The Student Room Group

Why did you guyz choose pharmacy???

Just wanted to know why people chose pharmacy.

I chose Pharmacy on impulse. I attended the open day at Aston. It seemed like an interesting course so i just applied. i really didnt have a clue if this was the career for me. Even now i'm not totally sure.

I know some people who come from a family of medics and pharmacists etc. But i'm from a low income working class family (god knows how i ended up doing pharmacy)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Back up for Medicine.

2 reasons I've choosen Pharmacy

1) Involves organic chemistry. I love chemistry
2) Leads directly to a career, which doesn't just involve lab work
I chose pharmacy but im not entirely sure if i really want to do it.
Ive done a lot of reading on pharmacy recently. Its changing quite a lot which can be good and bad.

I'd also like to hear why others chose pharmacy.
For all the wrong reasons initially :-D
The careers guy at sixth form was pressurising me to choose my uni options and i really didn't know what to do. I went to some chemistry workshop sort of thing at nottingham uni and pharmacy seemed as though it would keep my options open for a lot longer as its quite easy to go from pharmacy on to other stuff.

Also very good employment opportunities, pay is good, i like science, get to help people.

Having said that, i hate being in the same place for long periods of time. Community pharmacy gives me cabin fever, so the plan is to go into hospital pharmacy.
The master plan is to go into something where i get to move about and hopefully work outdoors a bit.
Reply 4
I didnt get anywhere near enough the grades to apply for Dentistry, although kinda glad now cos i dont think that's what want to do for the rest of my life.

Pharmacy seems to be a good career, fairly good pay, lots of job opportunities, quite like the idea of going up to people saying, "Hello, i'm a pharmacist, what do you do?" :P

I've also always liked life sciences and prefer a more invloved with the people job, than being stuck in a lab.

But i need to get into the course first..
The deputy head of upper school told me I was too clever to go and do forensic science so I was like "Hmmm what about pharmacy? I've worked in a chemist before, it wasn't so bad" to which the answer was "Yes, much better, great career" ... and here I am. Great way to choose :wink:
Reply 6
I had quite bad asthma as a child and my mum always used to take me to the Pharmacy, basically I saw that the Pharmacist gave me the medication and I saw him doing his job behind the counter, and at that young age it inspired me, thats what I wanted to do.

Other big things that play a big role in my decision:
1) I have ALWAYS wanted to work in the healthcare sector, even as a young child.
2) I love organic chemistry.
3) I have a genuine passion to help people.
4) I do not have one straight career path, ie. I can go into community if I do not like hospital pharmacy

Thats about it really as I do not come from a medical background...
I had a toss up between Pharmacy and Electronic Engineering. Pharmacy I considered as a back-up because my dad's a Pharmacist and I thought it would be simple :rolleyes:.

Decided to go with that because I didn't do well at maths. But then it turned out that I wasn't too good at chemistry either :laugh:.
Reply 8
Ive done a lot of reading on pharmacy recently. Its changing quite a lot which can be good and bad.

Oh really what are they about? I don't seems to find much about pharmacy in the library.~ Do you read the PJ online?
Reply 9

Oh really what are they about? I don't seems to find much about pharmacy in the library.~ Do you read the PJ online?
Reply 10
_G_K_
Just wanted to know why people chose pharmacy.

I chose Pharmacy on impulse. I attended the open day at Aston. It seemed like an interesting course so i just applied. i really didnt have a clue if this was the career for me. Even now i'm not totally sure.

I know some people who come from a family of medics and pharmacists etc. But i'm from a low income working class family (god knows how i ended up doing pharmacy)

i am in the same boat as u!

totally confused wot 2 do, i think i was sout o pressurised cos i cudn do medicine cos i am 2 dumb! :frown: so i went 4 the nxt bes ting (sumting dat lead 2 sumink at the end)
Bad news I'm afraid, Mortimer. The "next best thing" still requires good communication skills - In english for example. Being able to type properly gets you a long way.innit.
Reply 12
Jimmocrates
Bad news I'm afraid, Mortimer. The "next best thing" still requires good communication skills - In english for example. Being able to type properly gets you a long way.innit.

And it is widely known to be more difficult academically than a Medicine degree.
Pav27
And it is widely known to be more difficult academically than a Medicine degree.

Please tell me a bit more about this. The idea of being academically smarter than a doctor is amusing to many people but I bet doctors respect it.

I chose Pharmacy as a course I wish to do as it looks cool, is a masters in 4 years, leads to a good job and is academically challenging.
Pav27

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Seeing as I haven't done a medicine degree,I can only comment from what i have seen, but whilst what they do is hard, medics don't have to do as broad a range of subjects.

For example, I have to do pharmacy law and social pharmacy which is all legal stuff and how you must behave and act, but at the other end of the scale i have to do stuff like rational drug design and medicinal chemistry. these subjects are infinitely different but are both really hard, as you have to be good at memorising tedious legal info for law stuff, then be scientific and good at chemistry for med chem/drug design. In the middle of all that is physiology, pharmacology and chemotherapy which requires you to be good at biology, and you'll find that across the range of subjects you have to do (and you have to pass every single module to proceed) you get tested in all sorts of areas and can't be a "one trick pony", only able to do one subject well.

Despite all this, the responsibility which lies with medics is huge. The decisions you make involve life and death. I'd hate having such a burden on my back, so much respect to them. its why they get paid so much.
Reply 15
Jimmocrates
For all the wrong reasons initially :-D
The careers guy at sixth form was pressurising me to choose my uni options and i really didn't know what to do. I went to some chemistry workshop sort of thing at nottingham uni and pharmacy seemed as though it would keep my options open for a lot longer as its quite easy to go from pharmacy on to other stuff.

Also very good employment opportunities, pay is good, i like science, get to help people.

Having said that, i hate being in the same place for long periods of time. Community pharmacy gives me cabin fever, so the plan is to go into hospital pharmacy.
The master plan is to go into something where i get to move about and hopefully work outdoors a bit.

sounds like u need to check out industry. Industry has many aspects. and you can also move around n work in new areas of industry.
Reply 16
pfulham60

They involve the MUR

and the advanced and enhanced services which will be provided by the pharmacists

and dispensing technicians will be registered so they can dispense while you advise patients on how to take their medication n answer queries etc.
Reply 17
_G_K_
They involve the MUR

and the advanced and enhanced services which will be provided by the pharmacists

and dispensing technicians will be registered so they can dispense while you advise patients on how to take their medication n answer queries etc.

I chose to do Pharmacy because i am a qualified dispensing technician and have been working in a Pharmacy for 6 years so felt it was the next logical step to take. Also with Pharmacy evolving and changing so much its going to get alot more interesting. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Gemma1725
Also with Pharmacy evolving and changing so much its going to get alot more interesting. :smile: :smile: :smile:

:laugh:
is that a laugh of agreement????

Quick Reply