The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

As a kid I used to call swearing 'squaring' and 'square words' :colondollar:
Reply 41
I used to think inset days were called insect days, and the day before one I'd capture some woodlice from my garden, only to be told I didn't have to go in the next day :frown:
Reply 42
I hate Tooth faced people
Reply 43
NZ is a modern developed country.

The truth from people who live there seems to be that it is a developing third world backwater.
Reply 44
For years until I was 14 (I think) I had a habit of saying 'revelant' instead of 'relevant'. Wrote it the wrong way for years too :frown:

I also never knew kerfuffle was an actual word until last year, I just thought it was one of those made-up words people use.
my mum told me she was giving a guinea to someone as part of their wedding present, and it took me so long to realise that she didn't mean a guinea pig but meant some gold coin :frown:
Reply 46
"Bananas do not grow on trees"

I just read that on the Wikipedia article. What do they grow on then?? *googles*

EDIT: While they look like trees they are actually 'herbs'... I did not know that...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
It is possible to lick your own elbow (disproved that you couldn't myself ^_^). And the tongue 'taste map' is false.

When I was little I once wrote 'Christmas!' on every single month, not realising each page represented a month, not a year. I also could have sworn that Christmas day was the 24th.
Seems to be a new thing with mis-spelling lose as 'loose'. I'm far from perfect when it comes to English but it's such a simple word. I've deleted over 20 people from facebook due to a failure to spell 'loose' correctly on a status.
Reply 49
could never manage to say car park, came out as par cark every time :frown:
Reply 50
Original post by Fusion
Water plus some type of protein :s-smilie:

It's myoglobin. Myoglobin is like haemoglobin for muscles (in basic terms). Whilst it may not be "blood" as in red blood cells, it's fair to say it's that it's pretty akin to blood. Also, the red stuff isn't just water and myoglobin, a lot of the liquid component will be similar to the liquid components of blood anyway.
Reply 51
Until I was 13 had no idea calling someone half caste was rude or derogatory, :colondollar: so I'd be calling mixed race people this with out any idea how offensive I was being
and not till a couple years later did I know why it was offensive:colondollar:
Reply 52
There was a song we used to sing in primary school that went like...
"Who built the ark,
Noah Noah,
Who built the ark
Brother Noah built the ark"

I used to think it was
"Who built the ark,
No-one No-one,
Who built the ark
Brother No-one built the ark"
Reply 53
Beware! The OP is a QI elf in disguise, seeking to harvest our misconceptions to create the ultimate general ignorance round. :ninja:
More on hymns at Primary school, for years I missheard;

'Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Dance said he,'

as

'Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Damp Settee,' ...

Always wondered why exactly we were singing about this guy...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by KKKKatie
could never manage to say car park, came out as par cark every time :frown:

Me too! I still do it sometimes :colondollar:
I don't know if it's just americans but I always see people online type I could care less instead of I couldn't care less.

For example they'll say "I could care less if you hate me".

It's not even a typo, so I have no idea why alot of people seem to say that :confused:
When i was younger, i remember watching a football match between Celtic vs Rangers years ago.

I kept on thinking the commentator said 'And...it's still Ian Petrov on the ball'

Now i just hang my head in shame...
Reply 58
I thought that Birmingham was called 'Burning Ham' when I was little. :tongue:
Reply 59
My parents always used to tell me I was being "unnuisance".

Quick Reply

Latest