The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

International students and Aber accommodation

Hello everyone,

I am from the United States and have a conditional offer from Aberystwyth for the English literature and creative writing course. I'm running a little behind in terms of paperwork and need to complete and submit a financial declaration form before my place can be confirmed. I've been pretty stressed out by student stories about accommodation shortages. Does anyone know how likely it is that I'll get a single room this late in the year? I think I'd like Trefloyne, but have no idea how quickly rooms there are taken. I'm not really into partying, and need space of my own to study. I'm also considered a "mature" student, as I'll be 22 when term starts, and don't particularly want to bunk with someone in their teens. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
AND BREATHE!

If you are a conditional offer applicant then don't worry about accommodation yet. The only applicants to Aberystwyth who have already been allocated/confirmed their accommodation is those with unconditional offers. The unconditional applicants should/will have been emailed their accommodation offer between late April and early May. The conditional applicants have from the 1st April until the 1st August to apply for their accommodation. I believe that for conditional applicants, it is irrelevant when/how quickly they submit their accommodation application.

First come first served then comes into play on results day. Those with conditional offers who have successfully reached their requirements are then in race against the other successful applicants to accept their conditional offer which will turn into a unconditional offer. Accommodation offers are then sent out on a first come first served basis. So therefore it is recommended that as soon as you know your grades/know you have got into university, you immediately confirm your place so your accommodation offer can be processed. If you leave it until later on in the day, you will be at the back of the queue.

I hope the above helps. :smile:

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/undergraduates/
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
AND BREATHE!

First come first served then comes into play on results day. Those with conditional offers who have successfully reached their requirements are then in race against the other successful applicants to accept their conditional offer which will turn into a unconditional offer. Accommodation offers are then sent out on a first come first served basis. So therefore it is recommended that as soon as you know your grades/know you have got into university, you immediately confirm your place so your accommodation offer can be processed. If you leave it until later on in the day, you will be at the back of the queue.

Does track get updated at midnight? If so might be worth logging on then to confirm a place to avoid getting a bunk room?
Original post by ysgwrn
Does track get updated at midnight? If so might be worth logging on then to confirm a place to avoid getting a bunk room?

Track doesn't get updated at midnight. It is updated in the morning and throughout the day, so please do not waste a night away chucking Red Bull (or similar energy drink) down your throat.

When will Track open again?
UCAS Track is usually available from around 8am on Results Day, it's often a little (i.e. an hour or so) earlier but it may be later. There is no point in staying up and checking Track from one minute past midnight, hoping that something will happen; it won't. Instead, you would do much better to try and get some sleep, as you may need to be particularly on the ball if your results aren't what you hope for/expect.

Once it is back up, if your status hasn't changed, it won't until midday at the earliest, so constantly refreshing the site is pointless and simply blocks things up for everyone else. If you haven't met your offer and Track hasn't updated then you will need to call the universities directly to see if they will still accept you. If you have made your offer but it still hasn't updated then relax and only call the university if it still hasn't updated on the Friday, to make sure that everything is ok.

If you have any further questions regarding results day please read the appropriate guides on TSR.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A_Level_Results_Day

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS_Track_on_results_day

Quick Reply

Latest