The Student Room Group

GCSE Dropping subjects Advice: Is 10A*s better than 10A* and 1B/c

If you are taking 11 GCSEs and get a B/C in a subject which is not considered core and A*s in all the rest, can you just not tell the uni/college you did the subject thus have 100% A*s for GCSE. Hopefully you understand what I meant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you're applying for OxBridge the uni's don't give a **** about your GCSEs

Your A level grades will eclipse any sort of meaning your GCSEs have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
The latter would be marginally better if you were applying for medicine at Oxford as they take the ratio of A*s into account. In reality though, no one would care about the difference between the two sets of grades as there are much more important things to be focused on.
Reply 3
Shouldn't matter if you get a B in a non relevant subject especially at GCSE.
Reply 4
It probably wouldn't make a lot of difference, however be aware that when applying to universities you are required to list all of your GCSE grades.
Reply 5
Many medical schools ask for a certain percentage of A*s.
Reply 6
I got an offer from Oxford with 7A*s 4As and a C. C in English Lit. Seems like it doesn't matter THAT much.

And you contractually have to notify them of every GCSE you have. Even the poor ones.
Reply 7
Original post by Camoxide
Unless you're applying for OxBridge the uni's don't give a **** about your GCSEs

Your A level grades will eclipse any sort of meaning your GCSEs have.

I got an offer from Oxford with only 2 A*s at GCSE. Cambridge are largely even less focused on GCSE results and use UMS points as more of a guide. In my knowledge and experience it is medical schools and LSE and not Oxbridge that are GCSE-focused.
Reply 8
Original post by Xarren
I got an offer from Oxford with 7A*s 4As and a C. C in English Lit. Seems like it doesn't matter THAT much.

And you contractually have to notify them of every GCSE you have. Even the poor ones.

I heard rumours that you don't have to do that but I believe you though :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by JamalAhmed
I heard rumours that you don't have to do that but I believe you though :biggrin:

I checked it myself. I really didn't want to put that C down.
Reply 10
Original post by Xarren

So it is better if I don't even do the GCSE at all and tell my teacher "sir, these lessons were a waste of time for me"
Reply 11
Original post by JamalAhmed
So it is better if I don't even do the GCSE at all and tell my teacher "sir, these lessons were a waste of time for me"

As long as its not too late to drop the subject.. Yeah.
Reply 12
Original post by Xarren
As long as its not too late to drop the subject.. Yeah.

Cool, might drop sports studies. I can't (be bothered to) learn 2 years worth of stuff in 3 months. I can but I don't want to just in case i flop
Reply 13
Original post by Xarren

lol
Original post by JaguarCello
ManyOne medical schools ask for a certain percentage of A*s.

only Oxford.

OP if you have 10 A* then one mediocre grade won't make the slightest bit if difference. Even wit oxford medicine, they put it in a algorithm with BMAT so it's not even that bad then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I'd drop it. In a way it's better because you've coped with more subjects, but it'll bring down your average point score so in thay respect it's better to go for consistency in your results.
Original post by AspiringGenius
only Oxford.

OP if you have 10 A* then one mediocre grade won't make the slightest bit if difference. Even wit oxford medicine, they put it in a algorithm with BMAT so it's not even that bad then.

Birmingham asks for 8 A* GCSEs. Minimum.
Original post by Calllu-m
Birmingham asks for 8 A* GCSEs. Minimum.

Don't post if you don't actually know. The most GCSEs Birmingham have ever asked for is 7A* minimum, however they have changed it for next years entry.

You now need A* in Maths, English and sciences. GCSE performance will be taken into consideration. So that is now 4/5A* based on whether one did separate sciences or just core and additional.
Original post by AspiringGenius
Don't post if you don't actually know. The most GCSEs Birmingham have ever asked for is 7A* minimum, however they have changed it for next years entry.

You now need A* in Maths, English and sciences. GCSE performance will be taken into consideration. So that is now 4/5A* based on whether one did separate sciences or just core and additional.

I was going by this years entry. My best friend is applying for medicine and can't because he has an A in English language and 7 A*s in total
Original post by Calllu-m
I was going by this years entry. My best friend is applying for medicine and can't because he has an A in English language and 7 A*s in total

Just be careful when giving advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest