The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninsei
Hello,
Asking again because nobody's answered my question. If I studied for 1 year in 2010/2011, then in 2011/2012 I suspended my studies and in 2012/2013 I'm starting new course at different university (first year entry as my new course is quite different from previous), will I be paying new, higher fees?

Yes.
Reply 621
Original post by Ninsei
Hello,
Asking again because nobody's answered my question. If I studied for 1 year in 2010/2011, then in 2011/2012 I suspended my studies and in 2012/2013 I'm starting new course at different university (first year entry as my new course is quite different from previous), will I be paying new, higher fees?

Unfortunately yes=/
Reply 622
Original post by Casshern1456
Yes.

Original post by alexkol
Unfortunately yes=/

Oh bo**ocks but I was kind of prepared for that... Thanks anyway.
Hi

I've applied via UCAS to transfer courses and the uni I'm applying to gave me a conditional offer (so I have to pass my 1st year at my current uni). The problem is I don't think I've passed one of my modules. Would that mean I've failed the year and can't do the transfer?! Or would I retake exams over summer?

Some help please

Thanks!
Reply 624
Original post by JamSandw1ch
Hi

I've applied via UCAS to transfer courses and the uni I'm applying to gave me a conditional offer (so I have to pass my 1st year at my current uni). The problem is I don't think I've passed one of my modules. Would that mean I've failed the year and can't do the transfer?! Or would I retake exams over summer?

Some help please

Thanks!

Well, you'd need to speak to your current uni to see if they'd let you resit - some won't in certain circumstances. And you'd need to speak to the uni you want to go to, to see if they'd accept you after resits. It also might depend on when you get results - technically, you need to meet your offer by August 31st, so if you get resit results later the uni don't have to take you although they may be willing to.
Reply 625
I am thinking that I might want to transfer from Sheffield Hallam's Law course to Hull's Law course for second year. They are pretty similar and I did achieve the a level grades that meet Hull's criteria but I was just wondering if I would have a chance of transferring? Is Hull a lot better than Sheffield Hallam for Law? Thank you for any replies and sorry if all my questions aren't directly relevant to this thread.
Original post by ssssam
I am thinking that I might want to transfer from Sheffield Hallam's Law course to Hull's Law course for second year. They are pretty similar and I did achieve the a level grades that meet Hull's criteria but I was just wondering if I would have a chance of transferring? Is Hull a lot better than Sheffield Hallam for Law? Thank you for any replies and sorry if all my questions aren't directly relevant to this thread.

I can tell you now it is nigh on impossible. I thought it would be do that, but from LJMU to Leeds met. They looked at my transcript and everything and said it was all okay, accepted onto UCAS and then a couple of weeks before, the person who should have seen it, said that the courses are not compatible. For example my old uni did obligations a(half of contract and tort) in 1st year and obligations b (the other half) in second year, whereas my new uni did contract and tort in first year. they did criminal in second year whereas I had already done it. Because they had already accepted me, they had to completely create a course for me, thats as close to qualifying as possible but its not. its still a degree, but I can't become a solicitor.

So check and check and check.
Reply 627
Hi Guys

I'll be going to huddersfield uni on a financial service course this september but my main aim is to resit my maths in january and get onto the same course at manchester met - hopefully Mid-term. I've yet to do my research on this and its a big risk. Has anyone done this? and how did student finance take to it?
Reply 628
Original post by insignificant
I can tell you now it is nigh on impossible. I thought it would be do that, but from LJMU to Leeds met. They looked at my transcript and everything and said it was all okay, accepted onto UCAS and then a couple of weeks before, the person who should have seen it, said that the courses are not compatible. For example my old uni did obligations a(half of contract and tort) in 1st year and obligations b (the other half) in second year, whereas my new uni did contract and tort in first year. they did criminal in second year whereas I had already done it. Because they had already accepted me, they had to completely create a course for me, thats as close to qualifying as possible but its not. its still a degree, but I can't become a solicitor.

So check and check and check.

I've looked and I think my course and Hull's are the same in first year apart from Tort is taken in first year at Hull and Second Year at Sheffield Hallam. Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to go into the Tort lectures/seminars whilst I'm there? What kind of reasons do unis accept for changing unis? Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 629
What happens after you get your results are meet your condition? Is it like A-level where the uni get the results and accept you etc... ?
Original post by Jonario
What happens after you get your results are meet your condition? Is it like A-level where the uni get the results and accept you etc... ?

No, you have to send a transcript of the results to the uni you want to transfer to.
Reply 631
Original post by bruce_t89
No, you have to send a transcript of the results to the uni you want to transfer to.

Do you also have to contact your previous University to tell them that you are going to transfer?
And do u know the procedure?
Original post by alexkol
Do you also have to contact your previous University to tell them that you are going to transfer?
And do u know the procedure?

I'm familiar with the procedure as I made a second year transfer a couple years ago.

Yes you need to inform them and they will then ask you to go through a procedure to confirm that you will be leaving. I'm assuming you've already filled out the UCAS application and met your conditions?
Reply 633
Original post by bruce_t89
I'm familiar with the procedure as I made a second year transfer a couple years ago.

Yes you need to inform them and they will then ask you to go through a procedure to confirm that you will be leaving. I'm assuming you've already filled out the UCAS application and met your conditions?

Yup :smile:
Reply 634
I have completed a foundation year at Uni 1 and now want to start the main course at Uni 2, do I have to pay the new tution fees or do i stick on the old £3k structure?
Reply 635
Original post by taliman
I have completed a foundation year at Uni 1 and now want to start the main course at Uni 2, do I have to pay the new tution fees or do i stick on the old £3k structure?

No, you have to pay the 9k fees=/
Reply 636
Hi

I wanted to know has anyone done the student finance application for second year entry.
I have done most of it. I called up the uni and they said they will be charging me the 3k meaning the old system. I typed up the amount for 2012/2013 application. However the grant amount that I am entitled to is £3250 that's what it appears as. What am I suppose to do.
Original post by aisha2568
Hi

I wanted to know has anyone done the student finance application for second year entry.
I have done most of it. I called up the uni and they said they will be charging me the 3k meaning the old system. I typed up the amount for 2012/2013 application. However the grant amount that I am entitled to is £3250 that's what it appears as. What am I suppose to do.

grant is always up to around that much.
Are you on about the tuition fee loan?
Reply 638
The grant I got was 2906 the new figure that is 3250 is for those paying the 9k
So..
I had a conditional offer for the international relations course at the University of Aberdeen. The offer was subject to me obtaining 85% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato"(it's an italian final exam) and 6.0 in IELTS (International English Testing System).
Due to some issues with my teachers (they really didn't want me to go), I obtained 82% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" and 7.0 in my IELTS.
As I have not achieved the required grades (85% in DES), the University of Aberdeen didn't confirm my place.

Now, I had as insurance Glasgow Caledonian University, where I will be studying International Business.
Would it be possible for me to change university in my second year?
I'm confident that my marks will be high because I've always dedicated myself on studying. In fact, my high school final exam result were affected by my teacher's favoritism (the commission that corrects your exams is composed by some of your teachers, and they are responsible for your final result).
I'm wondering if universities such as the University of Edinburgh or the University of Strathclyde will consider only my first year of university at Glasgow Caledonian, or they will also base their decision upon my high school marks.

I know it's long, but I really need an advice!

Quick Reply

Latest