The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

BA Education Studes

Today I found out that I was rejected for the Primary Ed course at Derby, but they offered me a place on the Education Studies course instead.

Can someone either doing the course, or who has been to an Open Day for this course fill me in about the course in more detail that then webiste does?

I'd like to know what the modules are like and how well prepared they leave you for a career in teaching.

Thank you:smile:
I have friends who did education studies who did not get on primary ed.
Ed studies looks at the educational system throughout history and the world. You will compare our education system to that of other countries, the legisaltion and policy etc. Other strands dep on the uni can include how people learn, the learning styles and the theories behind learning. This course is very very different to primary ed as you will already know but the idea behind it is you are studying education before applying for a PGCE as its not a QTS course.

Have u got any others chances for primary ed elsewhere??
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by katherineturner229
I have friends who did education studies who did not get on primary ed.
Ed studies looks at the educational system throughout history and the world. You will compare our education system to that of other countries, the legisaltion and policy etc. Other strands dep on the uni can include how people learn, the learning styles and the theories behind learning. This course is very very different to primary ed as you will already know but the idea behind it is you are studying education before applying for a PGCE as its not a QTS course.

Have u got any others chances for primary ed elsewhere??

Do you know if your friends struggled to get on to the PGCE course? This is a worry of mine.

I don't at the moment no. I have another interview for BG, Lincoln so hopefully I will get a place there.

I also have an offer for Psychology and Educational Development at Notts Trent which like Education Studies will require a PGCE. That course sounds more interesting than Education Studies to be honest :smile: Again I'm just concerned I might not get onto a PGCE :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by sahararawr
Today I found out that I was rejected for the Primary Ed course at Derby, but they offered me a place on the Education Studies course instead.

Can someone either doing the course, or who has been to an Open Day for this course fill me in about the course in more detail that then webiste does?

I'd like to know what the modules are like and how well prepared they leave you for a career in teaching.

Thank you:smile:

Hello I am in my final year of ed studies at Derby and i love it! Really enjoy the modules and I have been offered a place on the primary pgce at derby too. To be honest i think the pgce looks at the type of person you are, what other activities outside of uni that you participate in and what practical experiences you have (i.e - placements/work experience), a relevant degree related to education is also handy but saying that I know of people who have a degree in a specific subject that have been accepted on to the pgce too.

Good luck with everything! :-)

sorry - the modules I have had so far are behaviour management, curriculum corruption and construction, contemporary issues. All of which are related and relevant to teaching. This semester I am taking modules in SEN, learning and motivation and education development. I have a dissertation to produce too. Hope this helps? P.M me with any questions
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lowe28
Hello I am in my final year of ed studies at Derby and i love it! Really enjoy the modules and I have been offered a place on the primary pgce at derby too. To be honest i think the pgce looks at the type of person you are, what other activities outside of uni that you participate in and what practical experiences you have (i.e - placements/work experience), a relevant degree related to education is also handy but saying that I know of people who have a degree in a specific subject that have been accepted on to the pgce too.

Good luck with everything! :-)

sorry - the modules I have had so far are behaviour management, curriculum corruption and construction, contemporary issues. All of which are related and relevant to teaching. This semester I am taking modules in SEN, learning and motivation and education development. I have a dissertation to produce too. Hope this helps? P.M me with any questions

When you say "what other activities you do outside of uni".. what sort of things do you mean? :smile:

The modules sound good actually. I read on the website that there are some government policies that are studied on the course - are these also relevant to teaching?

Also what sort of thing can you do for your dissertation?

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 5
When you say "what other activities you do outside of uni".. what sort of things do you mean? :smile:

The modules sound good actually. I read on the website that there are some government policies that are studied on the course - are these also relevant to teaching?

Also what sort of thing can you do for your dissertation?

Thank you very much :smile:

yeah government policies are throughout schools ie: behaviour policy within a school, the national curriculum is a statutory requirement by the government etc. Other activities outside school like afterschool clubs, youth theatres, drama clubs. for example i ran and managed drama groups and volunteered at my local cricket club to help teach children basic skills. i also attended various placements for 2 days a week whilst at uni. Experience counts a lot.

