The Student Room Group

Guys: sex cycles?

Ok so basically I've been living with my boyfriend for about a year and I found that he has a pattern similar to my menstrual cycles, except that they seem to revolve around sex. I'd like guys to read it and to think about if they have similar experiences because I'm wondering if men have similar hormonal cycles to women (but with different hormones/concentrations of course).

He seems to have periods where he's always really happy, cheerful, considerate, interested, does things for me and for other people etc. In those periods he's also always really horny and wants sex.

Unlike the menstrual cycle though, those cycles can be started and terminated with sex. As soon as he gets satisfied sexually, he goes into a mode of quietness. He's less interested in helping around in the house, he becomes more grumpy in the morning and more snappy, and he also becomes more of a workaholic. After a while he gradually enters the first stage of the cycle again (horny and happy lol).

Now I'd like to stress that these changes are very subtle and he's not bipolar or anything. I only noticed them after a very long time of living with him. I'm 100% sure it isn't conscious because he's generally a considerate guy even when he has the "grumpy" periods.

I was just really interested in hearing from guys. Do you find you have similar mood changes? I'm wondering if men have hormonal cycles similar to women, but without the periods.
Wow that's a really interesting theory! My boyfriend is on the other side of the country (seeing him today!) so I can't be sure of such an observation but did a guy who is usually shy, uninterested in sex and a workaholic there are random periods he'll shock me with horny talk. Better start looking out for consistencies lol.

Come on guys, tell us if you notice cycles/patterns and how they correspond with your girlfriend's. Do you end up happy and horny at the same time? My boyfriend seems to be in the dormant phase when I want to rip his pants off... Poor dear...
You should keep a lab diary where you write down your observations and plot interesting graphs.
Reply 3
I'm a guy and I think it's probably true, subconciously.

I.e. if he goes a while without sex his body probably tells him if he starts being nicer then he's more likely to get sex. I don't think I'm like this, though - but perhaps from an outside perspective, I am. When I was at uni I definitely got more work done when I was in a bad mood, so that probably explains the grumpy/workaholic thing.

Your personality probably reflects on it too, i.e. maybe youre slightly different with him at times, causing him to be grumpy/less helpful?
I don't know about cycles, but no one feels like having sex all the time
Reply 5
I know that sex increases testosterone but take a look at this.

...New research from the University of Bonn shows that the often misunderstood hormone may foster social behavior and honest interactions.

Researchers gave 46 people testosterone gel and 45 people a placebo. The next day, all 91 people were invited to roll the dice in private, report the numbers they landed on, and receive money based on their results—with the higher rollers netting more cash. After paying out the participants, the researchers found that men who received the testosterone gel self-reported their numbers more honestly.
Reply 6
Basically what happens is, his testicles begin filling up with sperm and a pressure builds. Testes secrete testosterone, that basically says to the brain "yoooo I need to release this excess".

So the brain says to the testes "don't worry, I got you homie" and begins secreting serotonin and other hormones that increase joyful moods and libido. As a result, man acts nicer to woman for sex.

Sex occurs, pressure is relieved. Hormone level decline instantly. Testes says "cheers brain". Brain says "no problem, I'm gonna get on with more important things, I've just realised how uninterested I am in listening to this girl talk".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Yawn11
Basically what happens is, his testicles begin filling up with sperm and a pressure builds. Testes secrete testosterone, that basically says to the brain "yoooo I need to release this excess".

So the brain says to the testes "don't worry, I got you homie" and begins secreting serotonin and other hormones that increase joyful moods and libido. As a result, man acts nicer to woman for sex.

Sex occurs, pressure is relieved. Hormone level decline instantly. Testes says "cheers brain". Brain says "no problem, I'm gonna get on with more important things, I've just realised how uninterested I am in listening to this girl talk".

Haha thanks for that. Especially the last part :colonhash:
Not sure about the sex part but I've had male friends tell me all about their man periods and how they get grouchy in a cycle like women. Though I don't think it's as noticeable, especially since girls blame everything on PMS. You're not gonna get a bloke saying "I'm pissed off because I'm on my man period". :biggrin:

Personally I think I've only ever experienced PMS once so I find it a little unfair that men think we turn into psychos once a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Beckyweck
Not sure about the sex part but I've had male friends tell me all about their man periods and how they get grouchy in a cycle like women. Though I don't think it's as noticeable, especially since girls blame everything on PMS. You're not gonna get a bloke saying "I'm pissed off because I'm on my man period". :biggrin:

Personally I think I've only ever experienced PMS once so I find it a little unfair that men think we turn into psychos once a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well some women do turn into psychos once a month. I've actually been completely fine hormonally until I was 21 and I thought PMS was an excuse by some women to act like bitches etc, then suddenly HORMONE CHANGE and now I cry my eyes out every month for a few days straight.
Original post by Anonymous
Well some women do turn into psychos once a month. I've actually been completely fine hormonally until I was 21 and I thought PMS was an excuse by some women to act like bitches etc, then suddenly HORMONE CHANGE and now I cry my eyes out every month for a few days straight.

Some women, not all of us. :P I too always thought PMS was just a crap excuse until the one time that I had irrational anger and hatred for everything for several days while I was on. Nowadays I just get a bit more prone to crying over stupid things so I don't underestimate hormonal fluctuations, just the generalisation that we're all crazy mo'fo's. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest