The Student Room Group

Should I do 3 or 4 A2s next year

I am trying to get into CompSci at Cambridge and I don't know whether to do 3 or 4 A2s next year. I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics and if I did drop one it would be Electronics due to it being considered a "lesser A level" than the first three. In my recent results for Maths, Further and Physics I got over 90% on all of them so I am not struggling at the moment but I am still unsure because lots of people say the pressure gets harder next year and I am taking hard A levels and am trying to reach As and A*s. My tutor recommended that I do 4 to get have a better chance at Cambdrige but the rest of the 6th Form says the generic "take 3 A2s because it's harder next year".

So, any help or advice on what should I do?
Reply 1
If you're on point at AS, A2 will be a breeze. If you only need 3 to get in, then I don't see the point of doing 4, especially if you said they see it as soft. However, if you feel you can do it, then go for it. I'm sure you can drop it if you find the pressure too much, thats what a few people at my 6th form did.
Reply 2
Personally I would do 3, to ensure I got the highest grades possible, but I would speak to your teachers and see if both you, and they think you can cope with the workload? If you both think you can do it then you could do the 4 ^^
Reply 3
Original post by Loulybob
I am trying to get into CompSci at Cambridge and I don't know whether to do 3 or 4 A2s next year. I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics and if I did drop one it would be Electronics due to it being considered a "lesser A level" than the first three. In my recent results for Maths, Further and Physics I got over 90% on all of them so I am not struggling at the moment but I am still unsure because lots of people say the pressure gets harder next year and I am taking hard A levels and am trying to reach As and A*s. My tutor recommended that I do 4 to get have a better chance at Cambdrige but the rest of the 6th Form says the generic "take 3 A2s because it's harder next year".

Drop Electronics because it will be hard to do 4A2s and Electronics isn't that highly regarded,which is acceptable as a fourth AS level but nothing really more.If you'd took 4 academically tough subjects then I'd advise you to take all 4 to A2 because Oxbridge competition can be quite tough but because you didn't take 4 academically rigorous subjects I would advise you to only take 3 to A2 and focus on them and put the star on the top of the A for all of them-you can do it!!!
It doesn't matter how many A-Levels you get; you just need to achieve good marks on the ones that are required for the course. For Computer Science at Cambridge, it is essential to have Maths for A-Level and it would be desired if you did Further Maths or Physics :smile:
Take 4 from the start, see how you manage the workload.
The second it gets tough/ you need more time drop Electronics.
Reply 6

Some universities don't accept further maths in conjunction with maths if they form 2 out of the 3 A levels the applicant is taking. You might want to look into that for Cambridge and other universities you are thinking of applying to, before you drop anything.
3 . . . if the requirement is 3, why not get the highest 3 possible instead of a good 4?
Original post by Dalek1099
Drop Electronics because it will be hard to do 4A2s and Electronics isn't that highly regarded,which is acceptable as a fourth AS level but nothing really more.If you'd took 4 academically tough subjects then I'd advise you to take all 4 to A2 because Oxbridge competition can be quite tough but because you didn't take 4 academically rigorous subjects I would advise you to only take 3 to A2 and focus on them and put the star on the top of the A for all of them-you can do it!!!

Please tell me more about how you're an expert when you've yet to finish your GCSEs

Spoiler

OP, honestly, you don't need 4 A-levels, how you perform on the interview matters so much more, you already have 3 rigorous subjects - make sure you score as highly as you can on your AS and drop it electronics. Alternatively, if you enjoyed it, try 4 A2s at the beginning and see the work load, if you think you can manage it, go for it :smile:
Reply 9
I kept my 4 a levels for both years (I'm in year 13 now) and I haven't found it any harder. Okay so it means that I have a larger workload than my friends, but I was in the position that I didn't know what I wanted to drop. You seem to be coping really well with as so I'd give 4 a go at a2 and always drop it :smile: I found with other people in my school they tried the 4 for the start of the year and then dropped one if they found it was just too much!
Original post by Fuzzy12345
Please tell me more about how you're an expert when you've yet to finish your GCSEs

Spoiler

Slightly ironic for an IB student to be saying that in a thread about A levels...
Reply 11

Do 4.

Too hard?
Back out. (Electronics).

Quick Reply

Latest