The Student Room Group

OCR National 21st century additional science ideas in context exam

I have a science ideas in context exam on the 30th May. Last year I did well in this exam by creating possible questions that could be in the exam. I was wondering if anyone has any possible questions or tips they would like to share?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm also doing the exam myself and so far I have only found questions for the physics part. I was wondering if you had any questions for the biology or chemistry, if you do they would be a real life saver :smile: , here are the questions I have so far:
1. What is the National grid?
2What is the voltage of electricity produced in power stations?
3. What does the transformer do to the voltage when the electricity leaves the power station?
4. What does the transformer do to the voltage when the electricity arrives at the sub-station?
5. Who established the principles of alternating high-voltage power distribution?
6. What did Charles Merz do in 1901?
7. Where was the first major UK power station?
8. What is the problem with Britain’s electricity supply in 1925 and what is formed to solve the problem?
9. What is the frequency of the first nationwide a.c. grid?
10. What happens to the size of the voltage supply between 1933 and 1965?
11. What does ‘GW’ stand for?
12. What was the most amount of power that needed to be generated in the UK in 2005/6?
13. How much power could be produced if needed?
14. How many Exajoules of energy are used every year in the UK?
15. What was the total amount of power lost?
16. How many GWs were produced in the north and transferred to the south? What will this figure be in 2014?

Hope they help you!!
Reply 2
This is very helpful-its almost like a comprehention to the article.

some questions they could ask you about the biology - hypothermia:
1. what is hypothermia
2. what is the normal body range
3. what are the normal body symptoms of decrease body temperature
4. what are the stages of hypothermia
5. name two ways hypothermia can be avoided

:smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much! When I come up with some questions I will be posting them! My teacher has said not to make up questions where the answer could be found in the article! :smile:
Reply 4
thanks for the questions-they are helpful :smile:
anything for the chemistry section?
Reply 5
My teacher gave us these questions for chemistry. :biggrin:

The dangers and delights of chlorine and bromine Practice Questions
1.What are the chemical formulas for each of the halogen molecules?
2.Explain why the halogens are described as being diatomic atoms?
3.Write the electron configurations for fluorine, chlorine, and bromine.
4.Write the electron configurations for the fluoride, chloride, ad bromide ions.
5.Write the symbols of the fluoride, chloride, ad bromide ions.
6.Name the similarities and differences between each of the halogens.
7.State the trends of the halogens, in terms, of the colour of compound, state at room temperature, reactivity, and boiling and melting point.
8.Why is chlorine a gas at room temperature, use the table on page 4 of the article to help?
9.Draw the hazard symbols for: toxic, corrosive, harmful, and irritant.
10.Why is fluorine more toxic than chlorine?
11.Why would chlorine cause health problems, explain the mechanism of how it would cause these problems.
12.Explain why if chlorine is a hazard it is safe to use swimming pools.
13.What is the process used to separate chlorine from sea water?
14.Draw and annotate this process.
15.During this process, why does the chlorine compoun have to be in solution form?
16.What does an ionic compound mean?
17.Write down the formula for sodium chloride and magnesium chloride and explain why they are different.
18.Write down the equation for the reaction of sodium and chlorine, with symbols and state symbols.
19.What does electrostatic attraction mean and how does this relate to question 18.
20.List some uses of chlorine and bromine.
21.Explain what is meant by the term displacement.
22.Why is bromine separated through the process of displacement, what are some advantages of this process.
23.Write the symbol equation of sodium bromine and fluorine.
24.What is the state of a substance when it is dissolved in water?
25.What are the hazards with chlorine and bromine?
Reply 6
Heres some more questions for biology! :smile:

Hypothermia questions

1.What is homeostasis?
2.What is the “core” of your body
3.Why does the body shiver to keep warm?
4.Suggest why mountain climbers are particularly at risk of hypothermia
5.The article refers to “internal mechanisms” to control the body temperature. Describe what there mechanisms are and how they work.
6.Why would lips, fingers, and toes be pale or blue in moderate hypothermia?
7.Explain why removing wet clothing is beneficial to someone suffering from hypothermia
8.How does eating properly help mountain climbers to prevent hypothermia?
9.Why does the body maintain a steady temperature?
10. Suggest what might happen if someone’s core temperature drops below 28C.
Hi,
i was just wondering if anyone has the answers to the questions above..If so, please could you post them? Thankyou :smile:
Reply 8
Great thread, I'll keep track of it. I'll try and post some of the questions I was given for the Physics section in the next week or so, but I don't have a clue what the answer were. :confused:
Reply 9
I think I lost my Physics book :frown:
I need to ask my teacher if he has it, or Im screwed
Will repost these answers but realised I had made some mistakes!
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyone help me in the physics part of the ideas in context, as I am unsure of it, thanks in advance
Reply 12
Hi, I'm also doing the exam myself and so far I have only found questions for the physics part. I was wondering if you had any questions for the biology or chemistry, if you do they would be a real life saver , here are the questions I have so far:
1. What is the National grid?
2What is the voltage of electricity produced in power stations?
3. What does the transformer do to the voltage when the electricity leaves the power station?
4. What does the transformer do to the voltage when the electricity arrives at the sub-station?
5. Who established the principles of alternating high-voltage power distribution?
6. What did Charles Merz do in 1901?
7. Where was the first major UK power station?
8. What is the problem with Britain’s electricity supply in 1925 and what is formed to solve the problem?
9. What is the frequency of the first nationwide a.c. grid?
10. What happens to the size of the voltage supply between 1933 and 1965?
11. What does ‘GW’ stand for?
12. What was the most amount of power that needed to be generated in the UK in 2005/6?
13. How much power could be produced if needed?
14. How many Exajoules of energy are used every year in the UK?
15. What was the total amount of power lost?
16. How many GWs were produced in the north and transferred to the south? What will this figure be in 2014

help me plzz my exam in 1 :smile:))
Reply 13
Stupid question coming up.. But I have appalling teachers.. Can somebody tell me what GW stands for please?!
Reply 14
Original post by birdy_
Stupid question coming up.. But I have appalling teachers.. Can somebody tell me what GW stands for please?!

Giga watts Basically a billion watts :smile:
Reply 15
It says in the Physics part of the booklet than Nikola Tesla establishes the principles of alternating current high-voltage electrical power distribution but what is the principles of alternating current?
Reply 16
Original post by Springroo96
Giga watts Basically a billion watts :smile:

Thank you so much!
Reply 17
Does anyone know why any new power stations should be built in the south? PLease :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Springroo96
Does anyone know why any new power stations should be built in the south? PLease :smile:

Due to the large population living in the south
Reply 19
Good luck everyone Tomorrow, It should be an easy exam, all the answers will be in the insert you will all be fine. :biggrin: I personally need an A in this so im going to have to do well - fingers crossed -

Quick Reply

Latest