The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I've got an interview for a stockroom assistant position tomorrow.

Any tips?
Reply 581
be yourself:tongue:
Original post by Jessicana:)
Ahh same thing happened to me after i'd worked there 3 months they got me running ladieswear on a sunday when I was only 16, I was crapping myself and really scared about messing up/ managing people who are like up to 10 years older than me, needless to say it actaully worked out pretty well, and i run ladieswear every sunday and whenever the floor manager is on holiday :smile: how did you do running the home dept?

Completely fine thanks, in the end it was a bit of a non-event to be honest, I found it quite easy! A few stressful moments but it wouldn't be interesting if it was all easy-going haha.

I'm off the shop-floor now so it's not looking like I'll be doing the same again, but I enjoyed the full-time routine!
Reply 583
This week I didn't get my contract renewed after working there for nearly three months... A little bit gutted but on the other hand I didn't really have a positive experience working at Next, even though I had high expectations.

To put it bluntly, the management at my Next is terrible, they don't make you feel good about yourself whilst working there, the staff morale is at rock bottom and by the end of the day, you're itching to get as far away from the store as possible. The main manager isn't very nice, she is isn't very accommodating when it comes to changing your hours, weeks in advance which is a huge issue for me as I am a student, I have work to do for college that is my first priority, rather than slaving away every free day I have. Oh and not forgetting, the management messed up my wages meaning I didn't get paid for over a month and a half when I first started. So not impressed.

I don't know about anyone else but for me, Next isn't a very nice company to work for. Did anyone else have any problems/issues working here?
Reply 584
i had a fn call this week i have the job!! its all happned so quickly. i have no admin experience so a little nervous i will be out of my depth. i hear it may involve alot of telephone enquiries. any tips or advice and an idea what i will be doing will be great. i hope i fit in a next everyone seems so on the ball and glam.
Quick question: I've suddenly been asked to go to an interview tomorrow, and I simply don't have the balls to ask them to reschedule for me - problem is, the interview is at the time when my shift at Next finishes, only its about 20 minutes away. So am I best off calling in and saying I can't go into work tomorrow for whatever reason, or going in and then asking to leave half an hour or so early? I'm just a stockroom assistant, so its not like I'm important in the least, by the way...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply 586
Earlier on I mentioned if anyone is looking for a part time job for after school, well basically I'm stuck on my CV, can some please help me out? For my skills section I wrote Throughout my school studies I have gained a considerable amount of knowledge and skills in using computers. I have experience in using both Micro Media and Microsoft Office package and can carry out many other computer related tasks such as data entry, researching, video editing and web design. but I want to apply for a simple job such as shelf stacking or at the till, I really need help?? And are next good employers for 16 year olds?
Reply 587
Original post by noorul87
Earlier on I mentioned if anyone is looking for a part time job for after school, well basically I'm stuck on my CV, can some please help me out? For my skills section I wrote Throughout my school studies I have gained a considerable amount of knowledge and skills in using computers. I have experience in using both Micro Media and Microsoft Office package and can carry out many other computer related tasks such as data entry, researching, video editing and web design. but I want to apply for a simple job such as shelf stacking or at the till, I really need help?? And are next good employers for 16 year olds?

you don't need a CV for next,you apply online. I found them okay when I worked for them,I wasn't fussy though,work was work
Woohoo, got an interview. Only a 4 hour contract, I really hope there's a good bit of overtime, it's a busy store. 20 hours would be nice. Not too worried as I have loads of retail experience but I really want a job so don't want to mess it up.

I'm thinking black work trousers and a nice blouse. :smile:
Reply 589
Original post by hanaxo
you don't need a CV for next,you apply online. I found them okay when I worked for them,I wasn't fussy though,work was work

I'm not too fussy either, just looking for my first job, will leave school in a couple of weeks so just looking to pass my time during the holiday. And about the cv, i need that for applying in other companies, could you help me out on making my skills section, so far I done this Throughout my school studies I have gained a considerable amount of knowledge and skills in using computers. I have experience in using both Micro Media and Microsoft Office package and can carry out many other computer related tasks such as data entry, researching, video editing and web design. but i don't think thats related to shelf stackin, please help and thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 590
Original post by noorul87
I'm not too fussy either, just looking for my first job, will leave school in a couple of weeks so just looking to pass my time during the holiday. And about the cv, i need that for applying in other companies, could you help me out on making my skills section, so far I done this Throughout my school studies I have gained a considerable amount of knowledge and skills in using computers. I have experience in using both Micro Media and Microsoft Office package and can carry out many other computer related tasks such as data entry, researching, video editing and web design. but i don't think thats related to shelf stackin, please help and thank you for the reply :smile:

Yeah that's sounds ok but it's not really relevant to working in a shop.Id say something about organisational skills,working well in a team,using own initiative etc all the typical cliche stuff.Maybe mention you've a keen interest in fashion ?
to everyone whose applied online
could you only apply to positions that had vacancies or could you apply even if your local shop says there are no vacancies??
Reply 592
Anyone know what the stock assistant job is like? Do you get to go on the shop floor/tills at all?
Original post by Laura1234567890
to everyone whose applied online
could you only apply to positions that had vacancies or could you apply even if your local shop says there are no vacancies??

You don't get the option, it will just say 'No vacancies'. Sign up for email alerts so you'll always know when vacancies arise.
Original post by Lisaloop
Anyone know what the stock assistant job is like? Do you get to go on the shop floor/tills at all?

The work is mostly in the stock room, the only time you'd venture on the shop floor is if you're putting out new clothes (replenishment). Stockroom assistants don't operate the tills I'm afraid.

Still good work though, the hours fly by.
Reply 595
What is the uniform like for the stock assistant role? Is it less formal than the shop floor? I have applied for an eight hour contract. Do you know if the give more hours than that a week?
Thanks
Read back through the thread a bit. Apparently it is and you get to wear a fleece. You are guaranteed 8 hours a week but you can get more, but the max is 20 hours for part-time roles.

It might seem 'inferior' in a way not being on the shop floor or on tills, but seriously, not dealing with customers while still being busy is a big plus.
Original post by Lisaloop
What is the uniform like for the stock assistant role? Is it less formal than the shop floor? I have applied for an eight hour contract. Do you know if the give more hours than that a week?
Thanks

If you've been assigned to do replenishment, you'll have to wear formal clothing like a sales consultant since you will be on the floor. However most shifts where you remain in the stock room, you'll be given a few shirts to wear. There's two types at my store, a grey t-shirt with "next stock team" embroidered on the left breast; and the other is a navy polo shirt which I think is quite smart.

It can get quite cold so there's always several black Next fleeces lying around to wear. Thick high-vis coats as well if you happen to be moving the delivery from the truck outside to the stock room.

With the tops you can wear anything you like, but most stick to jeans. Nothing too outrageous.
Yep max is 20 hours, was hoping for maybe a higher cut-off point because this is ROI so maybe they're not as strict if the reason for it is PRSI or national insurance or whatever..but they are! Anyway a whole lot better than nothing. Interview went fine and lots of vacancies so I'm hopeful..
Reply 599
Original post by hanaxo
Yeah that's sounds ok but it's not really relevant to working in a shop.Id say something about organisational skills,working well in a team,using own initiative etc all the typical cliche stuff.Maybe mention you've a keen interest in fashion ?

Thanks for replies but do you think NEXT will take on 16 year old school leavers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending