The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DontJudge
But then that makes it difficult for you lot to be able to work in different countries, because they've changed the system...and are you backing your homeland or dissing-can't quite tell. And i think i'm just doing advanced level 3 kinda thing, is that the same as advanced higher? Btw does this mean you have a scottish accent :teehee:

Yes, I have a very Scottish accent. Quite sexy I'm told.

I'm neither backing nor dissing it, I was trying to be very neutral about it. But I like the system we have atm, I can't say anything about this new system coming in because no one's experience it yet! But I'd prefer our system to using the English one, not because I think the English system is bad, I just think ours is better :tongue:

Sorry, I've never heard of an Advanced Level 3 qualification, so no, it's not the same as an Advanced Higher.

Emm, I don't think it'd make it more difficult for Scots to work abroad at all. There are Frameworks in place that allow employers to compare qualifications from other governments to their local ones, plus most people who go to work abroad have a Uni degree, and those are pretty much the same everywhere!
oh so they ARE changing it to the english way, well thats better for the long term. Ofcourse you appreciate your old way, doesn't everyone. Something we need to grasps of is CHANGE. Because it's something that'll always happen. And what dya mean you never heard of level 3-its normal a level!
Well i know two kind of scottish accents that exist. A quite one, girly one that sounds similar to scouse and a really rough, aggressive one-like that scottish comedian that dissed katie price's son. Now be truthfull tell me which one you got! :yep:

No they're just changing the system, we dunno if it'll be more like the English way or not, but I think it'll be even more different than it is now.

Normal A Level is Advanced Level 2, I thought?

I think the comedian you're talking about is Frankie Boyle. Yes, I have an accent like his, but my voice is deeper. :five:
Is this the right comedian?

Mind there are waaaaay more accents in Scotland than that, though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
5th Year

Hardest
H Chemistry (achieved a C)
H Maths (achieved a C)
H English (achieved an A)
H Music Technology (achieved a C :frown: )
H Gaelic (achieved an A)
Easiest

6th Year

Hardest
AH English
H Chemistry
H Maths
H Music
Reply 23
5th Year
Hardest
H English
H German
H Maths
H Modern Studies
H Computing
Easiest

6th Year
Hardest
AH Maths
AH Modern Studies
AH Computing
Easiest
Out of 5th year subjects:

Hardest
H English
H Business Management
H Modern Studies
H History
Easiest

I know that a few people might think that english and business aren't too bad, but I didn't enjoy them as much so I didn't work as hard (my own fault). I had a lot of passion for History/Modern Studies and it all came a lot more naturally. I didn't take any sciences/maths-like-stuff etc last year so I can't comment on them :smile:
Reply 25
Guess I shouldn´t start about the Dutch educational system

Hardest
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Dutch
Latin
Greek
English
French
Easiest

I´m in my final year, I think that corresponds to year 13 in the UK. I am hopefully going to uni next year!
This thread is in Scottish Qualifications.
Reply 27
Hardest
Higher French - have no abilities with languages and no idea why i chose it!
Higher Physics - All the calcs confuse me, there are so many!
Higher English - Don't really know what my essays are meant to be like and hate CR!
Higher Maths - Great teacher & understand it all but remembering it's going to be the problem
Higher RMPS - Buddhism is pretty simple and I get it all cause it links together really well and just started the belief and science unit - seems really interesting but some of the science confuses me!
Easiest
Reply 28
5th Year
Hardest
- H English
- H Physical Education
- Int2 History
- Int2 Maths
Easiest

6th Year
Hardest
- H History
- H Modern Studies
- H English (resit)
- H RMPS
Easiest

College
Hardest
- H Psychology
- H Sociology
- H Maths
- H Geography
Reply 29
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Back when England had O Levels and A Levels, Scotland had them too. But when GCSEs were introduced, Scotland thought they could do better and introduced the new system.

Not quite, before the new system Scotland had O Grades, Highers and Certificate of Sixth Year Studies - basically standard grades (without the different levels), highers and advanced highers.
Original post by AnnB
Not quite, before the new system Scotland had O Grades, Highers and Certificate of Sixth Year Studies - basically standard grades (without the different levels), highers and advanced highers.

I remember AHs being called Sixth Year Studies when my teachers were at school, but they did Standard Grades and Highers. I was just going from what my dad said once "I left school before I could get any A Levels" and "Back when I did O Level..."

I just made the assumption from that :tongue:
Last year
Hardest
Higher Biology
Higher Maths
Higher German
Higher Chemistry
Higher English

This year
AH Maths
AH Chemistry
AH Biology
Higher History

6th year sucks. I hate it. To everyone who told me this year would be the best, and it would be a total skive, you lie.
But then that makes it difficult for you lot to be able to work in different countries, because they've changed the system...and are you backing your homeland or dissing-can't quite tell. And i think i'm just doing advanced level 3 kinda thing, is that the same as advanced higher? Btw does this mean you have a scottish accent :teehee:

No it doesn't. If Advanced Higher teaches you the same sort of thing you learn in A-level, perhaps with a little bit extra knowledge, depending on who you talk to, then why would that disadvantage us? Sure, it makes entry requirements from English uni's a complete and utter nightmare, but if you want it enough you'll go for the 3 A's. (Looking more and more difficult by the day). A-level and Advanced Higher are basically the same thing. It might make things a tidbit more difficult, going to somewhere with a different education system, but it could be worse.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
No it doesn't. If Advanced Higher teaches you the same sort of thing you learn in A-level, perhaps with a little bit extra knowledge, depending on who you talk to, then why would that disadvantage us? Sure, it makes entry requirements from English uni's a complete and utter nightmare, but if you want it enough you'll go for the 3 A's. (Looking more and more difficult by the day). A-level and Advanced Higher are basically the same thing. It might make things a tidbit more difficult, going to somewhere with a different education system, but it could be worse.

It's not just a tidbit more difficult, the majority of people on TSR think Advanced Highers are harder. See!

Oxford offer AAB for Advanced Highers where they would ask AAA at A-Level, I'd say it's a wee bit more than a tidbit :tongue:
This thread is a complete robbery of an existing thread for A-Level subjects.

Are you in fourth year? Fifth year? Sixth year? Left school? Rank the subject you are/were studying in order of difficulty!

5th year: Hardest
-Higher English
-Higher Chemistry
-Higher Biology = Higher Maths
-Higher French
Easiest

6th year: Hardest
-AH Chemistry
-AH Biology
-AH Maths
-Higher Physics
Easiest

6th year:

Hardest-AH Maths, AH Chemistry, H Music, AH Biology
Oxford offer AAB for Advanced Highers where they would ask AAA at A-Level, I'd say it's a wee bit more than a tidbit :tongue:

Whereas Cambridge and Imperial both make offers including bands in line with asking for percentages or A* from English students. Some other universities* even ask for higher grades of Scottish students than those offering A levels. Don't get me wrong, I do think that there are aspects that make A levels potentially easier (modular exams, for one) and that, in particular, AH maths compares fairly well with A level double maths. I just also think you're overstating the case and cherrypicking your evidence.

* ask Armaros - he has a bee in his bonnet about this, if I recall :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's not just a tidbit more difficult, the majority of people on TSR think Advanced Highers are harder. See!

The uni's I'm applying to don't seem to see much of a difference, they just lump me in with the rest. After I travelled half the way down the country to see them and all...:rolleyes: 3 A's at Advanced Higher. "Are you in your senses, man?!" *must be read in a posh English accent for full effect. Think Sherlock Holmes* But this year is gonna be eeeeeevil. Do A-levels have the ever-annoying and unpredictable investigations to do? Cos if they don't, I will be sending some Howlers to those universities. :yep: If they were asking for A*'s I might be a little more sympathetic.
Do A-levels have the ever-annoying and unpredictable investigations to do?

Yes.

If they were asking for A*'s I might be a little more sympathetic.

So far, around 9% of the cohort has received an A* - it's around double (or more) this for an A at Advanced Higher. Equating As with A*s would certainly be unjust.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Yes.

So far, around 9% of the cohort has received an A* - it's around double (or more) this for an A at Advanced Higher. Equating As with A*s would certainly be unjust.

That's alright then. No Howlers will be sent.
Reply 39
5th Year - Hardest
French
English
Modern Studies
History
Admin

6th Year
Adv History
Geography
RMPS