The Student Room Group

OCR f451 May 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How did eveyone find the exam i thought i was piss although i didnt like how there were 2 essay questions :-\
what did you all put for the second essay questions?
also didnt like the question about the 6 year old program or the question on turning from lan to wan
over all it was good i think
I thought the second essay question wasn't too bad, but for the first I'd forgotten most of the parts of the CPU and the buses, and the BCD question really annoyed me. Wasn't too bad overall though
Reply 42
for the first one all i said was
CPU - controls the FED cycle, controls the buses
ALU - gateway to processor does logical and arithmetic cals
MEM - talked about registers

then said what the buses etc

the BCD i think was
the number was 123? so would be 0001 0010 0110
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marland
the BCD i think was
the number was 123? so would be 0001 0010 0110

Yeah, it was. I know I've done that in electronics, but I couldn't remember it at all. How did you do it?
Reply 44
Original post by pratstercs
Yeah, it was. I know I've done that in electronics, but I couldn't remember it at all. How did you do it?

The BCD of 123 should be 0001 0010 0011

Think of it this way. Take each number as 4 bits:

1 = 0001
2 = 0010
3 = 0011

Then just put them together: 0001 0010 0011
Reply 45

Sorry yer was 0011 :-P
Who on Earth would hire a blind secretary?
Original post by OneMorePanda

Yeah, I thought that. It didn't make much sense.

Original post by Craigg

1 = 0001
2 = 0010
3 = 0011

Oh yeah!
Reply 48
i know wdf easy question
OCR reader
mircophone
speakers
braille keyboard
Reply 49
Original post by OneMorePanda

Lmao yeah that came up in post exam conversation! When I browsed over it I thought it said "Club security", that was a suprise lol.

I thought it went alright, I had no teacher until 2 months ago for computing so + I'm a lazy ass so did no work in class/revision till night before lol but I reckon it went well, and that kinda worries me, given situation I couldn't of got the A I wanted!

I didn't know the 9 marker for knowledge base systems, I think I saw it in a past paper to, pretty annoying, for the next question on it I wrote they get the information of the engineer and store it, not sure if that was right. The first essay I defined and stated purposes/functions fine but I had no idea how they worked together lol, I wrote a ton for the last essay question a bunch of it from a past paper question on peoples jobs and computers taking over them. Also didn't know how to do the BCD question should of learnt that :L! Someone explained the two's magnitude to me before the exam I think I got those right lol.

Also for the LAN hardware question I wrote modem to connect them to a phone line, and connect them together wirelessly lol had no idea what to write for that, I think I remember seeing an answer like that in a past paper so just scribbled it down.

I hope they keep up the low grade boundries there seems to be!
Reply 50
Original post by marland
i know wdf easy question
OCR reader
mircophone
speakers
braille keyboard

CRAP I was thinking of writing OCR reader but I didn't no idea why! I wrote microphone/speakers at least :L
Reply 51
Original post by Implo
CRAP I was thinking of writing OCR reader but I didn't no idea why! I wrote microphone/speakers at least :L

I struggled a bit on this question. For my peripherals I used:

Braille keyboard

Speakers

Scanner

I was unsure on the scanner but I said that it could be used to input hand-written information since the secretary couldn't read it.

I totally forgot about a microphone. It would have been safer to go with that :P
Reply 52
I thought it was a little bit harder than the past papers... the essay questions were a killer for me and I HATE KNOWLEDGE BASE SYSTEMS.
Doubt I got A but meh, im only in year 10 :smile:
Reply 53
What a pisstake...
TWO QWC questions?

Oh and the knowledge base one :|

Apart from that it was good I reckon..
Reply 54
Original post by Craigg

1 = 0001
2 = 0010
3 = 0011

Damn. I did that then for some reason I said that answer = 100100011 as I thought you had to get rid of 0's at start.

Guess it was 3 marks, so I will still get 2?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
I thought this was an alright exam. Could easily have lost a ton of marks though due to the stupid mark schemes... and I'm pretty annoyed that I didn't think of putting OCR for the stupid blind secretary question.

oh well, over now!
Reply 56
Original post by Dubes
Damn. I did that then for some reason I said that answer = 100100011 as I thought you had to get read of 0's at start.

Guess it was 3 marks, so I will still get 2?

Yeah, I would say two. Maybe 3 if you're lucky but it's usually 1 mark per nibble
Reply 57
Original post by ummm
I thought this was an alright exam. Could easily have lost a ton of marks though due to the stupid mark schemes... and I'm pretty annoyed that I didn't think of putting OCR for the stupid blind secretary question.

oh well, over now!

The reason I didn't put it is because it asked for peripherals, not software
Reply 58
Original post by Craigg

True, you wouldn't get a mark.
Reply 59
Original post by Craigg

Original post by KamilS
True, you wouldn't get a mark.

I guess you could say a scanner with built in OCR though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending