The Student Room Group

Social science, arts, humanities, sciences. Which subjects come under these headings?

Arts, social sciences, science, humanities?

Which subjects would you put under these headings? Some subjects I don't know which to put under like Geography. Is that a science? What are the differences between arts and humanties?
Do different universities tell you what kind of subject it is in the title (Bsc)?
Why do some unis describe one subject as a science and other unis describe it as an art? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.
Reply 2
Iscariot
I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.

Is the title better now? :biggrin:

So what is the title given to Social sciences and humanities? Can it either be BA or BSc?

Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:
Reply 3
The boundaries are blurred. Geography, for example, fits under all of your headings.

And you're wasting you're time on the whole BA/BSc thing to be honest as they're both equivilant and can be awarded for pretty much any subject. As a general rule BA is awarded for arts and social sciences, while BSc is for sciences, but there are plenty of exceptions.
Law would fit into social sciences or humanities I guess.
Reply 5
tiasax

Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:

At some institutions you can get onto a medical program with any degree, but most require a bioscience. It's a very long topic. If you don't have a bioscience undergraduate degree you may be required to have related A-levels with good results and/or sit a rather daunting entrance exam.
I'd personally say:

Arts
English
Languages
Art
Music
Drama
Media/film
Journalism

Humanities
Geography
History
RE

Social sciences
Psychology
Sociology
Politics
Economics
Law

Sciences
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

There are a few I'm not sure of though, like whether philosophy and business are arts or social sciences, and there is a lot of crossover. Generally the first three categories are BA and the latter BSc, but with some subjects you can get either depending on what modules you take. For example, I think physical geography is a BSc and human geography is a BA.
Reply 7
oooh thanks!
Reply 8
I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.
Psyk
I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.

Yeah, I didn't want to include anything like engineering or medicine etc because someone in another thread was discussing how they aren't pure science and since I know nothing about science, I didn't want to get into all that :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending