The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
I just wanted to ask something about David Horn House. It is one monstrously big house or several houses ?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
ssabev
I just wanted to ask something about David Horn House. It is one monstrously big house or several houses ?

I suppose it's something similar to Kitcheners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAgSWzdEH4 Maybe this vid will help somehow xD

btw, seen you on fb!:wink:
Reply 1142
Grant House anyone? Thats where il be next year! :smile: xx
11 Robertson's Close Flat 9? Also Ancient Mediterranean Studies? Anyone??? :smile: x
i was wondering, are we allowed overnight guests to stay in our self catered flats? im from ireland and would like a friend to come stay during the year if it is possible
nicoleaic
i was wondering, are we allowed overnight guests to stay in our self catered flats? im from ireland and would like a friend to come stay during the year if it is possible

I think the general rule is yes, but don't piss off your flatmates. :p: I think there is a limit on how many nights they can stay at a time (four?) but I wouldn't imagine anyone would be checking.
.:aimee:.
I think the general rule is yes, but don't piss off your flatmates. :p: I think there is a limit on how many nights they can stay at a time (four?) but I wouldn't imagine anyone would be checking.

Yeah, nobody checks. A flatmate of mine had her boyfriend stay for a week and nothing happened. I'm not sure about Pollock, but in self-catered flats you don't even have to register the guest as staying in your room.

I should mention that that's based solely on Robertson's Close experience. Also, people can sleep on the couches in the kitchen. I forgot to mention this in my original rant about Robertson's, but, the couches are unbelievably horrible. You get two (at least flats 8 and 7 did, refer to my previous post in this thread if you desperately want to know how many couches you'll have), and they each seat 2 comfortably, 3 if necessary. If you push them both together they make a reasonably comfortable seat for one person, but you have to be either locked out of your own flat or drunk to sleep on one of them. Not just "teehee, I nearly used the wrong key to get in" drunk, full on "wait... what year is it?" drunk. If you go for the kitchen, prepare to be brought out of your light slumber by a flatmate coming into the kitchen in a morning-zombie state, turning on the light, saying "oh, sorry", then exiting. Consider that the smallest flats at Robertson's hold four people, each person will do the same thing. In short, unless it can't be avoided, go home instead of sleeping on someone else in Robertson's couch.

Diagram time! Seeing as I just spoke about kitchens, I'm assuming everyone's at least a little curious about what they're laid out like. Here's what flats 2, 5, 8, and 11 in block 9 are like: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8002/fl89rckitch.jpg . Sorry for how terrible a sketch it is, to be honest I lost interest halfway through.

Anyway, enough about kitchens. I noticed that somebody posted about putting up posters in the flat. Guidelines insist that you use thumb tacks. If you use blu-tack, the worst that will happen is you'll get a note on your flat inspection summary sheet that says "please use thumb tacks instead of blu-tack for your posters". Unless you damage the walls in a serious way, I doubt anything will happen.

A quick note about smoking. I can't incriminate myself, because my username is very close to my actual name, so let's say this is for conversation's sake. Hypothetically, if all of your flatmates smoke, designate the kitchen as a smoking room. Leave the window open when anyone's smoking, if you do so the fire alarm won't pick up cigarette or shisha smoke. Similar types of smoke are fine too, if you catch my drift. However, I've never seen anyone smoke a cigar at Robertson's, so don't be the first to discover that their richer smoke sets of the alarms. Of course I wouldn't recommend smoking in your flat, and have never done so myself. But, for the sake of conversation, if you were to blitz the place with air freshener and Febreeze before a flat inspection, I'd expect that the inspector wouldn't note the smell of smoke on the official record. Purely as a hypothetical, let's say you were away for a week during which a flat inspection took place, and you'd left an ashtray full of butts on the desk in your room. All that would happen would be a note on the inspection report under your room's section that said "NO SMOKING IN THE FLATS!!". It would most likely never be followed up, and no fine would be incurred.

Well, I'm quite tired now, so if you're interested in unnecessary detail about Robertson's Close expect more tomorrow.
I'm thinking of bringing my XBox to Edinburgh. Does anyone know if the residences have TVs, or what is a good UK equivalent to craigslist where I might find one for sale cheap? I'm in Warrender Park Crescent, if that helps.
Ok, so I'm gonna be in pollock halls, Lee House LE403, anyone close?

And does anyone know about having guests stay over if you're in pollock?
ceogorman
Yeah, nobody checks. A flatmate of mine had her boyfriend stay for a week and nothing happened. I'm not sure about Pollock, but in self-catered flats you don't even have to register the guest as staying in your room.

I should mention that that's based solely on Robertson's Close experience. Also, people can sleep on the couches in the kitchen. I forgot to mention this in my original rant about Robertson's, but, the couches are unbelievably horrible. You get two (at least flats 8 and 7 did, refer to my previous post in this thread if you desperately want to know how many couches you'll have), and they each seat 2 comfortably, 3 if necessary. If you push them both together they make a reasonably comfortable seat for one person, but you have to be either locked out of your own flat or drunk to sleep on one of them. Not just "teehee, I nearly used the wrong key to get in" drunk, full on "wait... what year is it?" drunk. If you go for the kitchen, prepare to be brought out of your light slumber by a flatmate coming into the kitchen in a morning-zombie state, turning on the light, saying "oh, sorry", then exiting. Consider that the smallest flats at Robertson's hold four people, each person will do the same thing. In short, unless it can't be avoided, go home instead of sleeping on someone else in Robertson's couch.

Diagram time! Seeing as I just spoke about kitchens, I'm assuming everyone's at least a little curious about what they're laid out like. Here's what flats 2, 5, 8, and 11 in block 9 are like: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8002/fl89rckitch.jpg . Sorry for how terrible a sketch it is, to be honest I lost interest halfway through.

Anyway, enough about kitchens. I noticed that somebody posted about putting up posters in the flat. Guidelines insist that you use thumb tacks. If you use blu-tack, the worst that will happen is you'll get a note on your flat inspection summary sheet that says "please use thumb tacks instead of blu-tack for your posters". Unless you damage the walls in a serious way, I doubt anything will happen.

A quick note about smoking. I can't incriminate myself, because my username is very close to my actual name, so let's say this is for conversation's sake. Hypothetically, if all of your flatmates smoke, designate the kitchen as a smoking room. Leave the window open when anyone's smoking, if you do so the fire alarm won't pick up cigarette or shisha smoke. Similar types of smoke are fine too, if you catch my drift. However, I've never seen anyone smoke a cigar at Robertson's, so don't be the first to discover that their richer smoke sets of the alarms. Of course I wouldn't recommend smoking in your flat, and have never done so myself. But, for the sake of conversation, if you were to blitz the place with air freshener and Febreeze before a flat inspection, I'd expect that the inspector wouldn't note the smell of smoke on the official record. Purely as a hypothetical, let's say you were away for a week during which a flat inspection took place, and you'd left an ashtray full of butts on the desk in your room. All that would happen would be a note on the inspection report under your room's section that said "NO SMOKING IN THE FLATS!!". It would most likely never be followed up, and no fine would be incurred.

Well, I'm quite tired now, so if you're interested in unnecessary detail about Robertson's Close expect more tomorrow.

thanks for info so far! How big are the beds, and is there enough floor space for someone to sleep on the floor?

Some people have their boyfriends/girlfriends practically moved in or actually moved in for the entire year... in flats the cleaner comes into your kitchen once a week but they never enter your room so you can keep as many people in there as you want :smile:
thebaker94
I'm thinking of bringing my XBox to Edinburgh. Does anyone know if the residences have TVs, or what is a good UK equivalent to craigslist where I might find one for sale cheap? I'm in Warrender Park Crescent, if that helps.

Use Gumtree or ebay. No university accommodation has television but they do come with aerials. Bear in mind, however, that owning a tv essentially puts you in the position of needing a tv license*. As these are £140 for a year, you should factor in that cost before deciding.

*This isn't strictly the case but you put yourself in a soso legal position if you don't.
lizfairy
thanks for info so far! How big are the beds, and is there enough floor space for someone to sleep on the floor?

Beds are standard singles (give or take a few inches, generally in length, here and there). So as long as you haven't filled your room with stuff there should be plenty of space to put people up.
calgalsantacruz
Thanks, I know it will seem so obvious when you tell me, but I can't find the link on the that first post that takes me to the different pictures. Can you be more specific, please? Thanks!

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/tsredinburghpics/

It seems the OP died (again). I've had it restored but all formatting and links are gone, so here's the link to the album of pictures.
Reply 1155

I've been put in Lee House LE423, guess thats somewhere near? Interested in having guests too but no idea of current policy about it.
As many people that have posted here, I applied for self-catered and will have some trouble adjusting my budget. Guess theres no one with a single room in David Horn or Kitcheners interested in swapping right?:frown:
albaac
I've been put in Lee House LE423, guess thats somewhere near? Interested in having guests too but no idea of current policy about it.
As many people that have posted here, I applied for self-catered and will have some trouble adjusting my budget. Guess theres no one with a single room in David Horn or Kitcheners interested in swapping right?:frown:

I presume it's near :smile: and me too, applied for £80 room... got £150.... serious budgetting coming my way I think
Soiosia
Grant House anyone? Thats where il be next year! :smile: xx

Yay :biggrin: I'm going to Grant House too, seems really hard to find people going there. What room are you? I'm GR108

thanks for the help guys :smile:
ljaybrad123

The Pollock guide says:

"Please note that you are responsible for the behaviour of your guests; should they cause any disruption or damage during their stay you will be held liable.

Overnight guests are typically permitted to stay for a maximum of two nights. Please collect and complete an overnight guest form, these can be collected from and returned to your Warden/House office."