The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London International Politics Offer Holders/Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by yasmyne
exactly the same with me! I was awfully confused when it happened, I didn't know they could do that? I've heard they did it because they didn't want to reject us as applicants but were unable to offer us a place on the BA International politics course. They do look extremely similar so I think I will still take it :smile: Congratulations though!

Yup. Tbh, I think all the applicants for our course are IP transfers!

I think it might be for the better though. We will be studying economics and politics :cool:.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 121
Definitely going to firm PIE. Congratulations for everyone with offers!
Reply 122
It would be great if someone created a Facebook group for IP and PIE offer holders. :smile:
Reply 123
Hi guys!

If anyone has questions about King's, be it about this specific course or another one, or anything else, make sure you ask on the King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March ‎thread as we are answering questions live straight from the King's offices!:smile:

Looking forward to your questions,
erklam from the King's team
Reply 124
Original post by erklam
Hi guys!

If anyone has questions about King's, be it about this specific course or another one, or anything else, make sure you ask on the King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March ‎thread as we are answering questions live straight from the King's offices!:smile:

Looking forward to your questions,

Will there be anymore offers for this two courses? I still received none.
Reply 125
Original post by Jack3107

If you haven't been rejectedyet, it means you are still in for an offer. I received mine a couple of days ago. Just keep calm and waiting. :smile:
Reply 126
Original post by Eastern
If you haven't been rejectedyet, it means you are still in for an offer. I received mine a couple of days ago. Just keep calm and waiting. :smile:

But I can't attend the open week if I receive my offer later than that, right?:frown:
Reply 127
Original post by Jack3107

As said above, if you haven't received an answer yet, it means that King's is still considering your application. Due to the really high number of applicants, it can unfortunately take quite a long time for King's to get back to you. I am a first year student here, and I received my offer last year in mid-April. So don't worry, offers are still going out!:smile:

Good luck and please post in the Open Week thread if you have any further questions:smile:

Original post by VolcanicArmado
Hi all,

I'm currently reading International Politics at KCL, so would be happy to answer any questions you might have, also want to get as much disinformation off the site as possible.

Regards,

VA

Heya I was wondering how the course is, what you feel your career options are and what the official bachelor is you are getting. I got an offer but am doubting the two different courses I got accepted to.
I study International Politics at KCL. I'm in my first year, and I recall having so many questions this time last year! If you have any queries that I might be able to help with, feel free to message or quote me and I'll get back to you ASAP.
Reply 130
Original post by dorian gray
I study International Politics at KCL. I'm in my first year, and I recall having so many questions this time last year! If you have any queries that I might be able to help with, feel free to message or quote me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Hey Dorian.

Has your experience of International Politics been affected by the relatively new nature of the course? I hold an offer for Politics of the International Economy (which is even newer) and am afraid that both courses may not carry the same quality of teaching seen in other departments (ie Law).

And my final question, does King's help students gain internship/placement opportunities or are students expected to arrange this themselves?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by skay
Hey Dorian.

Has your experience of International Politics been affected by the relatively new nature of the course? I hold an offer for Politics of the International Economy (which is even newer) and am afraid that both courses may not carry the same quality of teaching seen in other departments (ie Law).

And my final question, does King's help students gain internship/placement opportunities or are students expected to arrange this themselves?

Thanks in advance :smile:

My experience of the course has not been adversely affected by it being fairly new. The administrators, lecturers and seminar tutors have done a terrific job in ensuring that we receive excellent teaching!

That said, they are still honing the minor details of the courses (for example, the structure of the seminars), so the course will be improved by this time next year.

Moreover, the Politics of the International Economy course actually shares its first three modules (Studying Politics, World Politics Since 1945 & Introduction to Political Theory) with the International Politics course. So, in those three modules, you would be studying topics which the university have been teaching for years now. However, I cannot speak for the other modules, as I am unaware of the structure of Mathematics/Business degrees.

In regard to the internship, the university provide us ample time to acquire one and offer us a talk on how to achieve this. Alongside this, we have a member of staff in the Internship Office dedicated to our course. In fact, I just met him this morning, and he was incredibly helpful in answering my queries about finding an internship.

That said, we are expected to find them ourselves. The university doesn't simply make a phone call and arrange one for us. Nor should they, in my opinion. What they do, is facilitate the opportunity for us to gain an internship while studying our degree. This is one of the best aspects of the course, in my opinion.

Personally, I work in the Houses of Parliament on my day off. I arranged this by myself by simply emailing my local MPs (from my home town) and two of them were able to offer placements. While this does not count towards the 'Internship Module' (as it takes place during Y1, as opposed to after the end of Y1), it is a unique opportunity which you would only get in London.

I hope this was useful.

Best,

K
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 132
My experience of the course has not been adversely affected by it being fairly new. The administrators, lecturers and seminar tutors have done a terrific job in ensuring that we receive excellent teaching!

That said, they are still honing the minor details of the courses (for example, the structure of the seminars), so the course will be improved by this time next year.

Moreover, the Politics of the International Economy course actually shares its first three modules (Studying Politics, World Politics Since 1945 & Introduction to Political Theory) with the International Politics course. So, in those three modules, you would be studying topics which the university have been teaching for years now. However, I cannot speak for the other modules, as I am unaware of the structure of Mathematics/Business degrees.

In regard to the internship, the university provide us ample time to acquire one and offer us a talk on how to achieve this. Alongside this, we have a member of staff in the Internship Office dedicated to our course. In fact, I just met him this morning, and he was incredibly helpful in answering my queries about finding an internship.

That said, we are expected to find them ourselves. The university doesn't simply make a phone call and arrange one for us. Nor should they, in my opinion. What they do, is facilitate the opportunity for us to gain an internship while studying our degree. This is one of the best aspects of the course, in my opinion.

Personally, I work in the Houses of Parliament on my day off. I arranged this by myself by simply emailing my local MPs (from my home town) and two of them were able to offer placements. While this does not count towards the 'Internship Module' (as it takes place during Y1, as opposed to after the end of Y1), it is a unique opportunity which you would only get in London.

I hope this was useful.

Best,

K

Hey Dorian, thanks for the informative post! It's great to hear such positive feedback from an actual student.

You have reinforced my decision to firm King's :smile:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/295218140546944/members/

International Relations and Politics of the International Economy offer holders group :smile:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions.

1. How many BA IP students are there a year?
2. Are there any overseas opportunities/fieldtrips during the period of the course?

thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)

Hey! I'm seriously confused about this course. I have an offer for War Studies but I think it is probably way too theory based for me, plus I want to study politics in a wider context rather than just war. Thinking of switching to IP, how much current affairs is involved in it? For example, the International Relations course at LSE is pretty much my idea of perfect (but I didn't get an offer, and wouldn't want to be at LSE anyway):

The Arab-Israeli Conflict: Nationalism, Territory, Religion
The International History of the Cold War, 1945-1975
The Cold War and European Integration, 1947-1992

This kind of stuff as well as Globalization, political ideologies, the war in Iraq etc. is what I am really interested in, is there scope for me to study this under IP?

Am I too late to switch?

I am in Australia right now for another three weeks which is so f-ing annoying because I really just want to go to London right now and ask someone! And it meant that I couldn't go to any of the open days :mad:

Thanks! If anyone else can answer these questions please do!
Original post by phiddy23
Hey! I'm seriously confused about this course. I have an offer for War Studies but I think it is probably way too theory based for me, plus I want to study politics in a wider context rather than just war. Thinking of switching to IP, how much current affairs is involved in it? For example, the International Relations course at LSE is pretty much my idea of perfect (but I didn't get an offer, and wouldn't want to be at LSE anyway):

The Arab-Israeli Conflict: Nationalism, Territory, Religion
The International History of the Cold War, 1945-1975
The Cold War and European Integration, 1947-1992

This kind of stuff as well as Globalization, political ideologies, the war in Iraq etc. is what I am really interested in, is there scope for me to study this under IP?

Am I too late to switch?

I am in Australia right now for another three weeks which is so f-ing annoying because I really just want to go to London right now and ask someone! And it meant that I couldn't go to any of the open days :mad:

Thanks! If anyone else can answer these questions please do!

I did International Politics last year, dropped out, and reapplied for war studies. I found that the Ipol course was very theory based and not at all focussed on what i wanted, which was conflict and security, but thats just me.
Reply 137

Roughly how many places are there on the course?

and how many applicants do you think there are?

Thanks
Reply 138
Original post by MrKay
Roughly how many places are there on the course?

and how many applicants do you think there are?

Thanks

I don't know what it's like this year, but in the post-offer open day for the 2012 entry cycle we were told that there were 200 places; 100 for PIE and 100 for IP students and that there were 10 candidates per place on the whole (they didn't specify the competition for each course). Based on our Facebook group page, about 180 people are actually taking the two courses.

I'm a first-year IP student by the way; if you have any other questions, give me a shout! :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by rccs1993
I don't know what it's like this year, but in the post-offer open day for the 2012 entry cycle we were told that there were 200 places; 100 for PIE and 100 for IP students and that there were 10 candidates per place on the whole (they didn't specify the competition for each course). Based on our Facebook group page, about 180 people are actually taking the two courses.

I'm a first-year IP student by the way; if you have any other questions, give me a shout! :smile:

Is it what you expected? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest