The Student Room Group

Politics or Further Maths for Economics Degree?

I've just finished my GCSE exams and I'm hoping to get an A* in Maths. I want to do a degree in Economics at uni and my current A level choices are Maths, History, Economics and AS Politics, but today I went along to a taster session of Further Maths and I liked it. I've a feeling that Further Maths is a more useful AS level than Politics but I'm not sure, especially since I think I could do very well at Politics.

Which AS level should I choose, Politics or Further Maths?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Take five? Or just take further maths, it's a worthwhile course and if you get an A* at GCSE you'll probably be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Further maths is hard but (depending on where you do the course) economics is a VERY mathematical subject so it will help you in the long run. Its also more respected than politics. However, politics will also be relevant. Its up to you but further maths would be my choice.

I did maths, economics and history at A-Level and started on an Economics and Politics degree and found that although I got my A in maths, I wasn't up to scratch for economics so I changed degrees. I don't really like maths though so that was a major reason for my changing degrees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Generally, I would always advise Further Maths for people wanting to do Economics at university, but I know there are some courses that are less mathematical for which it might not be too useful. Politics is good as well but you already have History so I'm not sure how much you'd really gain from it. The best solution would be to do both if you can handle it and it won't adversely affect your grades overall.
Reply 4
Go for further maths, especially if you are looking to apply to the top universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Bracket
I've just finished my GCSE exams and I'm hoping to get an A* in Maths. I want to do a degree in Economics at uni and my current A level choices are Maths, History, Economics and AS Politics, but today I went along to a taster session of Further Maths and I liked it. I've a feeling that Further Maths is a more useful AS level than Politics but I'm not sure, especially since I think I could do very well at Politics.

Which AS level should I choose, Politics or Further Maths?

Pick Further Maths. I had the same choice, Politics vs. Further Maths and I chose Further Maths and have not looked back at all. It's been fun (as fun as work can be) and I do not regret taking it at all. History, Economics and Politics would probably have been too essay heavy. History, Economics, Maths and Further Maths provided the perfect balance.
Reply 6
Take further. That is all.

Quick Reply

Latest