Do you even go to Edinburgh :confused:

Why you want to know?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 241
Have Psych 2 tomorrow afternoon... aagh :s-smilie:
Jamjar
Why you want to know?

because this is the current Edinburgh students chat thread.... ie: everyone here is a student at Edinburgh at the moment hence we're talking about exams etc, and we thought you were currently applying for physics... ? :smile:

i'm hoooooome now.... went to the library today to get reading for over christmas and felt bad about the people still revising... hope everyones exams went well!
oxymoronic
because this is the current Edinburgh students chat thread.... ie: everyone here is a student at Edinburgh at the moment hence we're talking about exams etc, and we thought you were currently applying for physics... ? :smile:

i'm hoooooome now.... went to the library today to get reading for over christmas and felt bad about the people still revising... hope everyones exams went well!

I was in the GS library for the first time today. It's so nice and quiet!

How did your one exam go? Or was it not an exam? It was something important, anyway. :p:
Rainfaery
I was in the GS library for the first time today. It's so nice and quiet!

How did your one exam go? Or was it not an exam? It was something important, anyway.

hehe, which floor are you on though that is the important thing - your choice of floor says so much about you as a person! it is only quiet when people refrain from using their phones at the desks.

exam was alright, i don't feel like a 4th year and i don't feel any more intelligent/capable of answering than when i was a fresher, so we shall see :smile: i've now finished 50% of my degree with 50% to go next semester!! how did yours go?
oxymoronic
hehe, which floor are you on though that is the important thing - your choice of floor says so much about you as a person! it is only quiet when people refrain from using their phones at the desks.

exam was alright, i don't feel like a 4th year and i don't feel any more intelligent/capable of answering than when i was a fresher, so we shall see :smile: i've now finished 50% of my degree with 50% to go next semester!! how did yours go?

I was on the second floor. :p: I had to be on an even floor, and I was too lazy to climb up to the fourth. :rolleyes:

It must be exiting to be almost done. :biggrin: I can hardly believe that I've made it through an entire semester of university. It's basically crazy.

Two of my exams went really well, and the other two were okayish. We'll see, I guess. If I don't do as well as I hoped, I'll be okay with it, because I had a couple of major things come up at the end of November that really impacted studying and stuff.

Do you know when results are released?
Rainfaery
I was on the second floor. I had to be on an even floor, and I was too lazy to climb up to the fourth.

It must be exiting to be almost done. :biggrin: I can hardly believe that I've made it through an entire semester of university. It's basically crazy.

Two of my exams went really well, and the other two were okayish. We'll see, I guess. If I don't do as well as I hoped, I'll be okay with it, because I had a couple of major things come up at the end of November that really impacted studying and stuff.

Do you know when results are released?

i don't like the 2nd floor, its full of what seem to be 1st years running around - the 3rd floor is much cooler and grown up, hehe. i was on 4th yesterday getting my book :smile: would have hated to still be doing work for exams!

sounds alright on the exam front, and as its your first semester all of it is just a trial run anyway... results vary with departments although they're generally end of Jan/start of Feb but with no specific dates - it just comes up on your myed tab, and each exam might come out on a different date, they're not all out together. they tend to do 4th years first then go backwards so the lower years are waiting for longer, but obviously its more "important" that final years find out grades quicker as they mean something to us. the same thing happens in the summer, final year gets done first as then we can find out our classifications quicker :smile:

are you going back to the states for christmas? hope you're not flying with BA!
oxymoronic
i don't like the 2nd floor, its full of what seem to be 1st years running around - the 3rd floor is much cooler and grown up, hehe. i was on 4th yesterday getting my book :smile: would have hated to still be doing work for exams!

sounds alright on the exam front, and as its your first semester all of it is just a trial run anyway... results vary with departments although they're generally end of Jan/start of Feb but with no specific dates - it just comes up on your myed tab, and each exam might come out on a different date, they're not all out together. they tend to do 4th years first then go backwards so the lower years are waiting for longer, but obviously its more "important" that final years find out grades quicker as they mean something to us. the same thing happens in the summer, final year gets done first as then we can find out our classifications quicker :smile:

are you going back to the states for christmas? hope you're not flying with BA!

I was surprised last night by how many people still seemed to be studying for exams! Today is the last day in the exam diet, right?

Apparently we can get our physics mark by 13th January by going in to some feedback workshop, which is suprisingly soon! Who knows how long the maths department will take, though. :p:

Nope, no USA for me! I'm heading to Norway on the 22nd with friends for Christmas, and then from the 7th to the 9th I'm heading to Dublin with friends. (£6 return with Ryanair!) Tickets back to the US were too expensive, and my mother didn't really want me coming back anyway. :s-smilie:

You're applying for a PGCE right? Have you heard back about that? :smile:

By the way, I found that place that does haircuts with a shot of vodka. :biggrin: My friends think I should get my hair cut there just for kicks.
Rainfaery
I was surprised last night by how many people still seemed to be studying for exams! Today is the last day in the exam diet, right?

Apparently we can get our physics mark by 13th January by going in to some feedback workshop, which is suprisingly soon! Who knows how long the maths department will take, though.

