The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Car0llle
However, note that the deadline for the unies to answer is the end of March.

No its not, that's just a polite request from UCAS that they aim to try and reply to people by the end of March. Nothing will happen if your university doesn't reply by the end of March as the actual deadline is May. If you haven't had a reply by May 9th then you will be automatically rejected by UCAS. A lot of the popular universities carry on making offers into April and May every year with zero intention of ever meeting the UCAS request date.

Original post by Cbaines10
Im still waiting to hear from Sussex Uni and Keele Uni. I havent heard a thing from them since I set my UCAS in January - Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting to hear from them and if this is normal?

Yes its normal, yes other people will still be waiting. They have until May to reply to you so you just need to wait - some universities don't send anything at all to applicants until they communicate a decision.
I am still waiting for an offer from Hertfordshire, but have my offer from sussex.

Glad its not just me waiting...
Reply 4202
Original post by Juno
The deadline for adding choices for equal consideration has passed. Any courses you add now do not have to consider you. However, you have until June 30th to actually add a choice - but email first to find out if there is any point.

Reply 4203
do universities send out offers or rejections first?
Reply 4204
or more specifically, my uni interviewed everyone before replying (it's been a month since my interview, they finished last week). and are now beginning to reply as of wednesday and I know about 5 girls to get an offer and I haven't heard anything?
Reply 4205
finally have an interview with Westminster...no word from Middlesex...been accepted into my other choices tho...The wait is painful :\
Reply 4206
Original post by Dscott
or more specifically, my uni interviewed everyone before replying (it's been a month since my interview, they finished last week). and are now beginning to reply as of wednesday and I know about 5 girls to get an offer and I haven't heard anything?

They can do it in any order they wish. My sister's uni sent out exam results in order of how far you lived from the uni once.
Original post by Cbaines10
Im still waiting to hear from Sussex Uni and Keele Uni. I havent heard a thing from them since I set my UCAS in January - Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting to hear from them and if this is normal?

Thanks x
I applied in November still nothing from Sussex.:frown:
Original post by oxymoronic
No its not, that's just a polite request from UCAS that they aim to try and reply to people by the end of March. Nothing will happen if your university doesn't reply by the end of March as the actual deadline is May. If you haven't had a reply by May 9th then you will be automatically rejected by UCAS. A lot of the popular universities carry on making offers into April and May every year with zero intention of ever meeting the UCAS request date.

Oh gosh, I thought they had to reply by March 21st, and now I'm super depressed. It's been four months, I can't take the waiting anymore :s-smilie:. Seriously considering withdrawing my application now.
Original post by welshyelmo
Oh gosh, I thought they had to reply by March 21st, and now I'm super depressed. It's been four months, I can't take the waiting anymore :s-smilie:. Seriously considering withdrawing my application now.

I have to ask, where on earth did you get that date from? 21st? I had been living with the 31st until I read the dates more carefully like a month ago. :smile:

These are the correct dates.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
These are the correct dates.

Noted :smile: Thanks!

Original post by FinnLassie
I have to ask, where on earth did you get that date from? 21st? I had been living with the 31st until I read the dates more carefully like a month ago. :smile:

Honestly, I have no idea. I must have misread the 31st months ago and then just stuck to it ever since. No one ever corrected me (not even my teachers:eek:) so I just sorta stuck with it. And now I feel terrible because I've been telling people it's the 21st and that's not even remotely true.

Noted :smile: Thanks!

Honestly, I have no idea. I must have misread the 31st months ago and then just stuck to it ever since. No one ever corrected me (not even my teachers:eek:) so I just sorta stuck with it. And now I feel terrible because I've been telling people it's the 21st and that's not even remotely true.

Don't fret. It's a stressful time and it sometimes seems that negotiating the hurdles of the UCAS application is more of a test than doing A levels.
Hmm just one more to get. It's a potential insurance choice as well(Glasgow).

Hopefully I get an answer by the applicants day next Tuesday.

I used to do this a lot, especially when it was about something big and tad stressful! I think after I almost missed out some really important exams due to my own misunderstandings I started to double check dates.
Still need replies from Bristol and Durham! I know loads of people who have been/are going to post-offer visit days there. It's so annoying. :frown:
Reply 4216
I still have a few universities to hear from. My mum is starting to ask me about it which is making me even more nervous! Goodness me, some universities like to take their time...
Reply 4217
1 Unconditional :smile:
3 Unsuccesful (2 Unis), :frown:
1 Hasn't responded yet.

Kinda annoyed about the one that hasn't responded, i wish they would just get it over with, it is pretty much settled that i'm going to the one that gave me the unconditionial.

Is there a deadline on when i have to firm my offer? i don't want to suddenly be shut out of my one offer because of a uni taking a long time to respond.
Original post by Karism
1 Unconditional :smile:
3 Unsuccesful (2 Unis), :frown:
1 Hasn't responded yet.

Kinda annoyed about the one that hasn't responded, i wish they would just get it over with, it is pretty much settled that i'm going to the one that gave me the unconditionial.

Is there a deadline on when i have to firm my offer? i don't want to suddenly be shut out of my one offer because of a uni taking a long time to respond.

When you have received all of your decisions you will get a personal deadline on track.
If your last choice replies to you before 31st March then your deadline will be in May and if they take longer than March (they have until May to reply to you) then your deadline will be June. Check track for the exact dates.
Reply 4219
Original post by oxymoronic
When you have received all of your decisions you will get a personal deadline on track.
If your last choice replies to you before 31st March then your deadline will be in May and if they take longer than March (they have until May to reply to you) then your deadline will be June. Check track for the exact dates.

Thanks for this. What if a person declines the balance choice.. What would be deadline then?

What exactly does firming/insurance mean? For example, if an applicant firms college X and insurances college Y Then, is it possible to decide to go to another college in another country, say in US or any other country later on? In that case, what is the procedure to be followed to withdraw the firm/insurance choices? Also, does any payment need to be done upfront while firming/insuring?

In short is it ever possible to withdraw from the firm/insurance choices at a later stage?

Thank you

Quick Reply