The Student Room Group

black girls with blonde hair

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Can work if you have a very good looking face and have good taste/rich so can afford nice clothes. Otherwise it looks ghetto.
Reply 61
When I see people with dark skin but light hair, it makes me want a Guiness :biggrin:
Original post by HunterPackLeader
Yep. the famous weave is the worst example. you know there is an image problem when black women are famous for having fake hair.

http://www.alternet.org/story/48280/

True in some cases, but have you ever had to deal with black African hair? I think not, because it is painful as hell to comb and takes ages to style. I've got a weave now because it is easy.. I wake up, shower, comb the weave out and I'm done, no stress,no pain and time to spare. During the holidays/when I'm not working it's a different story cause I can spend all the time I want dealing with my hair. So not every black woman you see with a weave has an image problem, it's for convenience in most cases.
People saying she should wear her hair natural, as an Afro, or black people in general.
An Afro is a hair style, not an evolutionary trait.

Black people have a range of hair types, like they do a range of colours.

Now, if op straightens her hair, she's hardly turning her back on her heritage. She is doing what everyone else does and experimenting. Also perhaps she straightens it because its easier to manage straight.

Just because she's black doesn't mean that she doesn't have the right to experiment with her hair. It's ridiculous and rather oppressive to say just because you are a certain colour you shouldn't do some thing with yourself, or you shouldn't alter your appearance.

Now, my advice to you, do what ever you want! Katy perry dyes her hair blue? Nobody has a problem, but a brown lady dyes her hair blonde- oh no!

Some colours suit some people better, but people saying only light skin black people can pull it off. No, anyone can so long as they chose the right tone to suit them.

http://www.nairaland.com/download/241694
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Sir Fox
I consider it ... strange. The darker the skin, the stranger it looks. Just tried to imagine a girl from the Congo with blonde hair ... What's wrong about black hair, it looks beautiful.

EDIT: I was just going to say that as long as you like it, that's fine, but as true as that sounds, it's actually not true. 99% of all people care about other people's opinion more or less, so if you love it but everyone else starts to gossip about it, you won't be too happy either :frown:

I agree with this 100% :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by HunterPackLeader
Yep. the famous weave is the worst example. you know there is an image problem when black women are famous for having fake hair.

http://www.alternet.org/story/48280/

I don't where weaves or relax my hair and I am thankful for that.
Woah but that article maan. Damn. I have no response :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Original post by coca
Would you accuse white people who use fake tan of self-hate?

Yes, fake tan is stupid.
It's a little different though, it is perfectly possible for a white person to be tanned. Unless they come from that one particular pacific island black people are not blonde.

It doesn't look good in my opinion, not even on beyonce, who I swear has lightened her skin anyway.
But then I hate any look that is quite obviously fake, no matter what the persons skin colour.
Reply 67
Original post by coca
Would you accuse white people who use fake tan of self-hate?

I would. Imo i don't see why you would ever want to change the colour of you skin, even if it's temporary. Just be cool with being pale. Pale skin is lovely!
I could not help but contribute to this , given the number of offensive and misinformed comments .
I will not address each post I found problematic just the " spirit " of some of the posts.
1. Black girls have an image issue hence them " trying to be white " or having fake hair . Such a sweeping generalisation smacks of ignorance if not bigotry . I do not wish to deny that in mainstream "western" culture beauty ideals have been for long based on European features and that those are internalised by most people in these places regardless of ethnicity , eg : current obsession with being thin ect .Those who believe Black women are more prone to self hate may want to educate themselves on how Afro hair can be difficult to manage , on the prejudice and negative expectations that some women may encounter because of their natural hair . This is not solely an image issue . Denying cultural and societal forces is both unhelpful and offensive as it locate any "pathology" in the individual while failing to recognise issues related to oppression .

2. In terms of Black women 'purported self hate . Again , I am sure some black women who do have these procedures want to be white . How about white white women who tan , have butt implants or inject their lips with all types of substances to make them fuller . Do they want to be African or hate their ethnic heritage ? Of course not . This claim is as stupid as the view that all black women with straight hair / extensions / blond hair hate themselves .In fact empirically black women have been found to have more positive body image ...

3. The fact is that beauty standards are always evolving and include many features which are more reflective of other ethnic groups '. The ideal women if it existed I am sure may be an amalgamation of the typical features of various ethnic groups .

4. Finally to go back to whether blond hair look good on black women .This really is a non question. Do thick lips look good on white women ? It simply depends as some have already expressed . Skin/hair tone , hair texture , hair styles are factors that have already been discussed . I would also add confidence and generally level of attractiveness to start with . Those who are more attractive are more likely to pull off unconventional styles regardless of ethnicity . This may be because we are generally more tolerant of difference in people we consider beautiful or simply because a hairstyle is simply not going to make someone attractive suddenly ugly .
(edited 11 years ago)
I saw this black girl I know in town with bleached blonde hair the other day, at first I thought 'wtf kind of fake tan mishap have you had, random stranger?' then realised who it was and remembered when she used to look really nice.
As long as it's a sort of dark blonde, it might look ok but whatever you do, do not bleach your hair to the lightest blonde imaginable, because it looks stupid
Original post by medic_armadillo7
You are such a bigot!!!

I could not agree more .
I was wondering whether I was the only one thinking this .
Thanks for thinking aloud .
Original post by medic_armadillo7
You are such a bigot!!!

and proud!1112212 :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Princessblack
I could not agree more .
I was wondering whether I was the only one thinking this .
Thanks for thinking aloud .

for speaking the truth? :rofl2:
Original post by Princessblack
I could not help but contribute to this , given the number of offensive and misinformed comments .
I will not address each post I found problematic just the " spirit " of some of the posts.
1. Black girls have an image issue hence them " trying to be white " or having fake hair . Such a sweeping generalisation smacks of ignorance if not bigotry . I do not wish to deny that in mainstream "western" culture beauty ideals have been for long based on European features and that those are internalised by most people in these places regardless of ethnicity , eg : current obsession with being thin ect .Those who believe Black women are more prone to self hate may want to educate themselves on how Afro hair can be difficult to manage , on the prejudice and negative expectations that some women may encounter because of their natural hair . This is not solely an image issue . Denying cultural and societal forces is both unhelpful and offensive as it locate any "pathology" in the individual while failing to recognise issues related to oppression .

2. In terms of Black women 'purported self hate . Again , I am sure some black women who do have these procedures want to be white . How about white white women who tan , have butt implants or inject their lips with all types of substances to make them fuller . Do they want to be African or hate their ethnic heritage ? Of course not . This claim is as stupid as the view that all black women with straight hair / extensions / blond hair hate themselves .In fact empirically black women have been found to have more positive body image ...

3. The fact is that beauty standards are always evolving and include many features which are more reflective of other ethnic groups '. The ideal women if it existed I am sure may be an amalgamation of the typical features of various ethnic groups .

4. Finally to go back to whether blond hair look good on black women .This really is a non question. Do thick lips look good on white women ? It simply depends as some have already expressed . Skin/hair tone , hair texture , hair styles are factors that have already been discussed . I would also add confidence and generally level of attractiveness to start with . Those who are more attractive are more likely to pull off unconventional styles regardless of ethnicity . This may be because we are generally more tolerant of difference in people we consider beautiful or simply because a hairstyle is simply not going to make someone attractive suddenly ugly .

:rofl2: put a cork in it and fry up some kfc
Reply 74
Original post by flowermaster91
:rofl2: put a cork in it and fry up some kfc

Wow, reeeeally not surprised you are an Odd Future fan.
Original post by joonie
wow, reeeeally not surprised you are an odd future fan.

got all the black bitches mad coz my main bitch vanilla :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
My black friend died his hair blonde and earned the nickname 'Guinness'
Reply 77
Original post by flowermaster91
got all the black bitches mad coz my main bitch vanilla :angry:

LMAO, I was waiting for this sort of reply. Nice one. You're pretty funny when you want to be!
Original post by Joonie
LMAO, I was waiting for this sort of reply. Nice one. You're pretty funny when you want to be!

:fan:
Reply 79
hate it

Original post by GeneralOJB
Depends how black you are..

but yeh if you're a 1/4 or a 1/3 (don't ask me how that happens but it does) then I guess it's OK if you look more white than black

Quick Reply

Latest