The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

It's a compelling thing to do for the lazy, but not irresistible, ultimately it's a choice so should be kept in games!
I feel it depends highly on the size of the game world - some games half the fun is in the journey, Red Dead Redemption comes to mind as a place where I'd often actively avoid fast travelling, but then one end of the game-world to the other could be done in the space of a few tens of minutes, less than 12 in-game hours.

I think if the game is sufficiently large, the RDR option of being able to take rides between major towns is a good one - you can enjoy the whole journey, or you can "sleep" and skip to the end. But you still only go to major hubs, not to as close to your destination as Skyrim lets you.

I also think with any fast-travel there should be the possibility of being woken up not on arrival, but by an ambush or event of sots. (A broken bridge would do just as well, forcing you to get out and cross the river some other way and continue on foot)

Sure, it makes things slower, but also more interesting.

I've heard the complete lack of fast-travel in Dragon's Dogma actually rather adds to the game-play, as long journeys can become an attrition.

Of course, there's always the view that fast-travel options don't have to be used - you could just walk the whole way, it's allowing the player to play how they want to be. But you do feel at times the game has been built a bit around having them in, expecting that the player will always use them. And they can feel a bit out-of-game experiences, as if they're an old testing shortcut rather than really built into the game.
Original post by The Mr Z
Of course, there's always the view that fast-travel options don't have to be used - you could just walk the whole way, it's allowing the player to play how they want to be. But you do feel at times the game has been built a bit around having them in, expecting that the player will always use them. And they can feel a bit out-of-game experiences, as if they're an old testing shortcut rather than really built into the game.

I agree but it's always tempting. Even if we could turn it off at the start of the game, so you would need to start a new save to turn it on or something.
Original post by Andy Denyer
Anyone seen the new mounted combat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEyDz38yGYI

I don't like it I can't attack anyone :frown: Shadowmere just spazzes around for me ¬¬
In a giant sandbox, you absolutely need fast-travel. One of the things I absolutely hated about Morrowind was no fast-travel. However, it needs to be implemented much more creatively. For instance, if it were a sci-fi game they could create a portable device which allows the character to fast-travel and they could even build that into the narrative. Also, maybe fast-travelling enables certain events that can only be activated when you fast-travel -- sorta the opposite of a random on-foot encounter.
(edited 11 years ago)
It should be a choice, not taken out!

If you're being tempted by it, it's because you find it a preferable option at the time. ^.^;

If you really want to travel the mundane trek over and over and over again between towns, then you can still do that... but really, it gets old after you've travelled across the same section of land fifty times previously because of all the fetch quests!

Even in Morrowind, I ended up using console commands to teleport to towns, because loading up the game, and spending 20 minutes just to walk along a linear path getting attacked by cliff racers every fifteen seconds wasn't fun at all!
It should certainly be an option, it's a damn sight better to have and not need than to need and not have! I quite like cross-country jaunts once in a while, but for menial tasks I'd rather not have to track across the entire map to go and fetch something for someone.
Original post by JordanS94
I don't like it I can't attack anyone :frown: Shadowmere just spazzes around for me ¬¬

Probably because it's still in beta.
Probably because it's still in beta.

but I got the update this morning :s-smilie:
Does anyone know if Shadowmere regenerates? I went into the shrine near Dawnstar to deactivate the nightmare thing (I'm not a hardcore player, ok? :p:) ... and came out to find that Shadowmere had been killed by the bears that attacked (I was a coward and hid in the shrine, I assumed Shadowmere would stop trying to defend my honour at this point.) :sad:

I carried on playing, but it just doesn't feel the same. I haven't done that much more since, so I could reload a save before that point, be brave and defeat the bears first and not lose much progress, but that's obviously pointless if Shadowmere'll come back anyway.
Original post by TheSownRose
Does anyone know if Shadowmere regenerates? I went into the shrine near Dawnstar to deactivate the nightmare thing (I'm not a hardcore player, ok? :p:) ... and came out to find that Shadowmere had been killed by the bears that attacked (I was a coward and hid in the shrine, I assumed Shadowmere would stop trying to defend my honour at this point.) :sad:

I carried on playing, but it just doesn't feel the same. I haven't done that much more since, so I could reload a save before that point, be brave and defeat the bears first and not lose much progress, but that's obviously pointless if Shadowmere'll come back anyway.

yeah he will :smile: I lost him for 3 months :frown: I forgot where he died :lol: I came across him 2 days ago :biggrin: ... He was on an iceberg I have no idea how I got him on there :lol:

does anyone know how to open the glass claw door, I've had the claw for so long now and the door still wont open. It's starting to **** me off ¬¬ I would have though they would have fixed it after 7 months :angry:
yeah he will :smile: I lost him for 3 months :frown: I forgot where he died :lol: I came across him 2 days ago :biggrin: ... He was on an iceberg I have no idea how I got him on there :lol:

does anyone know how to open the glass claw door, I've had the claw for so long now and the door still wont open. It's starting to **** me off ¬¬ I would have though they would have fixed it after 7 months :angry:

There should be a console command for PC players.... Check the UESP.
but I got the update this morning :s-smilie:

Oh, are you a 360 player?
Oh, are you a 360 player?

yeah :smile:
I came across some hunters north of Riften, bathing in the water. It was so random, and I was being chased by a bear at the time. They just continued soaking up the beautiful weather while watching me get slaughtered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by velvetbrain
I came across some hunters north of Riften, bathing in the water. It was so random, and I was being chase by a bear at the time. They just continued soaking up the beautiful weather while watching me get slaughtered.

hahaha they did that to me so I took their clothes :biggrin:
hahaha they did that to me so I took their clothes :biggrin:

Haha, one guy's clothes were in the water right next to him :P

Have you encountered a ghostly figure who roams the roads? It sort of looks like the forlorn watchman from Oblivion, it's either a horse, or a guy on a horse. It's quite strange.
Original post by velvetbrain
Haha, one guy's clothes were in the water right next to him :P

Have you encountered a ghostly figure who roams the roads? It sort of looks like the forlorn watchman from Oblivion, it's either a horse, or a guy on a horse. It's quite strange.

No... There is one? :biggrin: I'm going to search for him later :biggrin:

I always seem to run into the lying khajiit
No... There is one? :biggrin: I'm going to search for him later :biggrin:

I always seem to run into the lying khajiit

Just this second ago I found him again, and I followed him. He led me to a grave yard. The figure on the horse didn't have a head, so I thought it was some sort of reference to the Sleepy Hollow. It also had an axe, and by one of the graves is an axe.

This is creepy.
Just started the Dawnguard Museum quest.

Quick Reply

Latest