The Student Room Group

Did I give myself a concussion?

Last night I woke up when I smashed my head into the wall by my bed. It really really hurt but I went back to sleep. This morning I couldn't get out of bed it hurt so much. I've spent the whole day in bed in agony and I feel really sick and dizzy. If I open the blinds in my room the sun was way too bright and made my head hurt more.

My girlfriend tells me she thinks I gave myself a concussion, I think this is probably an overreaction. Does anynoe know about concussions? Does this sound like one?

What should I do? My head is still killing me, I still feel dizzy and sick. I took 3 ibuprofen but that doesn't seem to have helped at all.
Your symptoms are typical of those of a concussion. If I were you'd I'd go to an out of hours GP or A&E if one isn't available. It can be dangerous sleeping while concussed so its best to see a doctor.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by heythere247
Your symptoms are typical of those of a concussion. If I were you'd I'd go to an out of hours GP or A&E if one isn't available. It can be dangerous sleeping while concussed so its best to see a doctor.

I live in the US so seeing a doctor is going to be like 300 bucks; is there actually anything a doctor can do other than say "yep concussion"? My head is still absolutely killing, I still feel really dizzy and sick and painkillers don't seem to be helping.

Do you know how long the headache and stuff is likely to last?
Here is some medical advice provided by the NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Concussion/Pages/Treatment.aspx

But I still implore you to seek medical attention you may need further treatment. Do you not have insurance?

I've had concussion very recently. If you had any white fluid coming from your nose or ears, get medical attention IMMEDIATELY.

If you feel sick, are hearing things louder than usual, have a constant headache, have a sore, sensitive patch on your head, are a bit grumpy, and are tired/have low concentration levels, you probably have concussion.

Quote me if you have any other questions.

I hope you feel better - concussion is AWFUL.

And stop taking painkillers, especially because you're not sure what it is. Just wait for the pain to go. I went three weeks with concussion with no medication - painful, but recommended by my doctor because it's safer.

Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I live in the US so seeing a doctor is going to be like 300 bucks; is there actually anything a doctor can do other than say "yep concussion"? My head is still absolutely killing, I still feel really dizzy and sick and painkillers don't seem to be helping.

Do you know how long the headache and stuff is likely to last?

It is disgraceful that you have to pay that amount of money to see a doctor in the US. It should be a basic human right to have free access to health-care. Head injuries should be taken seriously.
Reply 7
I don't know who went on a neg rampage here but it wasn't me. I appreciate any and all advice people can give. :smile:

So it's now 4 days since I banged my head; went to the mall today and after about 2 hours started feeling very dizzy and sick and my head hurt again a lot; had to sit down. Anyone know if this is normal to happen for so long after? This is the first day I've left the house or been online or watched tv or anything, I read that you're meant to rest but this is kind of lame how long it's lasting, is that normal?

I've got a sports game tomorrow and wondering whether I should play - it's a contact sport but I generally avoid hits to the head anyway, don't want to let the team down but also don't want to make things worse/get dizzy and fall over. Any advice? Sorry, I know I should see a doctor really but tbh I can't afford it. :colondollar:
Don't play the sport! If you felt dizzy going to the mall then clearly you're still concussed (or sill have whatever problem it is you have) then I don't think you're gonna be able to deal with running around for a couple of hours. You'll only be putting yourself at risk and if you feel unwell you won't be playing to your best abilities anyway :smile: I'm sure the team will understand.

And seriously so glad I live in a country with the NHS!!!

I hope this goes away for you soon, OP. Concussion is terrible! I know it's boring but just stay in bed until you feel ok again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest