The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Definatly try and get large animal vets and dairy!

Does anyone know if there are any pig and or poultry farms in Usk or around that general area?
Reply 1041
There's definately a poultry farm as I have a friend who said she was going to one, I can't remember quite where it is though (She's Cardiff based but it's relatively close to you). As for pigs there's an unfortunate shortage in South Wales it seems.
Reply 1042
Feeling quite successful as I have just got myself a one day a week work experience at one of the biggest horse riding centres in the S.E :smile: Also I am off to a farm next week - only for a week but if it goes well he has suggested I can come again :biggrin:
Have also just sent off loads more letters and emails asking places (very nicely) if they will have me!

Anybody know of any good work experience places in Kent? As close to the Thanet and Canterbury area as possible please
Reply 1043
I would like to apply next year for 2012 entry. Could you give me any tips on the work experience i have so far please: Like what i need to do for definite, what i need more time doing, less time doing etc. I'm really struggling for time because I thought I would have my A2 year for doing w.e before applying! so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it all in.

Thanks!

Ones in pink are the ones i have done/have

I'd say you're pretty much ok on vet experience but you probably need more animal husbandry. Dairy would be really good, as most people will have it. Pigs would also be useful, then you will have covered the main species. After that get what ever you can more stables perhaps, especially if you're not horsey and any of the other placements you mentioned (poultry etc). Perhaps get something a bit different too e.g. a zoo, llama farm, seal sancutary etc. Remember you want to meet liverpool's minimum of 4 weeks vet and 6 weeks animal husbandry. Hope that helps.
:smile:
Had my first day today at a mixed practice. They hope to get me out doing farm work one day.

Just came back from it and secured a week on a pig farm! My lucky day:smile:
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
Had my first day today at a mixed practice. They hope to get me out doing farm work one day.

Ace, you're doing really good :smile:
Where's the mixed practice? I'm at an equine practice all this week, and they're giving me all of their Vet Records lol XD
Thankyou! Which area do you live?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1047

that the one in lich?
you'll love it! :smile:
Reply 1048
Been applying here, there and everywhere! Anyone know of any good places in Kent??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by emmaaa..
that the one in lich?
you'll love it! :smile:

Yes! Thanks so much for recommending it. The man is well enthusiastic i barely finished what i had to say! He seemed pretty happy I was coming :biggrin:
Reply 1050
Yes! Thanks so much for recommending it. The man is well enthusiastic i barely finished what i had to say! He seemed pretty happy I was coming :biggrin:

no problem :smile: it's my fave placement of all i think wish i'd gone for longer than a week!
did you speak to john? when i first spoke to him i felt the same cos he was just so keen to have me.
they're all lovely, i have most of them on fb now lol! when are you going? they wean every three weeks so hopefully you should get to help with that if youre going one of those weeks....watching 4 grown men chase 1 piglet, one of the funniest sights ever :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Thankyou! Which area do you live?

Near Manchester :smile:
Reply 1052
hey guys!! im in year 12 now and just getting into serious work experience. I live in an area filled with farms, so is a lot of work experience on farm with cattle and sheep, including lambing, an advantage?? I am freaking out about the required w/e to get into Liverpool!!!!! :eek:

Thanks if anyone can help
lots of farm work experience would definitely be an advantage!
Reply 1054
would it matter if three or four weeks was made up of different farms?? or is any experience ok??
i want to do work experience at a zoo, but as it's not close i could only do a few days- would that at least look better than none??
going to different farms would be fine - you'll get to see a wider range of farming systems.

a few days at a zoo would be great for a bit of variety as long as you have farm work, kennels and stables under your belt. have a look at the first post in this thread - it has lots of information about work experience :smile:
Reply 1056
thanks for that :smile:
yeah i read the post- it stopped me having a minor panic attack i think!!!
extremely useful!!!
thanks again :smile:
Hi guys.

I've found some lambing work experience. However apparently for the days I am available for the lambs will actually be coming out(!) for a period of 3 days that I am available for. Is this enough experience? Or do I need to find somewhere else aswell? Or alternatively shall I ask him whether for the other 2 days I could do some lamb related work whilst I'm there?

Thankyou!
most of 'lambing' isn't actually delivering lambs as you try to not get involved if the mother is doing okay it's more refilling water, bedding down pens, giving them hay, and then iodine on their navels and dock their tails etc castrating them ....etc, but them just being about means you can learn plenty, and if they're giving birth for 3 of your days then thats enough to see it :smile:
Thanks for that :smile:

I'm running out of large animal/equine vets but one last option which I'm stretching for in my area. If I don't get an offer there what shall I do if I have no LA/equine vet experience?

I have everything else work experience wise booked although I'm still looking around for dairy too but im a bit more optimistic about finding some dairy work :smile:

If I can't get any LA/equine vet work experience shall I make sure I do a weeks worth at a stables and some more farm work? Or would you suggest an alternative route/option?

Thanks so much(:

Quick Reply

Latest