The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

can we include epq meetings in our bacc diary?
Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing an EPQ but I have stalled on ideas for a title.
I was thinking of doing it on airports/travel but cannot think of a direct line to go down,

Any ideas would be appreciated :smile:
Just do what you're most interested, all that matters at the end of the day is the grade and you're most likely to get a good grade if you do what you're interested.

You don't need to link the two
Hi guys,

In the summer I'm going on a school trip to a small town in Tanzania for a month to help renovate some classrooms in a school, teach a few lessons and also get an insight into their way of life/culture etc.

I'm thinking I'd like to do an EPQ on something to do with Tanzanian/African economics and development.

I'm thinking perhaps a comparison between the economies, or maybe a comparison between our education systems, but to be honest would like to do something a little more outside the box.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what kind of investigation I could do?
Hopefully will be doing an EPQ, but have to apply as its over-subscribed at my school.
In the application you have to propose an essay title, and I am really stuck for ideas.
Im going to do history at Uni, so I think it should be on a historical topic.
Obviously, I dont want to do WW1, WW2, Russia (Cold War and Revolution) as they are all on my school syllabus, and would like to do something "unique" but researchable.
Anyone got any interesting historical topics to suggest? Thanks in advance!
Reply 2745
The 'short' life of Napoleon - A Biography
Don't do it on the creation/evolution controversy, its too hard to answer so i lost a grade and got a B.

Do it on something you are actually interested in though because you have to stick it out for a whole year completely independently and need the motivation.

it doesn't even have to be related to your subjects, the only thing epq is useful for is to say that you can work independently etc. in your personal statement.
Do it on something that interests you, my tutors have constantly changed my title and instead of doing something that was going to look at culture I am now doing something about Serial killers. After my tutor changed it to politics, religion, literature, tv and now Serial Killers not even sure how it got to this point considering my first essay proposal was 'Just how has the Iranian Revolution influenced the culture of modern day Iran.' and now it's supposed to be 'Serial Killers in popular culture including TV,film and music.'
Reply 2748
The war of the roses is fairly intriguing and chances are no one else will have chosen it :smile:
Oh, either that or The war of Jenkins ear.

Just remember: Not all of history is a war.
In Scotland, for our last year studies we have to do EPQs for History, English amongst other subjects (whichever you choose). My History one was 4000 words long whilst the English one was 4500 words long.

The thing is, I chose my History one on a reasonably interesting topic, To what extent was the Treaty of Versailles an impossible burden on the Weimar Republic?, whilst my English one was incredibly ambitious, To what extent are the poets T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound and E. E. Cummings true modernists?

I regretted my English one. The topic was incredibly difficult - I couldn't even define 'modernism'. I only did it because I was a huge fan of T.S. Eliot and his modernist poetry; however, at the end my love for it had died out and it could honestly be seen in my essay. As a result, I think that I'll get a really, really low mark (probably a C if not a B). It's definitely not the A that I wanted. However, my History one wasn't on something I was outrageously interested in, but I knew that it was a very, very doable topic, and I knew that my teacher had LOADS of things on it. It was definitely a much better choice - I flew through it.

What I'm saying is, with this type of research being so small and unimportant in your academic career, try to do something interesting yet convenient/doable/easier. At the end of the day, you want a good mark, and I'm not saying for you to cop out; just remember that you can do what you really want (to change the world if you like :wink: ) when you really can. Not now. It wasn't for me any ways. A teacher of mine told me that whenever he tried to be too ambitious and went over what was required he got a bad mark; whereas, something simple and catered around the level did significantly better. What I'm saying is, try to do something that you're interested in, but, especially, something you know that you can definitely do.
Original post by lucy_woopx
Hi, I'm considering doing Business and/or Geography at Uni, so I'm going to base my EPQ on this, I just can't think of any topic for it, any ideas? I kind of want to link the two together, but if not I'll focus on business :smile:

Well, economics geography? It's a pretty big field, I'm sure you could find something there to your fancy. Have a look at economics & geography degrees for more specific fields. You could do something about the environment, globalisation, development businesses and their role in expunging poverty etc. - I dunno, just some ideas...hope it helps :smile:
Doing an EPQ after exams (so mid-June onwards). I'd like to do Philosophy and Economics at Uni, but I only study Economics at A-Level. I've read a fair few introductory philosophical texts but I think an EPQ would be a great opportunity to demonstrate my enthusiasm for the field.

Any particular suggestions for my topic? Atm, I'm thinking linguistic philosophy, or maybe something about paternalism (tying together behavioural economics and political philosophy), or something about happiness vs. success (how we should measure success in terms of happiness, rather than the converse). All suggestions welcome, thanks :smile:
I start College in September (Like 99% of people) :P I will be 19 and re-doing my A-levels as I had to leave college early previously which sucked.

Basically, as I don't wish to do an EPQ while there as volunteering/job/A levels is enough, would it be possible to do the EPQ now basically. At least write the essay and work on it until college, then enter finalize the details on it, then hand it in? They won't know when it was written will they... :s-smilie:
Original post by JamesPointing
I start College in September (Like 99% of people) :P I will be 19 and re-doing my A-levels as I had to leave college early previously which sucked.

Basically, as I don't wish to do an EPQ while there as volunteering/job/A levels is enough, would it be possible to do the EPQ now basically. At least write the essay and work on it until college, then enter finalize the details on it, then hand it in? They won't know when it was written will they... :s-smilie:

You could do but you will have to meet up with tutor and go to meetings so will bring it at chunks at a time. Then at the end make up a load of stuff about time keeping and organisation for your project log and presentation.
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Well, economics geography? It's a pretty big field, I'm sure you could find something there to your fancy. Have a look at economics & geography degrees for more specific fields. You could do something about the environment, globalisation, development businesses and their role in expunging poverty etc. - I dunno, just some ideas...hope it helps :smile:

Thankyou :smile: This inspired me aha :smile: I think i'm going to do something about the environmental and economic impacts of the 2012 olympics.. :smile:
For my Extended Project I'm using the title 'How Do Different Generations Perceive Bipolar Disorder?'
However our EPQ group is seven people (staff and myself included,) so I was wondering if anyone who sees this would be able to complete this survey, it will be very much appreciated! :smile:

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L8V8M6P">Click here to take survey</a>
Original post by MissBlueskys
You could do but you will have to meet up with tutor and go to meetings so will bring it at chunks at a time. Then at the end make up a load of stuff about time keeping and organisation for your project log and presentation.

Cheers, sounds good to me :biggrin:
For my Extended Project I'm using the title 'How Do Different Generations Perceive Bipolar Disorder?'
However our EPQ group is seven people (staff and myself included,) so I was wondering if anyone who sees this would be able to complete this survey, it will be very much appreciated! :smile:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L8V8M6P

(my appologies for second post, the link didn't work first time around...)
Finally finished my EPQ and handed it all, log book, dissertation etc, in on Friday.... the relief is unbelievable! :biggrin:
I've just finished my EPQ and i've been looking at university course entry requirements, and i suddenly wondered - does the EPQ count as a full a-level?

i.e. if my course requirements are ABB, and i get an A in my EPQ, will I only need 2 Bs in my exams?

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest