The Student Room Group

Free Career Personal Profile... and more Jobsite things...

We've just signed a partnership deal with www.jobsite.co.uk, so we're going to do a few things together for everyone's benefit...For starters they're going to provide us with a Careers Advisor who will be able to give professional advice to you all in this forum....we're going to give you direct access to their jobs etc.. so wait for more news...

For now though why not take their career personal profile. It will help you to better understand yourself and assist in finding the work environment that suits you best.

It's free and will take just 8 minutes of your time.

It''ll also be able to provide you with the essential interview questions you MUST ask at your next interview to discover if the company and role are right for you.

You get:

Report 1: Your current work - life values
Report 2: How you will see other types of people
Report 3: How other types of people will see you
Report 4: Interview questions for finding the right employer

Once you've done it, please post your feedback in here to let Jobsite know what you thought. I hope it's useful.

You can register here - http://www.jobsite.co.uk/prereg/

And in case it's not obvious once you're in there - once registered - you can take the test here: http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/myjobsite_questionnaire.cgi

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:biggrin:

Great stuff.

Did the quiz while at work....

Contender

As a Contender, you're likely to believe at times it is necessary for work to come before the family, with the knowledge that the family will benefit in the long run from your success.

You believe that in a world of opportunities, the strongest thrive. Fortunately, you're a person that makes things happen. You're able to set goals and focus on achieving them, not afraid to make difficult decisions or take risks. The last thing you want is a dead end job, you want to move on up and be rewarded for your efforts and ability.
Balancer

As a Balancer, you want to carefully and passionately manage your time to get the most out of your life. You want to choose a job that interests you but still allows you to balance your career with your other priorities. You appreciate this flexibility in all areas of your life, interactions and work. The best type of organisation for you is one where people are treated as the most valuable asset. You enjoy the informality, friendliness and democracy. Most of all, work is a means to an exciting end for you.

Spot on really - basically I don't give a toss about work and want to spend as much of my free time dossing as much as possible :biggrin:

A better description would have been Skiver.
Reply 3
Fantastic. My name is Joe and I am the HR Manager at Jobsite. I will be checking in 3 or 4 times a week and will hopefully be able to help with tips and recruitment related advice.

I have spent the last 7 and a half years recruiting for an online recruitment company so I am hoping that qualifies me at least a little. I am also well-versed in dealing in work related problems and I probably view over 100 CVs a week, which means I get a good handle on what makes a good CV and what ahem, doesn't.

Oh, and I am a contender. I believe that sometimes you have to make personal sacrifices in order to attain what you wish for, within your career. So that too, is pretty much spot on.
Reply 4
Hi Joe, welcome to TSR. I was wondering when you'd make an appearance as I've heard a bit about you. :smile:
Believer
As a Believer you believe the world has almost infinite possibilities. You believe people should be pursuing their passions and not be caught up by what others say they should desire. Your entire life involves continuously having new experiences and learning from them. It is the challenge, the risk, the prospect of what you can achieve that drives you, rather than simply making money. You're a self-motivated individual driven by your passion and so need a job and environment with loose boundaries and maximum freedom.
Reply 6
I too am a contender.
Reply 7
Contender

As a Contender, you're likely to believe at times it is necessary for work to come before the family, with the knowledge that the family will benefit in the long run from your success.

You believe that in a world of opportunities, the strongest thrive. Fortunately, you're a person that makes things happen. You're able to set goals and focus on achieving them, not afraid to make difficult decisions or take risks. The last thing you want is a dead end job, you want to move on up and be rewarded for your efforts and ability.
Im a contender. :smile:
Reply 9
So how does that match up against other people?

Contender - How you will see other types of people

SURVIVORS

These people have some raw energy and drive. However, they also seem to have a lack of structure. They're disorganised and seem incapable of taking a long-term view. Their problem is they're impulsive; they're unable to delay gratification.

SUPPORTERS

These people appear to lack energy. They're obsessed by petty rules and bureaucracy and are unwilling to take any risks. Likewise, they lack creativity. Rarely, if ever, will they come up with ideas. Instead they appear content to be 'plodders'.

BALANCERS

These people seem to take their eye off the ball. In your opinion, they get too bogged down with reflecting on their feelings rather than getting on with a task. They prefer a decision shared by all rather than one that gets the job done. They also seem to get distracted by the 'work-life' balance and other environmental issues.

BELIEVERS

You can relate to the individualism, their creativity and their drive. However, you're baffled how they can work with passion yet not care about financial results, enhanced status or power. You admire their lack of fear yet think they over-complicate issues. And this whole 'lack of ambition' thing makes no sense to you.

Contender - How other people see you

SURVIVORS

At times they will relate to the way you try to get what you want. They also share your single-mindedness and energy. However, they think you talk in jargon too much and have a fondness for office politics. That said, they envy you your power and status.

SUPPORTERS

To these people you appear pushy. They feel like you're always challenging the single way they do things and are forever coming up with lots of new ways to do stuff. In their eyes you're disrupting their correct way of working. To them you often seem greedy, scheming and arrogant.

BALANCERS

These people see you as a bit too pushy and uncooperative for their liking. They believe you're resistant to group or team orientated activities, as they see you as being selfish, wanting to do your own thing. At times your individualism breaks their group harmony and they find your lack of cooperation irritating.

BELIEVERS

These people see something of themselves in you, especially in regards to your drive. However for them you seem too obsessed with wealth and the external trappings of success. They feel your preferences are narrow and unsophisticated and you're limited in your ability to make connections.
Reply 10
I could have been a contender.
Reply 11
I've used these profiles when interviewing. It can be quite an interesting way of comparing the person who has presented themselves to you with the profiles as it stands. It is also interesting for the person themselves to describe the ways in which they differ to the profile description.

You can also move between types according to external forces and the environment in which you currently move. I am a contender with strong leanings towards a balancer. I would ideally be a balancer, but I work too many hours!
It says I'm a believer.

It's been interesting reading the reports too...certainly made me think about one or two points.
contender:smile:
Reply 14
It says I am a Believer.
Reply 15
supporter
Reply 16
it took me more than 8 min :rolleyes: had a problem with each score can only be chosen once especially with the ones about how i am. had no problem with the ones about how i want my job to be though. anyway according to the test i'm a contender
believer. didn't actually give me any career advice, guess that wasn't the point of it but it was what I wanted to hear.
Reply 18
If you read it though it does tell you how you interact with different personality types. Although that is not directly career advice, it might make interviews easier if you know where the person the other side of the table is coming from. OR appraisals. Or any number of work or personal situations...
Balancer

As a Balancer, you want to carefully and passionately manage your time to get the most out of your life. You want to choose a job that interests you but still allows you to balance your career with your other priorities. You appreciate this flexibility in all areas of your life, interactions and work. The best type of organisation for you is one where people are treated as the most valuable asset. You enjoy the informality, friendliness and democracy. Most of all, work is a means to an exciting end for you.