Your dissertation is based around an area of your own interest providing it is based around education provision for children or adults.
Reply 6
Original post by lowe28
yeah government policies are throughout schools ie: behaviour policy within a school, the national curriculum is a statutory requirement by the government etc. Other activities outside school like afterschool clubs, youth theatres, drama clubs. for example i ran and managed drama groups and volunteered at my local cricket club to help teach children basic skills. i also attended various placements for 2 days a week whilst at uni. Experience counts a lot.

Your dissertation is based around an area of your own interest providing it is based around education provision for children or adults.

Brilliant, thanks very much for the info :smile:
When is ur BG interview? I am on Primary Ed there x
Reply 8
When is ur BG interview? I am on Primary Ed there x

I had it on the 21st :smile: It went well (I think) I was really please! I was worried about the Maths but when I came out it had gone well (again I think haha) because it was quite easy in comparison to the one I had sat at Derby!

This is weird I met a Katherine whilst I was there, she's a first year. Not you is it? That would be a massive coincidence!
I had it on the 21st :smile: It went well (I think) I was really please! I was worried about the Maths but when I came out it had gone well (again I think haha) because it was quite easy in comparison to the one I had sat at Derby!

This is weird I met a Katherine whilst I was there, she's a first year. Not you is it? That would be a massive coincidence!

Yeah thats me!! I have been helping on interview days thats why I asked. Glad it went well, let me know how u get on :-) xx
Actually just thought two katherines helping tuesday, I was wearing black v neck jumper u could have met the other katherine x
Reply 11
Actually just thought two katherines helping tuesday, I was wearing black v neck jumper u could have met the other katherine x

I think that was you! Do you have long blonde hair?

If so, you gave my mum and dad a list of off site accomidation. We came to sit on the table you were on with a girl in a cream jumper.

How weird is it that I talked to you before I actually met you and never knew! :O hope this a good sign!

Sarah x
I think that was you! Do you have long blonde hair?

If so, you gave my mum and dad a list of off site accomidation. We came to sit on the table you were on with a girl in a cream jumper.

How weird is it that I talked to you before I actually met you and never knew! :O hope this a good sign!

Sarah x

Yeah lol, thats me!! ahh cool I was gutted I would not know how u got on as spent a whilw chatting to your parents...keep me posted. I am sure you have done well :-) XX
Reply 13
Yeah lol, thats me!! ahh cool I was gutted I would not know how u got on as spent a whilw chatting to your parents...keep me posted. I am sure you have done well :-) XX

I looked for you to say bye but couldnt find you! They told me they spoke to you! Ive looked at the accomidation you recommended and it looks more like my kind of housing :') I don't want to look too much in case I jinx it though! Really really want to go to BG! I have an offer for Education Studies at derby and psychology and educational development at Notts Trent but of course I'll need to get on a pgce and I just want to get to the teaching part of my life! Plus it will be twice as hard to get on to a pgce course!

The anxiety of finding out if I got a place is killing me!! Lol x
I looked for you to say bye but couldnt find you! They told me they spoke to you! Ive looked at the accomidation you recommended and it looks more like my kind of housing :') I don't want to look too much in case I jinx it though! Really really want to go to BG! I have an offer for Education Studies at derby and psychology and educational development at Notts Trent but of course I'll need to get on a pgce and I just want to get to the teaching part of my life! Plus it will be twice as hard to get on to a pgce course!

The anxiety of finding out if I got a place is killing me!! Lol x

You are right!! I rem the anxiety well, you will know soon enough...keep checking :-) ps rem if u dont get on this year could always re apply next year xx
Reply 15
You are right!! I rem the anxiety well, you will know soon enough...keep checking :-) ps rem if u dont get on this year could always re apply next year xx

True but I don't know what I'd do for a year! lol :smile: I'll let you know when I hear! xx

Quick Reply