The Student Room Group

I think I did terrible on my chemistry GCSE - can I resit in the summer holidays?!

I spent the last week revising so hard for my chemistry exam, which was today. I thought I knew everything - but when I looked at the exam questions my mind went blank and I could hardly remember anything. I struggled on most of the questions. However, I need to get a B grade in this exam, and im almost certain I haven't got it. Im really upset, my parents will be really angry and disappointed if I dont get the grade I need. Is there any possibility I can resit the exam over the summer holidays? We dont get the results until August though :frown: Or do I have to resit once ive started college? Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah799
I spent the last week revising so hard for my chemistry exam, which was today. I thought I knew everything - but when I looked at the exam questions my mind went blank and I could hardly remember anything. I struggled on most of the questions. However, I need to get a B grade in this exam, and im almost certain I haven't got it. Im really upset, my parents will be really angry and disappointed if I dont get the grade I need. Is there any possibility I can resit the exam over the summer holidays? We dont get the results until August though :frown: Or do I have to resit once ive started college? Thank you!

I'm sorry to tell you this but its impossible for you to resit the exam as the next exam will be available in January/november depending on your exam board. So it looks like you would have to resit it at college but I doubt colleges will allow you to resit anything except if it is english language or maths and the fact that you still passed will also make it unlikely. Did you leave any questions blank cos if not you never know you may of got the ones you guessed right. Also apparently the government have introduced policies banning January exams but I think that it doesn't apply to GCSE'S yet anyways may I know what exam board you are doing?
(edited 10 years ago)
If I remember rightly, GCSE Science exams have a window in November for exams/resits to be done? I think that's your earliest opportunity, I seem to remember sharing an exam hall with college students during one of my retakes. If not, I would guess January. It certainly won't be possible during the summer holidays, sadly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Maybe you should have left more than a week to revise :rolleyes:
Reply 4
My exam board is WJEC. So can you not resit a science GCSE in college? :frown:
Thank you for the replys!
My exam board is WJEC. So can you not resit a science GCSE in college? :frown:
Thank you for the replys!

Not at the same time as you're doing your A Levels, though you can find private centers to do it in but you have to pay. Also you said that you spend the last week revising hard. I actually started revising since december for my exam today so you cant really say that you've been working hard
i'm the same... i'm on WJEC and i think i did badly... I was hoping that there would be a chance to retake in college as i NEED an A overall.. obviously, i don't know what i've got but i don't feel happy AT ALL at the moment as if i don't get an A I will have to change my career plans as it's all resting on the exam.
Reply 7

The rules have changed this year so the next chance to re-sit would be next summer. If you are in Wales then it might be possible to re-sit just this unit, if you're in England then you would have to re-sit the whole GCSE.
Reply 8
I sat the exact same exam as you, this was my resit because I wanted to lift my B (which all my friends have a go at me EVERY DAY about but I dropped two grades and felt I could improve :smile:).
Admittedly C2 is a lot harder than C1 and I felt this exam went a lot better than my January exam. Saying that, nearly everybody disagrees with me. Some people were near tears leaving that exam so it looks likely that the grade boundaries will be low.
I honestly thought that in January I had 100% failed my physics exam but when I actually got my results back I saw I had a B. (A very low one as I just scraped it with 29/60 which isn't great is it haha) I was so happy as during the exam and all the way till I got my results I thought I got a D at best. Honestly, no matter how bad you think you did you've probably done better. And if you found it hard, chances are other people will feel the same. The grade boundaries won't be very high as most of the pupils sitting the exam in the same hall as me were panicking.
You can't resit in Summer unfortunately, but don't worry about that just yet. Lets see if you pass first! Good luck x
Reply 9
I really hope the grade boundaries will be low! thank you for reassuring me, maybe my final grade will be ok-ish after all :smile:
I really hope the grade boundaries will be low! thank you for reassuring me, maybe my final grade will be ok-ish after all :smile:

Just resit it as a private candidate....i wouldn't worry about it, theres November/January/June and the boards don't really matter get a syllabus and textbook you can learn it.
Original post by eggfriedrice
Maybe you should have left more than a week to revise :rolleyes:

The OP is clearly beating themselves up over the fact they've messed up. Why would you leave such a horrible condescending comment?

The OP didn't ask for your sympathy or understanding. All they simply asked was about resits.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Put yourself in a position where you messed up. It happens, we're all human. How would you like someone to leave a comment like that?
Learn to be empathetic!
Original post by MasterSnake
The OP is clearly beating themselves up over the fact they've messed up. Why would you leave such a horrible condescending comment?

The OP didn't ask for your sympathy or understanding. All they simply asked was about resits.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Put yourself in a position where you messed up. It happens, we're all human. How would you like someone to leave a comment like that?
Learn to be empathetic!

I apologise if my comment came off as condescending, however it's nothing but the truth. Why do people expect to get good grades without putting in the effort? A week of working hard? Why not try a month, or better yet a whole year. Yes it might work for some at GCSE, but not A level or education beyond GCSE which is what the OP will be doing.

Put myself in a position where I've messed up? Hmm, well if it's something clearly my fault, i.e not working to the best of my abilities, then I would want people to give me a wake up call, not a "nvm, you'll do better next time round." Hopefully the OP learns from their mistake.
I apologise if my comment came off as condescending, however it's nothing but the truth. Why do people expect to get good grades without putting in the effort? A week of working hard? Why not try a month, or better yet a whole year. Yes it might work for some at GCSE, but not A level or education beyond GCSE which is what the OP will be doing.

Put myself in a position where I've messed up? Hmm, well if it's something clearly my fault, i.e not working to the best of my abilities, then I would want people to give me a wake up call, not a "nvm, you'll do better next time round." Hopefully the OP learns from their mistake.

I don't see what your problem is? Do you have some sort of superiority complex because you work hard for your exams?

First off- A-levels really aren't that hard. For mine I only put a week prior in for each exam and came out with AAB. Hardly the worst grades in the world. And yes they were in real subjects: Maths, History, and Economics. Different people learn in different ways. I have a good short term memory so I use it. Clearly this didn't work for the OP, and he's paying the price now.

Second, OP already know's he's messed up. He doesn't need YOU to give him a wake up call! The fact he's worried and thinking of resitting is his wake up call. You sitting there making comments in hindsight like that is frankly just rude.

He didn't ask for your opinion on revision techniques or reasons to why he may have failed. He asked for advice on resits. For all you know, the OP may have actually done just fine, we often come out of exams doing better than we thought we did. OP could possibly be just a panicky person. Fact is, you don't know this person, you're in no position to be giving them 'wake up calls'. Either answer the question or stay out of it. He didn't ask for your opinion he asked for a solution.
Reply 14
Original post by SloaneRanger
Just resit it as a private candidate....i wouldn't worry about it, theres November/January/June and the boards don't really matter get a syllabus and textbook you can learn it.

Its not that simple. November and January exams have been abolished and taking the controlled assessment as a private candidate can be very difficult to arrange.
I don't see what your problem is? Do you have some sort of superiority complex because you work hard for your exams?

First off- A-levels really aren't that hard. For mine I only put a week prior in for each exam and came out with AAB. Hardly the worst grades in the world. And yes they were in real subjects: Maths, History, and Economics. Different people learn in different ways. I have a good short term memory so I use it. Clearly this didn't work for the OP, and he's paying the price now.

Second, OP already know's he's messed up. He doesn't need YOU to give him a wake up call! The fact he's worried and thinking of resitting is his wake up call. You sitting there making comments in hindsight like that is frankly just rude.

He didn't ask for your opinion on revision techniques or reasons to why he may have failed. He asked for advice on resits. For all you know, the OP may have actually done just fine, we often come out of exams doing better than we thought we did. OP could possibly be just a panicky person. Fact is, you don't know this person, you're in no position to be giving them 'wake up calls'. Either answer the question or stay out of it. He didn't ask for your opinion he asked for a solution.

My problem is people expecting to do well without putting in the effort, but to be honest it works out for me by lowering the competition :> superiority complex because I work hard? XD wow. That's a first.

I'll admit AAB isn't bad, but come on, it's hardly anything to brag about. Personally I would be slightly embarrassed flaunting those grades and then say "oh yeah, I didn't try, only tried for like a week". I also never expected someone who got AAB to say A levels aren't that hard, slightly contradictory :tongue: and "real" subjects.. well that's very subjective.
So erm, from your amazing work ethics, is that why you only got a 2.2? c: hmm, so you slacked at A levels, DIDN'T learn from your mistakes and carried it on the university. And here you're telling me that a wake up call is rude. Maybe you're just bitter I hadn't told you the same piece of advice during your A level years? :>

Oh, and "answer the question or stay out", is that what you're doing? :rolleyes:
Original post by Data
Its not that simple. November and January exams have been abolished and taking the controlled assessment as a private candidate can be very difficult to arrange.

IGCSE......november is still there.... so many public schools sit it.

http://www.cie.org.uk/docs/profiles/exams_officers/Cambridge%20Zone%201%20FINAL%20November%202013%20Timetable.pdf

There so easy to book, its ridiculous, I fancy a shot at getting psychology IGCSE next month, you can even book it on the same they fax over the paper....im a really last minute kinda person, that pays the late fees etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
My problem is people expecting to do well without putting in the effort, but to be honest it works out for me by lowering the competition :> superiority complex because I work hard? XD wow. That's a first.

I'll admit AAB isn't bad, but come on, it's hardly anything to brag about. Personally I would be slightly embarrassed flaunting those grades and then say "oh yeah, I didn't try, only tried for like a week". I also never expected someone who got AAB to say A levels aren't that hard, slightly contradictory :tongue: and "real" subjects.. well that's very subjective.
So erm, from your amazing work ethics, is that why you only got a 2.2? c: hmm, so you slacked at A levels, DIDN'T learn from your mistakes and carried it on the university. And here you're telling me that a wake up call is rude. Maybe you're just bitter I hadn't told you the same piece of advice during your A level years? :>

Oh, and "answer the question or stay out", is that what you're doing? :rolleyes:

I'm not flaunting my AAB, they're a decent set of grades not fantastic. I'm not bitter about anything, I'm not the one resorting to personal attacks.

By the way before you start stalking my threads and using them as arguments, I suggest you read them. I was on the verge of getting a 2.2. I've actually just about scraped my 2.1 now (presuming I get the marks I'm expecting in these exams), and regardless of that I've and landed myself a job. I've done just fine. I'd love to hear your academic record. I highly doubt you're getting paid the salary I've secured myself for next year.

Real subjects aren't really subjective. Employers and universities do classify subjects as 'soft subjects' and 'hard subject'. Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder about that. Let me guess, you did those soft subjects like Sociology, Media studies and Philosophy at A-level?

You're clearly a sickly competitive person. Shut up with your 'wake up call', I've already explained to you that isn't your position or your responsibility nor right. Who do you think you are? Some sort of tough internet parent that's going to change the OP's entire perspective on life? Please...get over yourself.
I'm not flaunting my AAB, they're a decent set of grades not fantastic. I'm not bitter about anything, I'm not the one resorting to personal attacks.

By the way before you start stalking my threads and using them as arguments, I suggest you read them. I was on the verge of getting a 2.2. I've actually just about scraped my 2.1 now (presuming I get the marks I'm expecting in these exams), and regardless of that I've and landed myself a job. I've done just fine. I'd love to hear your academic record. I highly doubt you're getting paid the salary I've secured myself for next year.

Real subjects aren't really subjective. Employers and universities do classify subjects as 'soft subjects' and 'hard subject'. Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder about that. Let me guess, you did those soft subjects like Sociology, Media studies and Philosophy at A-level?

You're clearly a sickly competitive person. Shut up with your 'wake up call', I've already explained to you that isn't your position or your responsibility nor right. Who do you think you are? Some sort of tough internet parent that's going to change the OP's entire perspective on life? Please...get over yourself.

I hardly call them personal attacks, I'm simply stating that your attitude doesn't add up to the facts. Why would someone who gets very average grades be saying "I don't need to try." because you clearly do.

All I did was click on a thread and you had said something along the lines of getting a 2.2 but still managed to find a job. Sorry that I did not further look at your entire history to search for more evidence. Ohlalala a high paying secure job that will accept a 2.2, please enlighten me about what it is and what's the pay?

Now really, why would a "sickly competitive" person like me choose soft subjects? Then again regardless, I chose subjects which I enjoyed the most and frankly aren't too bad at.
Oh and if we're doing this "university and employers" list of hard and soft subjects, then I hope you realise economics and history are only second grade, awkz.

Well actually, if the OP realises their mistakes then yes, it could drastically change their life. Their B at GCSE turns in an A, their A at A level turns in an A*, their 2.1 turns into a first, and then he works that little bit extra in the office than everyone else. Guess whose getting promoted?

I'm not saying hard work will guarantee success, but heck you'll already have an advantage over those who are half arsed.
(edited 10 years ago)
I hardly call them personal attacks, I'm simply stating that your attitude doesn't add up to the facts. Why would someone who gets very average grades be saying "I don't need to try." because you clearly do.

All I did was click on a thread and you had said something along the lines of getting a 2.2 but still managed to find a job. Sorry that I did not further look at your entire history to search for more evidence. Ohlalala a high paying secure job that will accept a 2.2, please enlighten me about what it is and what's the pay?

Now really, why would a "sickly competitive" person like me choose soft subjects? Then again regardless, I chose subjects which I enjoyed the most and frankly aren't too bad at.
Oh and if we're doing this "university and employers" list of hard and soft subjects, then I hope you realise economics and history are only second grade, awkz.

Well actually, if the OP realises their mistakes then yes, it could drastically change their life. Their B at GCSE turns in an A, their A at A level turns in an A*, their 2.1 turns into a first, and then he works that little bit extra in the office than everyone else. Guess whose getting promoted?

I'm not saying hard work will guarantee success, but heck you'll already have an advantage over those who are half arsed.

I'm working as a software developer earning 29k a year if you must know. If you're going to try and personally attack me, I suggest you research thoroughly first so you don't look the moron you currently are.

And since when is economics considered a second grade subject? I can understand history- personally I hated it. But Economics, really? Regardless they still trump your soft subjects no?

Nice to see you do have a chip on your shoulder about your soft subjects.

And you still haven't gotten over yourself have you? You still think you're this amazing person who's going to change this persons life with your condensing advice. Please get over yourself. Your advice was clearly not meant to be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest