The Student Room Group

If everyone supported their local team...

...which club would have the most fans?

No Manchester United fans from Surrey.

No Manchester City fans from Stockport.

No Liverpool fans from Tranmere.

No Arsenal fans from Watford.

No Villa fans from Walsall.

No Wolves fans from Shrewsbury.

etc

which club would have the most fans?

Scroll to see replies

One of the London clubs obviously.

But how far do you take it?
Do you include tiny sunday league teams?
What about non league teams?
Should I support Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City FC?
Should someone living in Cardiff support Cardiff Draconians F.C instead of Cardiff City FC?
Reply 2
Original post by WelshBluebird
One of the London clubs obviously.

But how far do you take it?
Do you include tiny sunday league teams?
What about non league teams?
Should I support Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City FC?
Should someone living in Cardiff support Cardiff Draconians F.C instead of Cardiff City FC?

Not necessarily.

There are 14 teams in London.

So you would have no Arsenal fans from South London.

Chelsea fans would only come from West London etc.

Local professional team.
F.C. Tokyo

...obviously
Reply 4
Original post by michaelhaych
F.C. Tokyo

...obviously

hahahahahaha that was just as funny as it sounded in your head LOL ROFL PMSL
The biggest City with the fewest football teams obviously. Maybe Newcastle or Leeds, somewhere like that.
Reply 6
Define local in terms of the radius from a team's ground.
Newcastle would still have a lot imo.
OP I'd suggest you define this as Prem and Football League clubs.

In which case Leeds would be up there.
Reply 9
Coventry maybe?
Reply 10
The likes of Liverpool and Man Utd won't have a big fanbase as they do right now, that's for sure.
It'd probably be a team from a large, remote town/city. They'd have all the footy fans from that town/city plus from smaller, surrounding towns and villages. Maybe somewhere in wales/scotland then as they've got hardly any professional teams cos rugby is more popular than it is in England.

I dunno how far other teams are spread out in England but I know that Norwich City is about 45-50 miles from the nearest other professional football team :dontknow: So they'd have probably everyone from Norfolk plus quite a few from Suffolk.

PLUS OP, does this assume that eevryone that likes football supports said teams OR that the whole population of the town/city supports them?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lol_this
The likes of Liverpool and Man Utd won't have a big fanbase as they do right now, that's for sure.

That depends, whether you're counting international fanbase as well, or just in England.
Original post by Clare~Bear

I dunno how far other teams are spread out in England but I know that Norwich City is about 45-50 miles from the nearest other professional football team :dontknow: So they'd have probably everyone from Norfolk plus quite a few from Suffolk.

True, but remember that in between are places like Diss etc, where like 12 people live.
Original post by justinawe
That depends, whether you're counting international fanbase as well, or just in England.

Even if it's just England her point still stands since United and Liverpool etc have most of their fan base in places like Surrey etc.
Population density of uk. Now to find the football teams, find the dividing lines between each boundary and perform a line integral with respect to the population density. Simple.

populationmaps1.jpg

Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in the Uk and to my knowledge only has a few professional football clubs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
True, but remember that in between are places like Diss etc, where like 12 people live.

But then there's large town such as Great Yarmouth (~47300), kings lynn (~34500), Lowestoft (~64000) . . . according to google anyways and all of them would be added to Norwich . . .
Original post by k9markiii
Population density of uk. Now to find the football teams, find the dividing lines between each boundary and perform a line integral with respect to the population density. Simple.

populationmaps1.jpg

If you say so, you'd better get cracking, you better have the answer by the end of the day else I won't be able to sleep tonight :tongue: I'm not even sure if I can even work out which dot I live in! And I do a-level geography! So how're meant to work out which dot the teams are in? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
But then there's large town such as Great Yarmouth (~47300), kings lynn (~34500), Lowestoft (~64000) . . . according to google anyways and all of them would be added to Norwich . . .

Fair enough on your point, but Kings Lynn would be Peterborough.
Reply 19
Every team should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

The number of Man U fans suggest it is all about glory.

Quick Reply