The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
Does anyone else feel like they are just going to wait and do the UKCAT then see where to apply based on the score?

Yep, one of the things i've realised recently is that in a lot of cases university selection makes a bigger difference than actual grades/ukcat/etc.

So i've got a fairly large shortlist of about 9 and then'll decide later based on UKCAT & A level predictions and stuff.
Has anyone who has registered for the king's college open day heard back/received their ticket?
Original post by Orinincandenza
Yep, one of the things i've realised recently is that in a lot of cases university selection makes a bigger difference than actual grades/ukcat/etc.

So i've got a fairly large shortlist of about 9 and then'll decide later based on UKCAT & A level predictions and stuff.

Yea, I'm still unsure although there are 2 (St George's and Birmingham) that I think I'll definitely be applying to. May change though :tongue: then its Imperial, UCL, Leeds, Nottingham, Newcastle and Southampton.

Just need to start finding the right ones! (after exams :tongue:)
Reply 2483
Original post by bloomingblossoms
Has anyone who has registered for the king's college open day heard back/received their ticket?

of course!

I applied on the day applying started and they emailed it to me straight away, so it's printed now.
Got my ticket for Kings 24th July :smile:

Anyone actually get Sutton Trust from here?

Also, anyone apply for Nuffield?
Just booked my UKCAT. Everything seems to be getting serious now. It's quite scary but exciting. I really hope the staff lady who was there at my driving theory isn't working then. She didn't exactly calm me down.
Original post by Boom533
Got my ticket for Kings 24th July :smile:

Anyone actually get Sutton Trust from here?

Richyp22 did. I kinda wish I had applied now :tongue:
Original post by AtomicMan
rejected from cambo sutton trust :teehee:

me too, but i got bumped on to a FE summer school for biolpogical sciences. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it because I haven't heard from this project thing I'm applying for which is medicine related.

Does anyone know if any of the university offer financial aid for transport to open days- I really want to go and have a look at UCL but I'm not sure I can afford the travel costs?
Reply 2488
Original post by Boom533

I did, no response yet :/ 1 day late so far... :redface:
Original post by erniiee
Richyp22 did. I kinda wish I had applied now :tongue:

yay, go RichyP :biggrin:

Wasn't going to, but then my school had this thing where they get all the people that just left to go to uni back for a day so we can talk to them about applications, and they said it was worth applying, so I just rushed it and sent it in :/ probably not going to get it, but whatever...got nothing else to do over summer anyway :/
Original post by Gcayte
I did, no response yet :/ 1 day late so far... :redface:

lol it's only been a day :P that application form was kinda weird...the section for host projects was dodgy :/

are you setting your own one up, or letting them set one up? Also, what did you put as your area of interest thing?
Reply 2491
Original post by Boom533
lol it's only been a day :P that application form was kinda weird...the section for host projects was dodgy :/

are you setting your own one up, or letting them set one up?

I know, I know, but I could be setting up other things as I doubt I'll get in :redface:
And I know, I was unsure of what to put in the personal statement thingy. And Im asking them to get me one, on the list of projects last year there was a alzheimer's research one at Nottingham Uni so Id like to do that or something similar :smile: Im not too bothered about the money, I just want the experience :redface:
What about you? :smile: Did you put you want to do medicine? :rolleyes:
Original post by Boom533

are you setting your own one up, or letting them set one up? Also, what did you put as your area of interest thing?

I applied :woo: Our nuffield coordinator asked to leave that bit blank. I was holding my hand over my eyes when i opened my emails yesterday. This is my last chance from what I've applied to so far! :smile:

I hope i still get a placement, it would be a amazing experience :biggrin:
Original post by Pride
of course!

I applied on the day applying started and they emailed it to me straight away, so it's printed now.

I applied whilst it still said open but was added to the waitlist- I assumed this had been the case for everyone..obviously not. :flutter:
Reply 2494
Has anybody seen anything about Leeds Uni open days?

Also, I can'd find the Medicine wiki page on here with the massive table of entry requirements on it!

Anybody fancy linking me up?
Original post by Gcayte
I know, I know, but I could be setting up other things as I doubt I'll get in :redface:
And I know, I was unsure of what to put in the personal statement thingy. And Im asking them to get me one, on the list of projects last year there was a alzheimer's research one at Nottingham Uni so Id like to do that or something similar :smile: Im not too bothered about the money, I just want the experience :redface:
What about you? :smile: Did you put you want to do medicine? :rolleyes:

Yeah if I don't get in, I'm just gonna get a job at the GP where I did WExp :smile: I kinda just put stuf about ECs for the first part and tried to relate them to science and then just talked about how I love science, stuff about bio olympiad blah blah on the 2nd section. yeah same, hope I get somehting genetics/disease-related.
Lol I didn't know we got money until you just said that :P £80 will just about cover travel+lunch anyway :frown:

and i put I was interested mainly in science and research coz my nuffield coord said not to put medicine, but I kinda mentioned in passing "biomed, or also med" something like that :/ did you?

Original post by Obsolescence
I applied :woo: Our nuffield coordinator asked to leave that bit blank. I was holding my hand over my eyes when i opened my emails yesterday. This is my last chance from what I've applied to so far! :smile:

I hope i still get a placement, it would be a amazing experience :biggrin:

Yeah I left all of it blank, but I put interested in bio/chem-genetics/disease research in one of the boxes.

hopefully everyone gets it, that'd be cool :P
Reply 2496
Original post by fletchdd02

Also, I can'd find the Medicine wiki page on here with the massive table of entry requirements on it!

Here you go: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 2497
Original post by Boom533
Yeah if I don't get in, I'm just gonna get a job at the GP where I did WExp :smile: I kinda just put stuf about ECs for the first part and tried to relate them to science and then just talked about how I love science, stuff about bio olympiad blah blah on the 2nd section. yeah same, hope I get somehting genetics/disease-related.
Lol I didn't know we got money until you just said that :P £80 will just about cover travel+lunch anyway :frown:

Yeah, Ill prob try get a week at GP's and then have loads of overtime at work and save the money for a car :tongue:
Yeah, thats what I did too, I linked in maths challenge and stuff like that and volunteering. I said that I wanted to do medicine, but I am sure I want to do a BSc so this will help me with that, not sure if that was the right thing to say :redface:
Yeah I guess, I'll have a bit left if I can still get on the train for a child, probably be about £35 for the month :cool:
Good Luck for yours anyway, you'll have to let us know if you hear anything! Which region are you in? (non-stalkerish way :colondollar:)
Original post by Boom533
yay, go RichyP :biggrin:

Wasn't going to, but then my school had this thing where they get all the people that just left to go to uni back for a day so we can talk to them about applications, and they said it was worth applying, so I just rushed it and sent it in :/ probably not going to get it, but whatever...got nothing else to do over summer anyway :/

Aha woo :smile: good luck!
Original post by fletchdd02

yea I've booked it - 23rd June :smile: cba to find that page unless its this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 2499
Original post by erniiee

yea I've booked it - 23rd June :smile:

Im going to that too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending