The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheddar
I know I'm really worried now but I would love to go to Leicester so I guess I don't mind taking a risk :/

Same.. ah the torture we have to go through :P Where else are you thinking of applying??
Reply 81
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Same.. ah the torture we have to go through :P Where else are you thinking of applying??

Bart's and the London, Peninsula and BSMS. BSMS is another risky choice and I'm a re-app so I need to get in this year:redface:. What about you?
Original post by Cheddar
Bart's and the London, Peninsula and BSMS. BSMS is another risky choice and I'm a re-app so I need to get in this year:redface:. What about you?

Ah okay, they seem like good options!! I was thinking BSMS but their selection is all a bit too ambiguous so :P I'm hoping to apply to HYMS and possibly Keele, undecided on the fourth :frown: I'm sure you'll get in this year :P Where did you apply last cycle?
Reply 83
Ah okay, they seem like good options!! I was thinking BSMS but their selection is all a bit too ambiguous so :P I'm hoping to apply to HYMS and possibly Keele, undecided on the fourth :frown: I'm sure you'll get in this year :P Where did you apply last cycle?

Ahh Keele, I applied there last year but the competition was ridiculous because its such a small school. Also applied to Peninsula and Southampton all rejected without interview. I had an interview from Manchester which I messed up but I guess its all a learning curve and I can actually realise where I went wrong now:colondollar: so its all good.
Reply 84
Do you know roughly what the cut off out of 90 is? Out of 60 i got 46 i think! :/ and whats this with stations and interviewing?
Reply 85
Ah okay, thanks for that! On the website scoring of applications document, it says that after the UKCAT + GCSE score is combined, the lowest scoring applicants won't be considered further.. so with regards to last year, as you say, would you be able to say roughly what you would need out of 60 to be considered further? Thanks!! :biggrin:

Last year, I was rejected, and they sent me feedback:

We require applicants to achieve (or be predicted to achieve) at least AAA in A-levels or equivalent. Most of our applicants will meet this criterion. Therefore, in order to distinguish between applicants we consider a range of other factors.

We assess the applicant's previous academic record together with the personal statement, referee's report and the UKCAT score. Each application is considered thoroughly and the whole UCAS form is given a total score out of 40. Your academic record scored 10/10, referee's report 8/10, personal statement 6/10 and UKCAT 8/10. On this basis, your application was given a score of 32.

We are only able to interview approximately the top 1000 candidates and this year, we only invited candidates who obtained a score of at least 34.

So it looks like 85% will be the cut off meaning a score of 51/60 or 75/90 :smile:

Though I think its a little easier to get points this year as they dont assess referee's report, so I'd say 90% is a better guess (to be absolutely safe, though I could be wrong!) which makes it 54/60 or 81/90!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hookguy
Last year, I was rejected, and they sent me feedback:

So it looks like 85% will be the cut off meaning a score of 51/60 or 75/90 :smile:

Though I think its a little easier to get points this year as they dont assess referee's report, so I'd say 90% is a better guess (to be absolutely safe, though I could be wrong!) which makes it 54/60 or 81/90!

Uh oh I dont have 54 :/! Reading their selection document thing they said they asses the personal statement and referee's report together and score it out of 30? I know it all depends on how many applicants there are, but considering on the document they are only expecting to interview approx 750 applicants :eek:.. Also, sticking to your estimates, would that mean everyone with a score below 54 or 51 out of 60 would automatically be rejected at that stage? Because they said they are going to remove the lowest scoring applicants and then review the remaining applicant's personal qualities, so removing everyone below 54/60 would remove quite a lot of applicants :confused:
Reply 87
Uh oh I dont have 54 :/! Reading their selection document thing they said they asses the personal statement and referee's report together and score it out of 30? I know it all depends on how many applicants there are, but considering on the document they are only expecting to interview approx 750 applicants :eek:.. Also, sticking to your estimates, would that mean everyone with a score below 54 or 51 out of 60 would automatically be rejected at that stage? Because they said they are going to remove the lowest scoring applicants and then review the remaining applicant's personal qualities, so removing everyone below 54/60 would remove quite a lot of applicants :confused:

Ah yes I hadn't read that part in the document. Looks like they rank it out of 60, use a cut off, rank it out of 90 then use a further cut off for interview.

I don't know what the cut off will be though, there will certainly be fewer applicants this year, but then again there are fewer interviews. 750 interviews to 300 offers...

I'm really not one to advise, seeing as I couldn't even manage an interview last year! If you think you have a shot I'd go for it, I know I would regret it if I didn't try to get into a uni I loved!
Reply 88
I remember reading somewhere they just score you out of 30 like you mentioned and then combining that with GCSE's and personal statement (I think) you get a score out of 90. There is a cut off out of 90 which you have to meet in order to qualify for an interview.. so I'm assuming unless they use your scores again after interview, they only use it to interview applicants..

do you know what the cut off is? roughly? :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by kyates05
do you know what the cut off is? roughly? :smile:

Read my post above
Reply 90
if you did triple science at gcse, would all the three science be included in the academics or just the top two? A bit confused :s-smilie:
Original post by xgoldenx
if you did triple science at gcse, would all the three science be included in the academics or just the top two? A bit confused :s-smilie:

Same boat I'm in. I assume all three which brings my score down by a stupid 2 points :mad:
Reply 92
Same boat I'm in. I assume all three which brings my score down by a stupid 2 points :mad:

Hmm i hope not because thats unfair as some people do double sciences :s My score goes down by 1 :angry:
Hmm i hope not because thats unfair as some people do double sciences :s My score goes down by 1 :angry:

Yep, hopefully they take it into consideration? What's your score combined with UKCAT then?
Reply 94
Yep, hopefully they take it into consideration? What's your score combined with UKCAT then?

Mines is 53, how about yours?
Hey everyone. If you guys need any help feel free to ask me, and I'll try my best to help. Good luck everyone. And remember if you get an offer from Leicester, firm it :tongue:
Mines is 53, how about yours?

52.. No idea if that's good or bad :confused:
Has anyone applied for leicester GEP in their final year of degree???
Reply 98

They take your top 6 GCSE's into consideration, so if you did double science thats 2 GCSE's, while triple science is 3 so they would take all 3 into consideration (if they were your highest grades)
Reply 99
Original post by hookguy
They take your top 6 GCSE's into consideration, so if you did double science thats 2 GCSE's, while triple science is 3 so they would take all 3 into consideration (if they were your highest grades)

How do you know this, did you call them or from the open day?

Quick Reply

Latest