Nope, no USA for me! I'm heading to Norway on the 22nd with friends for Christmas, and then from the 7th to the 9th I'm heading to Dublin with friends. (£6 return with Ryanair!) Tickets back to the US were too expensive, and my mother didn't really want me coming back anyway. :s-smilie:

You're applying for a PGCE right? Have you heard back about that? :smile:

By the way, I found that place that does haircuts with a shot of vodka. :biggrin: My friends think I should get my hair cut there just for kicks.

Yeah today is the last day of exams but a lot of people have essay deadlines today/later next week for honours courses so will still be working, or they have big deadlines for dissertation stuff in the first week back so will be trying to get a lot done before christmas.... at least this is the case with my friends. I'm fairly lucky in that I've just got loads of reading to be doing rather than essays which is nice.

Thats exciting about your exam grades then - you'll get them back before I do which doesn't seem fair :p: I should become a physics student!

Hope you've got lots of money for Norway, but it should be really pretty - are you renting a cabin? We did that last year (not for christmas) and it was really really fun. Where abouts are you going? Dublin will be wicked too, but also expensive! I love going there on random outings when its cheap with RA!

I've got an interview for my PGDE in Jan then they said I'll know if I'm accepted by the end of Jan, so will just wait and see in that department, then I've got a few other ideas for different Masters courses I might apply for but I don't need to do that until later in the year so I can make decisions once I know about the PGDE.

If you go let me know, I need a hair cut before my interview and I have no money, hehe!! :smile:
oxymoronic
Yeah today is the last day of exams but a lot of people have essay deadlines today/later next week for honours courses so will still be working, or they have big deadlines for dissertation stuff in the first week back so will be trying to get a lot done before christmas.... at least this is the case with my friends. I'm fairly lucky in that I've just got loads of reading to be doing rather than essays which is nice.

Thats exciting about your exam grades then - you'll get them back before I do which doesn't seem fair :p: I should become a physics student!

Hope you've got lots of money for Norway, but it should be really pretty - are you renting a cabin? We did that last year (not for christmas) and it was really really fun. Where abouts are you going? Dublin will be wicked too, but also expensive! I love going there on random outings when its cheap with RA!

I've got an interview for my PGDE in Jan then they said I'll know if I'm accepted by the end of Jan, so will just wait and see in that department, then I've got a few other ideas for different Masters courses I might apply for but I don't need to do that until later in the year so I can make decisions once I know about the PGDE.

If you go let me know, I need a hair cut before my interview and I have no money, hehe!! :smile:

I always forget that other people might have essays and stuff. :p: I <3 being a scientist. :biggrin:

My friends are Norwegian, so I am staying with one of their families. :smile: We'll be in Molde, which is on the west coast of Norway. It's a really beautiful place; loads of mountains. :biggrin: (Coming from a really flat place, mountains make me super excited!)

I'll be sure to let you know if I do go. It'll be an adventure, that's for sure. :biggrin:
Reply 250
Finished my exams :biggrin: Psychology went surprisingly well but McEwan Hall was baltic :frown:
Jillee
Finished my exams :biggrin: Psychology went surprisingly well but McEwan Hall was baltic :frown:

The adjective "baltic" when used in the context "cold" has interested me since I first moved to Scotland. It's not something used outside of Scotland - I'm curious about the etymology - one has to assume that what with Scotland being fairly chilly they just chose somewhere on the map that looked colder. Or perhaps a reference to the numerous Scots who were in the Baltic region hundreds of years ago...

It's -19 in Uppsala at the moment.
Jillee

I had an exam in there on tuesday... twas not cold!

Although you've clearly not developed the cynical 4th year attitude of taking your coat/scarf/every item of clothing to your desk with you in the off chance it might be cold - fail on your part!
nearlyheadlessian
The adjective "baltic" when used in the context "cold" has interested me since I first moved to Scotland. It's not something used outside of Scotland - I'm curious about the etymology - one has to assume that what with Scotland being fairly chilly they just chose somewhere on the map that looked colder. Or perhaps a reference to the numerous Scots who were in the Baltic region hundreds of years ago...

It's -19 in Uppsala at the moment.

Ha, I've always wondered this as well. Scotland's going to feel nice and warm after all this -20 nonsense in Finland.
elisabethbridge
Ha, I've always wondered this as well. Scotland's going to feel nice and warm after all this -20 nonsense in Finland.

I wouldn't be so sure - last year I couldn't wait to get back to Finland because it was warmer there than it was in the UK... it was in the new year period when the UK froze over... I've never seen the sea frozen here before but it did then so going back over there in Jan was a nice relief from the cold :smile: I'm sure Edinburgh is actually colder in terms of how it feels, its a different kind of cold.
Everyone have a good Christmas?
nearlyheadlessian
Everyone have a good Christmas?

Mine's been grand; what about yours?

Christmas in Norway is loads of fun. :biggrin: We went skiing today!
Rainfaery
Mine's been grand; what about yours?

Christmas in Norway is loads of fun. :biggrin: We went skiing today!

Low key, largely. Better than last year though :smile:
Can not wait to get back to Edinburgh :smile:

Its scary thinking that this is the final time I can say that... this is the final semester :frown:
Reply 259
I'm kind of gutted I was home before the snow started in Edinburgh. Still, it's snowed a lot at home too so I haven't really missed out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending