The Student Room Group

overtime

Do you have the right to refuse/decline any offers to do overtime?

The reason why I am asking this is that I am due to start university in September and I have got this part time job at sainsbury's where I work Fridays/Saturdays so I am worried I might be asked to do overtime during weekdays when i have Lectures to attend to:smile:

I don't want to lose this job:frown:

This was posted from Nexus 7 using Google Chrome
(edited 11 years ago)
As long as it isn't part of your contract I believe you can refuse.
They'd have a hard time justifying your dismissal in front of a tribunal.
Reply 3
some employers can be real bullies, but if it's not contracted, you can say no. I understand though, you don't want to get fired. Perhaps try and do some of the overtime offered when you can, to get em off your back. But yep, they shouldn't really be allowed to fire you.
Why not talk to your management? If you tell them what is happening and that, once you see your timetable, you might be available for work at other times, then you are going to them with a plan. It helps them with staff availability in the future and might see you with overtime when you can actually do it.
Reply 5
You can refuse, but generally employers like people who help them out. So if you want time off at short notice, or to change a shift etc then you might find that they're less willing to bend the rules for you
Reply 6
From what I believe, overtime isn't compulsory. You may have to do some overtime every now and then depending on situations with your employer.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yeah you absolutely have the right to decline. You signed a contract saying you'd work x amount of hours and it's up to the employer to ensure that the workplace is properly staffed when you're not there. Sure it's nice to be a team player and make some extra cash but if you can't then your employer shouldn't put any pressure on you to do so.

Have a word with your line manager about it, let them know your situation and if it causes friction, refer back to your contract :smile:
Reply 8
Overtime is voluntary. You won't lose your job because you don't want to do overtime!
I was the only member of staff who did overtime where I worked, the other staff didn't want it.
Surely there's at least one person who is willing to cover extra shifts.
You absolutely have to work your contract hours; you don't absolutely have to work overtime.
Managers like the brown-nosers: those who always do everything/anything they want without question.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies guys! You've put my mind at ease:tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by ProStacker
Why not talk to your management? If you tell them what is happening and that, once you see your timetable, you might be available for work at other times, then you are going to them with a plan. It helps them with staff availability in the future and might see you with overtime when you can actually do it.

Sounds like a plan:biggrin:. Cheers:wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Llamageddon
They'd have a hard time justifying your dismissal in front of a tribunal.

Thank god for the tribunal :biggrin: but I hope that won't be necessary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending