I'm doing OCR wbu? :smile:

saame
anyone else find it really hard?
Reply 21
I'm doing it on OCR and loving it :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Oli-Ol
I did Additional Maths last year and got an A :smile:

Was very happy with that, especially as I got a U in my mock.

I'm now doing Maths AS and I agree with what's already been said- Core 1 is literally revision of 3/4 of Add Maths, some more comes up in Core 2, some more in Stats and some more in Mechanics.

Our year went from September-March having no clue what we were being taught and freaking out about the exam, then in April/May everything just clicked. Just relax and make sure you do the work and do a bit of revision and you'll be fine.

Past Papers. Nothing like 'em. Trust me, past papers will get you the grade you want.

Will do them :biggrin: Thanks :smile:
Definitely doing Add Maths will make AS a doddle! It is essentially C1, Caluculs and trig in C2, aswell as Linear Programming from D1, Kinematics from M1, Binomial Theorem from S1!
Original post by kerily
Well, then they would be lying and potentially invalidating their application - and in any case, the OP didn't specify that they were applying to Cambridge, just 'Oxbridge' :sigh:

I wish that my school had offered this. I would have loved it :tongue:

You're right! I saw Oxbridge and for some reason assumed Cambridge, probably because we all know its the better for maths!
Original post by smooshh
saame
anyone else find it really hard?

Some people in my class fin it hard, but I personally find it fun (weirdo:s-smilie:). It's definitely challenging since it's essentially AS Maths( not quite).
Original post by v1k2a3t4
I'm doing it on OCR and loving it :biggrin:

Me too :smile: :wink::biggrin: :2euk48l:
Reply 27
Original post by GreenLantern1
Me too :smile: :wink::biggrin: :2euk48l:

I have actually turned into such a maths geek lately :cool:

Then again that's probably because I have the most amazing maths teacher ever :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Our exam is on Wednesday 30th March guys.

Is anyone going to revise for this. Since all my GCSEs and the 1 AS exam will be more important than this I am just going to do the few past papers available for us and hopefully get an A.

Should get an A as I believe it only varies from about 60-78 for an A grade!
Reply 29
I'm doing OCR Additional Maths. I personally find it enjoyable but some people in my class are struggling. I'm really glad I'm doing it though, because I'm doing Further Maths so I'll be sitting AS and A2 Maths next year, and looking at the spec, a lot of the AS has already been covered.

The only thing that annoys me is that there's no A* grade. This would be absolutely fine if it was well known, but I don't think it is, so people will view a B in Add Maths as worse than it really is. So I really want to get the A so that doesn't matter so much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by najabri
I'm doing OCR Additional Maths. I personally find it enjoyable but some people in my class are struggling. I'm really glad I'm doing it though, because I'm doing Further Maths so I'll be sitting AS and A2 Maths next year, and looking at the spec, a lot of the AS has already been covered.

The only thing that annoys me is that there's no A* grade. This would be absolutely fine if it was well known, but I don't think it is, so people will view a B in Add Maths as worse than it really is. So I really want to get the A so that doesn't matter so much.

Institutions like schools and colleges will know that a B is still good, just other people won't probably. You can just tell them that A is the highest!
Original post by blueray
I'm doing OCR wbu? :smile:

I thought it was you that made this thread. The exam approaches:eek:
Reply 32
I thought it was you that made this thread. The exam approaches:eek:

Lol yes it does :biggrin: Going to do more add maths today :smile:
I'm doing it as an IGCSE - thankfully, the IGCSE add maths has an A* grade. :smile:
I wish I got the chance of doing it but I never really know the course until sixth form and my old school is too average to do it :/ well at least I was doing real a level math from year 10 :biggrin:
I'm doing A2 maths atm, and for me it was a great bridge between GCSE and AS. (I did FSMQ OCR MEI). It's far longer than the C1 and C2 papers. Something like 14 big questions on the paper I sat?! We did the course over a year, and it wasn't timetabled, so we had like one lesson a week for 40 mins during lunch which wasn't ideal, and loads of people unfortunately got Us. I'd agree looking at it again recently some of the stuff was on a par with some of the C1 and C2 work, and even the S1 and M1. The grade boundaries for the year that I sat were really low (60% for an A), so it's quite a lot lower than for AS. Its a really great course to do, and I'd throughly recommend it. It makes AS maths much easier as so much has been covered before! Good luck to anyone sitting it this year :smile:
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
I'm doing A2 maths atm, and for me it was a great bridge between GCSE and AS. (I did FSMQ OCR MEI). It's far longer than the C1 and C2 papers. Something like 14 big questions on the paper I sat?! We did the course over a year, and it wasn't timetabled, so we had like one lesson a week for 40 mins during lunch which wasn't ideal, and loads of people unfortunately got Us. I'd agree looking at it again recently some of the stuff was on a par with some of the C1 and C2 work, and even the S1 and M1. The grade boundaries for the year that I sat were really low (60% for an A), so it's quite a lot lower than for AS. Its a really great course to do, and I'd throughly recommend it. It makes AS maths much easier as so much has been covered before! Good luck to anyone sitting it this year :smile:

Oh yh. Our teacher is giving us sheets in class from AddMaths past paper questions in our addmaths class and then sometimes he will just give us a whole C1 paper to do and they are on par in terms of difficulty; sometimes Addmaths is harder! And Addmaths has linear programming from D1 and trig and calculus from C2! Going to help me do maths and further maths and additional further maths in sixth form for sure!
Original post by blueray
Lol yes it does :biggrin: Going to do more add maths today :smile:

If you need any help just PM me, I don't mind as it is good practice for me too :smile::colondollar:
Oh yh. Our teacher is giving us sheets in class from AddMaths past paper questions in our addmaths class and then sometimes he will just give us a whole C1 paper to do and they are on par in terms of difficulty; sometimes Addmaths is harder! And Addmaths has linear programming from D1 and trig and calculus from C2! Going to help me do maths and further maths and additional further maths in sixth form for sure!

I agree that the standard does seem to be very similar, and across a really broad range of topics. I was astonished about how much of C1, C2, and M1 we covered in add maths (up to non-linear acceleration). There are bits and pieces in C1 and C2 I think that aren't covered in the FSMQ, but you get taught those anyway. Further maths is well worth doing. S1 you will have covered bits of (and its easy) and D1 is mostly new (apart from linear programming). FP1 is totally new, but a lot of fun if you enjoy maths. It's such a good opportunity, especially if its taught well and frequently enough! Good luck :smile:
Yes, and thank god there are no vectors :P

Quick Reply

Latest