The Student Room Group

History or Geography GCSE?

I'm going into year 10 in September and starting my GCSEs properly (we took 2 science GCSE exams, a maths GCSE exam and a small piece of english GCSE coursework early due to the cancellation of SATs), and we have two weeks at the beginning of year 10 in which we can change any subjects we have chosen if we are not enjoying them or change our minds.

I want to drop music technology for either Geography or History. My options so far are:

Business Studies (My school don't do economics)
Triple Science
German
Music (I want to change for either Geography or History).

I want my subjects to be as strong as possible, and now that I have found out Music has been changed to the Music Technology course, I am extremely motivated to switch Music to History/Geography. I'm sure people would understand why I took Business, because Economics isn't offered at GCSE at my school (it is at A level though!) and this is the closest thing to it.

Anyway, so because of this I want to change to either Geography or History. I enjoy both very much, maybe Geography slightly more although I would still be able to get through both of the courses easily.

My problem is that people say if your better at Science, then you would be better at Geography, and if your better at English, you would be better at History.

My predicted grade for Science is A-A* and in my english coursework I only got a B+.

But my History teacher said I would probably be predicted an A in History if I took it, since he gave me a 7c/7b level in my report. And over the 3 years (and about 9 assessments) in Geography, my highest grade was only ever a 6c, but I rarely enjoyed the assessment tasks.

Is the GCSE Geography much different to KS3 Geography? Because I really only want to get As and A* for my GCSEs (I am going to push myself in English) but I would most likely get a B (and possibly even a C!) if GCSE Geography was anything like KS3 Geography.

However, I would be more likely to get a Higher grade in History, according to my teacher, but I have more interest in Geography. I know this is a personal choice but can someone help me out with what the courses are like? And which one would suit me?

Sorry for this being so long.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

History. From what GCSE Geography students said while they were doing it, it's a bit of a ball ache.
How are your colouring skills?
Reply 3
You really shouldn't be giving GCSEs this much thought.
Reply 4
dorian gray
How's your colouring skills?

:lolwut:

No thanks, I'm not taking art.
Reply 5
History all the way.
Reply 6
klenodie
You really shouldn't be giving GCSEs this much thought.

I don't want to waste 2 years on something I'm going to hate...
Reply 7
joshphillips999
I don't want to waste 2 years on something I'm going to hate...

Then pick something you like and get on with it.
Reply 8
klenodie

I do like them both, and theres nothing else I like which I haven't already chosen/isn't a weak subject.
Reply 9
I did both history and geography. Personally, I found geography sooo easy I didn't even need to revise for it. I did the OCR avery hill specification and that was my favourite exam!!! It was pretty much all common sense and the grade boundaries are really low. Although I love geography, I didn't really enjoy it as much as it wasn't challenging. History, on the other hand, was harder, but the exam wasn't too bad because it was just a matter of remembering key dates, events etc. Although I personally perfer both, in terms of the syllabus, lessons and exams, I would go for history as it is more enjoyable, but I seriously think that if you follow the OCR Avery Hill specification for geography, that should be a really easy A or A*!!!
id take history

it will benefit you more with university applications in the future (if you are planning on going to university)
it's up to you but i would pick history i was in more or less the same situation as you and picked geography. i ended up hating it. but thats just me, obviously i regret not taking history but if you have more of an interest in geography and are willing to work hard you will be fine in it as it isn't a difficult subject but there's just lots to learn.
dorian gray
How are your colouring skills?

Don't forget cutting out and sticking in.
Reply 13
joshphillips999
I do like them both, and theres nothing else I like which I haven't already chosen/isn't a weak subject.

There really are no weak subjects at GCSE, as I said, there's no use putting too much thought into it.
klenodie

That's really helpful :rolleyes:

Im also going into Year 10, and I picked Buisness Studies, French, and both Geography and History.

Apparently, Geography has a lot of coursework, but I can imangine that History would have a fair amount aswell.

Which one do you prefer OP? Becuase you want to do the one that you will get the most out of, enjoy, and hopefully do well in.
Reply 15
Narik
I did both history and geography. Personally, I found geography sooo easy I didn't even need to revise for it. I did the OCR avery hill specification and that was my favourite exam!!! It was pretty much all common sense and the grade boundaries are really low. Although I love geography, I didn't really enjoy it as much as it wasn't challenging. History, on the other hand, was harder, but the exam wasn't too bad because it was just a matter of remembering key dates, events etc. Although I personally perfer both, in terms of the syllabus, lessons and exams, I would go for history as it is more enjoyable, but I seriously think that if you follow the OCR Avery Hill specification for geography, that should be a really easy A or A*!!!

Thanks a lot for the input, but my school doesn't do anything on OCR for GCSE other than IT. And reading the rest of your post I most likely am going to take History.
Reply 16
amy1395

Thanks I thought so too.
klenodie
There really are no weak subjects at GCSE, as I said, there's no use putting too much thought into it.

:lolwut:

GCSE Child Development.

That is all.
Reply 18
amy1395

Im also going into Year 10, and I picked Buisness Studies, French, and both Geography and History.

Apparently, Geography has a lot of coursework, but I can imangine that History would have a fair amount aswell.

Which one do you prefer OP? Becuase you want to do the one that you will get the most out of, enjoy, and hopefully do well in.

I enjoy slightly Geography lessons more (but lately its been History) but I always get much higher grades in History, so I probably will take History.

And I prefer exams to coursework, and I can just see myself doing terrible in the Geography Coursework, but when I do assignments in History I usually do well.
klenodie
Thanks I thought so too.

Unfortunatley, it's hard to convey sarcasm over the internet.

Latest