The Student Room Group

HNC Graded Unit question

I am in first year of my HND Technical Support course, I have managed to fail the Graded Unit and the resit :colondollar: Do I get another resit? Do I pay for it? I don't mind paying for it? Can I do it out of my college or how does it happen?

I need 12 credits for HNC and 15 credits to proceed onto second year HND.

At the moment I have 14 credits I have one more class to finish then I'll have 15.

But since I have failed the mandatory Graded Unit exam I have only 5/6 mandatory credits therefore I cannot obtain a HNC nor proceed onto HND.

Do I pay or even get another resit? I've emailed my tutors but no reply as of yet :colondollar:
Cheers for any replies?
Well, it really comes down to the specific college but generally aye you'd need to resit it over the year (but you'd only need to do that unit - no others). I think the SQA have set entry fees and the college might request tuition fees for that unit too. But, since you'll be classed as part time you could get ILA I think.

Short answer: yeah. When I finished my HNC, a few folk in my class failed a few of their core units but managed to resit them alongside their HND while others just resat them part time. :dontknow: Might be worth looking into. :smile:
Reply 2
Are HNC's better than Higher/A highers?

Thinking of going to college and doing HNC Accounting or Business instead of 6th year, then going to Uni.

Thanks
Reply 3
HNC is equivalent to Advanced Higher.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by Sami'

Thinking of going to college and doing HNC Accounting or Business instead of 6th year, then going to Uni.

Thanks

HNCs are at level 7 - same level of difficulty as AH but contain more content (120 credits compared to 36 for 1 AH) and HNDs are at level 8.

I did my HNC before going to Uni to do my degree (left at the end of S4) - didn't do me any harm and got a lot of 2nd year entry offers (Aberdeen, St Andrews to name 2)
Original post by Sami'

Thanks

HNCs are at sqa level 7 which is the same as advanced higher, but they credited like 1 year of university. As stated you need 120 credits for an HNC which will come from roughly 12 modules. They are generally considered the equivelant to first year of a degree depending on the course you choose. You could do an HNC instead of andvanced highers, but you're probably better off doing advanced highers first and seeing if you can get into uni from there. The reason being that you need to apply for saas to do an HNC (unless you can afford to pay for it), which is deducted from the 5 years of funding you get from saas. Where as you do AH in school so you don't need saas funding. It just means you are giving yourself two chances instead of one because you could always do an hnc if your AHs go tits up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello. Could you possibly tell me how the exam was. Interim of what content was in it
I am studying Business. I am concerned about the exam and I really want to pass! Any type of help will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I am studying HND Business 1st year. (HNC)
Hello, is it possible to take a single unit of HNC Business and get an assessment of it within the next two months? Like Marketing Principles?
What was the outcome of the situation
Not passing graded unit
Original post by dave phd
I am in first year of my HND Technical Support course, I have managed to fail the Graded Unit and the resit :colondollar: Do I get another resit? Do I pay for it? I don't mind paying for it? Can I do it out of my college or how does it happen?

I need 12 credits for HNC and 15 credits to proceed onto second year HND.

At the moment I have 14 credits I have one more class to finish then I'll have 15.

But since I have failed the mandatory Graded Unit exam I have only 5/6 mandatory credits therefore I cannot obtain a HNC nor proceed onto HND.

Do I pay or even get another resit? I've emailed my tutors but no reply as of yet :colondollar:
Cheers for any replies?

What was the outcome of not passing the graded unit mate
Original post by Yoyofootball
What was the outcome of not passing the graded unit mate

He posted this thread 2 years ago and hasn't been online since so doubt you'll get an answer, sorry! I would direct any questions you have about this to your course tutor :h:

I'm going to close this thread since it's so old, but feel free to start up a new thread if you have any questions :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending