The Student Room Group

Gave someone number who I regret, is it ok to ignore texts?

ok STUPIDLY and SELFISHLY i gave someone my number because i didn't want to offend them when they asked and i soooooo regret it now he has text me a few times and i, being a chicken, have ignored them.

is this ok? or should i text saying sorry, not interested? because that seems harsh, surely he'll get the message if i just ignore? i don't want to reply friendly because that would be misleading..

i don't know what to do and i feel really guilty...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bellissima
ok STUPIDLY and SELFISHLY i gave someone my number because i didn't want to offend them when they asked and i soooooo regret it now he has text me a few times and i, being a chicken, have ignored them.

is this ok? or should i text saying sorry, not interested? because that seems harsh, surely he'll get the message if i just ignore? i don't want to reply friendly because that would be misleading..

i don't know what to do and i feel really guilty...

What happened to get you to give your number? It's a bit rude to ignore them as you have already led him on by giving your number. Can't you met up as friends? It also depends on if you will see them out and about
Reply 2
Original post by dreamer247
What happened to get you to give your number? It's a bit rude to ignore them as you have already led him on by giving your number. Can't you met up as friends? It also depends on if you will see them out and about

well we were just talking and we had been talking about half an hour i just met them randomly i thought we were just being friendly chatting so i gave him my number when he asked when i said i had to go (my stop came we were on train sitting at same table), i didn't really want to say no and at the same time i hadn't flirted or anything and thought it was purely friendly chit chat, then he started sending me texts like "hey babe what's going on :wink: xxxx" "alrte bbe how are you xxx" etc. and it kind of freaked me out because i only met him like once and i don't like to be called that by someone i only spoke to for 30 mins so i didn't reply... i only gave it to him not to be rude!!

i will never see him again unless i reply to his text but i still feel guilty he is still a person..
Reply 3
well we were just talking and we had been talking about half an hour i just met them randomly i thought we were just being friendly chatting so i gave him my number when he asked when i said i had to go (my stop came we were on train sitting at same table), i didn't really want to say no and at the same time i hadn't flirted or anything and thought it was purely friendly chit chat, then he started sending me texts like "hey babe what's going on :wink: xxxx" "alrte bbe how are you xxx" etc. and it kind of freaked me out because i only met him like once and i don't like to be called that by someone i only spoke to for 30 mins so i didn't reply... i only gave it to him not to be rude!!

i will never see him again unless i reply to his text but i still feel guilty he is still a person..

Ah I see. I wouldn't like that either. I would reply and just say 'hey it was nice meeting you but please don't call me babe, might see you on the train again soon'....something like that anyway
And this ladies is why you don't give your number out to everyone who asks.
Reply 5
Original post by TheInformer
And this ladies is why you don't give your number out to everyone who asks.

i dont usually i just felt bad and we got on on the train and stuff i just felt rude
i dont usually i just felt bad and we got on on the train and stuff i just felt rude

Live and learn.

Why feel bad? if you don't want to give him your number don't, you're just leading him on by giving it to him as some guys don't know that girls give out their number to almost anyone.
Just ignore him, he will get the hint eventually.
Reply 8
Ignore him and learn to say no.
I met someone once in a club; they kept on and on and on for my number, so in the end when Radio 1 were doing the 'fake number' thing (not sure if they still do it?), I gave him that number instead! Harsh but at least I didn't have him ringing/texting off my phone and being a general arse! lol
Don't ignore him, that's rude tbh, just tell him you're not interested...
Reply 11
Original post by TheInformer
Live and learn.

Why feel bad? if you don't want to give him your number don't, you're just leading him on by giving it to him as some guys don't know that girls give out their number to almost anyone.

Girls often say 'yes' because it feels rude to say 'no' and (in my experience) guys are either offended (often retaliating with a cutting remark such as "well, I thought you were a 3/10 anyway!") or will adamantly demand "Why not??". To which there is no nice answer.

Very stressful. Especially if it's in a social situation where you are likely to meet again. :frown:

When this tricky situation arises, I usually ask for their number (and then never call them) or I pretend I haven't got my phone with me (and "I don't memorize my own number").
i seem to have a habit of getting drunk on nights out and giving my number to guys and then days later i get texts and i have no idea who they are lol :/ so i just ignore!
I was in this situation once aswell where I gave this guy my number (because I do have a problem saying no in certain situations - which I'm working on) and usually the guys I give my numbers to are ones I really liked and don't mind when they text me.
With this guy however I thought I was just being friendly and that was the end of it, but soon he was asking me when he could take me out for a drink, etc. and I realised I didn't even wanna stay in contact with him that much anymore, so I would dodge the question and mention other stuff I'd be doing(giving no hint that he would be a part of it) then I evenually started ignoring texts and he got the message :colondollar:
Reply 14
Should of given him a fake number if you were trying to be polite but didn't want anything to come of it.
Ah I see. I wouldn't like that either. I would reply and just say 'hey it was nice meeting you but please don't call me babe, might see you on the train again soon'....something like that anyway

soon as i seen this i was like awww what a bltch but having read this, your anything but lol. As for the advice above, are you serious? Thats way to blunt

Text him back a few days later or something, or if you text back within a reasonable timescale, just be friendly, but dont try to expand the convo lol.

e.g if he asks whats the craic or asks what are you at tonight, you could reply, hey not much, think I am going to take it easy the night!

If you reply like so, its in a friendly tone but he will also get the picture that you don't want the convo to go any further. I think that's a bit more polite rather than bluntness above!

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
The texts he sent you sound very cringe-worthy; texting him to say you aren't interested would be the most honest and direct way to stop this guy from getting the wrong idea, but if you don't want to risk hurting his feelings or having to explain yourself to him as to why not, lie by saying you already have a bf, or make it clear that you just want to be friends.
Original post by mark147celts
soon as i seen this i was like awww what a bltch but having read this, your anything but lol. As for the advice above, are you serious? Thats way to blunt

Text him back a few days later or something, or if you text back within a reasonable timescale, just be friendly, but dont try to expand the convo lol.

e.g if he asks whats the craic or asks what are you at tonight, you could reply, hey not much, think I am going to take it easy the night!

If you reply like so, its in a friendly tone but he will also get the picture that you don't want the convo to go any further. I think that's a bit more polite rather than bluntness above!

Good luck! :smile:

Why was I a bitch at first? lol.
Why was I a bitch at first? lol.

when i seen the post title on the forum I was like thats your fault lol, but having read it, you were just trying to be friendly. Your guy should get the hint if you takes ages to reply etc lol. If not then he's simple lol

just realised this wasnt the person who started the topic. I guess i'm the numpty for gettin mixed up lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I met someone once in a club; they kept on and on and on for my number, so in the end when Radio 1 were doing the 'fake number' thing (not sure if they still do it?), I gave him that number instead! Harsh but at least I didn't have him ringing/texting off my phone and being a general arse! lol

Flirt divert perchance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending