The Student Room Group

Why are there so many Black and Asian presenters on Children's TV?

A remember from watching Children's TV back when I was 9-10, half the presenters were "coloured", recently, I flicked onto it again, not having anything to watch and I couldn't help but notice that there was a very high amount of Black and Asian presenters. It's hardly a very accurate representation of the Demographics of the UK.

Is the reason merely more non-whites than whites have applied and simply they were chosen for the job are is it to subconsciously promote multiculturalism to little kids?

Also, take a programme like Balamory for example, how many tiny, romote little Scottish fishing villages are highly multicultural, with a Black policeman, and Asian postman, etc. In those sorts of areas the closest you get to multiculturalism and diversity is the old fisherman who lost the top of his finger.

Discuss, or accuse me of being racist with no grounds for doing so what so ever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Token ethnics :rolleyes:

I don't see why it really matters to be honest.
Reply 2
To stop the copious amount of complaints for ethnic minorities not getting enough airtime :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Isn't PC Plum white?
I dunno, I hadn't noticed. But if it is the case then I think they're just trying to teach the kids multiculturalism.
Why does it matter?
I think one of the reasons they also do it is to make children aware of different races, they might live in an area where they wont really see a black or asian person.
Reply 6
i don't think it matters at all. kids wont even notice, i certainly never did.
ElvisAint-Dead
Why does it matter?

It matters when you're trying to get a job in a certain area and you apply even though you know you're probably not gonna get it coz it specifically states that you have to detail your experience of a multi cultural society or how you have promoted ethnic minorities in society.

The BBC are currently running their latest journalism training scheme (the first of these ran last year) - this is part of what their 'what we are looking for' section says -

'We are looking for people who can help us to serve the wide and diverse range of audiences who expect the very best from the BBC - whether on Radio, TV or Online.

We want to hear from people with a good understanding - or direct experience - of the issues facing the diverse communities which make up the UK. Perhaps you have grown up within a black or Asian community; perhaps you come from a socially disadvantaged background or perhaps you have worked closely with people in such communities.'

In addition - you are not allowed to apply if you have a recognised journalism qualification - so, being white and having a first class journalism degree, I'm out!

I'm sure many may think the above is being racist, but you have to understand the frustration of the situations that many people in my position are facing!
Reply 8
Interestingly I've noticed on London buses all positive adverts have pretty much entirely ethnic minorities on.

The only one I've seen with all white people is one about crime (white people in mug shots)

Offensive to be honest.
josie_bear2003
It matters when you're trying to get a job in a certain area and you apply even though you know you're probably not gonna get it coz it specifically states that you have to detail your experience of a multi cultural society or how you have promoted ethnic minorities in society.

The BBC are currently running their latest journalism training scheme (the first of these ran last year) - this is part of what their 'what we are looking for' section says -

'We are looking for people who can help us to serve the wide and diverse range of audiences who expect the very best from the BBC - whether on Radio, TV or Online.

We want to hear from people with a good understanding - or direct experience - of the issues facing the diverse communities which make up the UK. Perhaps you have grown up within a black or Asian community; perhaps you come from a socially disadvantaged background or perhaps you have worked closely with people in such communities.'

In addition - you are not allowed to apply if you have a recognised journalism qualification - so, being white and having a first class journalism degree, I'm out!

I'm sure many may think the above is being racist, but you have to understand the frustration of the situations that many people in my position are facing!

That sounds a bit unfair, but it is important that our presenters, especially childrens' presenters, represent our national ethnic diversity. Why don't they like your Journalism degree? Do they prefer applicants from more academic and less vocational courses?
asian presenters? serious?
Reply 11
burninginme
A remember from watching Children's TV back when I was 9-10, half the presenters were "coloured", recently, I flicked onto it again, not having anything to watch and I couldn't help but notice that there was a very high amount of Black and Asian presenters. It's hardly a very accurate representation of the Demographics of the UK.

Is the reason merely more non-whites than whites have applied and simply they were chosen for the job are is it to subconsciously promote multiculturalism to little kids?

Also, take a programme like Balamory for example, how many tiny, romote little Scottish fishing villages are highly multicultural, with a Black policeman, and Asian postman, etc. In those sorts of areas the closest you get to multiculturalism and diversity is the old fisherman who lost the top of his finger.

Discuss, or accuse me of being racist with no grounds for doing so what so ever.

Do not use coloured. You are implying that white is pure and darker skinned people are lesser.
Reply 12
Girl, X
Isn't PC Plum white?

he is, I've met him! :yeah:
Coz itz funkee nd cool 4 da kids like, and because those sorts of presenters usually favour style over substance.
The only black person I remember from kid's TV was Dave Benson Phillips.
Reply 15
mattmac89
he is, I've met him! :yeah:

:eek:

I'm jealous! He's such a cool, camp copper.
o.0 The ones I see on CBBC are all white :p:
Reply 17
Indoctrination
fxytimi
Do not use coloured. You are implying that white is pure and darker skinned people are lesser.

Really? Cos i'm pretty sure i've heard black people refer to themselves as coloured. You can't really win anyway when discribing skin colour. You're racist either way.
Demoskratos7
Why don't they like your Journalism degree? Do they prefer applicants from more academic and less vocational courses?

Here's what they say on the applications site...

"I don't have any lengthy journalism experience or training. Should I still apply?

Yes! One of our aims is to find talented and creative people who might have been put off the idea of a career as a broadcast journalist because of the training costs involved. By the way, we are very keen to hear from people who have perhaps had a long-time ambition to work in broadcast news but who - for whatever reason - have been pursuing a different career.

I'm already training to be a journalist. Can I apply?

If by that you mean that you are currently studying broadcast journalism at under-graduate or post graduate level then we are sorry but this scheme is not aimed at you. But keep reading the BBC Jobs Website as there may be more appropriate opportunities in the future. "

I really can't answer that question myself Demoskratos7 - if I could I wouldn't be so frustrated! I don't think it has anything to do with the academia value. Somebody with a Broadcast Journalism degree is far more prepared to enter into that field than somebody with an English degree. My course was 50% academic/theory (yes, we still had to do many essays like the rest of you) and 50% practical.

fxytimi

Technically we (being every human on Earth) are all coloured. My skin is not white, it is more of a peach. My dad tans easily and could be described as brown. A so called 'black' person is not actually black as the colour is defined. It goes on!

Latest

Trending

Trending