No, no it's not.
Reply 2001
Boucicaut
Application for law:

GCSE: 10 A* 2A (maths and drama)

AS: Philosophy: 89%

English lit: 92%

History: 100%

Chemistry: 79.67% (so one UMS of an A lol)

Is the B a huge problem, basically?

They're really good grades! I don't think you'll have much of a problem - especially with such high UMS in Lit and History! I did post for reassurance... but also so that you would see my sig and join us! :rolleyes:
becbec :)
They're really good grades! I don't think you'll have much of a problem - especially with such high UMS in Lit and History! I did post for reassurance... but also so that you would see my sig and join us! :rolleyes:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I know it's stupid, but I go through cycles of 'its going to be fine' to extreme neuroticism.......guess I should get out more :s
Reply 2003
hey! I really would love to apply to do English and got As in English lit, maths and history and a C in Spanish (getting a dodgey module that brought it down remarked) but I've heard that they want you to have over 90% UMS in at least 3 of them and I havn't got that :frown:. I got 9A*s and an A at AS and I'm from a "low income" background with no history of uni and the sixth form isn't great (thinking applying on access scheme :wink:)
Any advice would be muchly appreciated! :smile:
abbna
hey! I really would love to apply to do English and got As in English lit, maths and history and a C in Spanish (getting a dodgey module that brought it down remarked) but I've heard that they want you to have over 90% UMS in at least 3 of them and I havn't got that :frown:. I got 9A*s and an A at AS and I'm from a "low income" background with no history of uni and the sixth form isn't great (thinking applying on access scheme :wink:)
Any advice would be muchly appreciated! :smile:

90% UMS is a guideline, not a strict rule. What are your UMS marks? How close were you to 90%? I'd still say apply, if your interview goes well you've got a good chance.
Reply 2005
ahhh thanks, cant remember exactly, maths was about 86%, English was high enough, history about 87%, i think :P
Reply 2006
dawgnuts
Hello can someone please evaluate my chances, much appreciated

I obtained 2A* 5A 3B 1C at GCSE from a school with 23% pass rate

During A levels, I had moved to a school that's near top of the league table (State Grammar school)

I obtained:

A Maths 89% (6a)
A Further Maths 83% (5a 1b)
A Chemistry 89% (6a)
A Physics 83% (5a 1c)
A Chinese 83% (2a)
B Business Studies (3a 1b 1e 1u)
D General Studies (2a and rest are like us lol)

Also I got a GOLD in 2008 British Maths Olympiad

Applying for Econ, have lots of work experience and extra CA
Was rejected from Oxford last year, so I really need to know whether or not I should try with Cambridge

Thanks

Bump please reply
dawgnuts
Bump please reply

To be honest your UMS (and GCSEs to some extent, but that will be compensated by your school) are a bit low, so I think you'd struggle to get an offer without a fantastic interview. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a shot though, especially if you do something impressive in your gap year.
Reply 2008
alex_hk90
To be honest your UMS (and GCSEs to some extent, but that will be compensated by your school) are a bit low, so I think you'd struggle to get an offer without a fantastic interview. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a shot though, especially if you do something impressive in your gap year.

Thanks

But I would like to add that, my module scores shows a progressive improvement. In As Chemistry I had BBB, I retook and got AAAAAA in A2 (and a few full marks too in other exams, and my exams in A2 are like 2x as much as in As).
I believe studying in my old school was the main reason for the slack off at the beginning of my A levels, do you think it is worthwhile including this somewhere in my personal statement?
dawgnuts
Thanks

But I would like to add that, my module scores shows a progressive improvement. In As Chemistry I had BBB, I retook and got AAAAAA in A2 (and a few full marks too in other exams, and my exams in A2 are like 2x as much as in As).
I believe studying in my old school was the main reason for the slack off at the beginning of my A levels, do you think it is worthwhile including this somewhere in my personal statement?

Probably not in your personal statement, but maybe get your referee to briefly mention your improvement and reason for it. From the SAQ Cambridge will see that your A2 marks are a lot better so that could work to your advantage.
Reply 2010
alex_hk90
Probably not in your personal statement, but maybe get your referee to briefly mention your improvement and reason for it. From the SAQ Cambridge will see that your A2 marks are a lot better so that could work to your advantage.

Oh wow, after seen your academics I might just give Cambridge a miss lol

Do you know what your colleagues' grades are like?

And a non-related question, what do you want go into after graduation/masters ect...
dawgnuts
Oh wow, after seen your academics I might just give Cambridge a miss lol

Don't be put off by it - I just knew how to play the exam system.

dawgnuts
Do you know what your colleagues' grades are like?

The ones at my college in the same year as me have similar if not better grades. But we were the best performing college this year so I don't think that's particularly representative.

dawgnuts
And a non-related question, what do you want go into after graduation/masters ect...

I'm undecided at the moment, but am considering training to be an actuary.
Reply 2012
alex_hk90
Don't be put off by it - I just knew how to play the exam system.

The ones at my college in the same year as me have similar if not better grades. But we were the best performing college this year so I don't think that's particularly representative.

I'm undecided at the moment, but am considering training to be an actuary.

:zomg:

But how much different is there between any two colleges of Cambridge? lol
dawgnuts
:zomg:

But how much different is there between any two colleges of Cambridge? lol

There isn't meant to be much difference, but when you consider that the average score for us was a highish 1st and the average score for one of the other colleges was a lowish 2.ii then it does make you wonder. (And yes, I am aware of the tiny sample sizes before anyone jumps at that.)
Reply 2014
MUFC_thereligion
Hi,

i really want to apply to cambridge for engineering. My A-level sujects are Maths(which ive finished already), Physics,Economics and Further Maths. Ive also completed an AS in Biology and plan to do an extended project this year. Im predicted an A at further Maths.

If my UMS for all my As are very borderline especially for maths what chances do I have with a strong reference and personal statement?

GCSE's: 7A*s 3As

Thanks

The thing is, everyone will have a strong reference and personal statement... if your UMS are good enough to get you an interview (which, if they're As, I expect they will do) then you need to dazzle 'em there, and then you'll have a chance :smile:
Reply 2015
alex_hk90
There isn't meant to be much difference, but when you consider that the average score for us was a highish 1st and the average score for one of the other colleges was a lowish 2.ii then it does make you wonder. (And yes, I am aware of the tiny sample sizes before anyone jumps at that.)

Wow that's quite big.

And also doesn't Cambridge make something like 180 offers for 166 place? So there must be people who fail to obtain the offers/or have lesser UMS scores? :awesome:
dawgnuts
And also doesn't Cambridge make something like 180 offers for 166 place? So there must be people who fail to obtain the offers/or have lesser UMS scores? :awesome:

I don't have the numbers but that sounds about right. And while some people miss the offer, others choose to go elsewhere (i.e. LSE or abroad).
Reply 2017
alex_hk90
I don't have the numbers but that sounds about right. And while some people miss the offer, others choose to go elsewhere (i.e. LSE or abroad).

Ok tyvm for your infos

But one last question, and in your opinion, do you think Cambridge tend to choose candidates with highest academic grades; or above a certain level of ability, Cambridge will emphasize more on other types of qualities?
dawgnuts
But one last question, and in your opinion, do you think Cambridge tend to choose candidates with highest academic grades; or above a certain level of ability, Cambridge will emphasize more on other types of qualities?

I'm going to have to revert to the official line here, which is that Cambridge will aim to choose those with the greatest academic potential, which will often but not always be demonstrated by high grades.
Reply 2019
Sorry to butt in on this but quick question, Its just this AS maths grade (aswell as many other things but I digress) thats gonna screw my chances of oxbridge.

I found that my school dont hide AS results, but can I hide it by "cashing it in"? I would ofcourse leave my other sujects because there were fine.

If I can hide it, how do you go about cashing it in?

Latest

Trending

Trending