The Student Room Group

Hezbollah threatens Lebanese belly dancer for appearing on stage with Israelis

http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=492

Fakhri with Lebanese and Israeli flags. "Willing to make it a symbol of peace."
Photo credit: Festival website

A Lebanese belly dancer is facing death threats and cannot return to her homeland after embracing an Israeli musician at an international festival in France.

On June 19, Israeli heavy metal band Orphaned Land performed alongside Lebanese belly dancer Johanna Fakhri at the Hellfest music festival in the western French town of Clisson. At the end of their performance, the Lebanese dancer held up her country’s flag while Orphaned Land's singer, Kobi Fahri, held up an Israeli flag. The two then hugged and clasped each other's hands.

Israel and Lebanon are technically at war and it is illegal under Lebanese law for any citizen to have public interactions with an Israeli. Media outlets around the world carried the image of Fakhri and Fahri brandishing their national flags, prompting a seething Hezbollah to declare Fakhri a traitor and issue a death warrant for her. The dancer has since been hiding out in France, fearing for her life if she returns to her homeland.

The threats against Fakhri have now spread from Lebanon. Last week, the French Muslim party PMF, which is closely tied to Hezbollah, carried a quote from Hezbollah on its website, declaring Fakhri “a traitor who collaborates with the Zionist enemy.”

In response, Fakhri released a statement calling her appearance with Fahri an act of peace.

“I know that politics, religion or other matters, moreover foreign ones, don’t hold an important place in a festival, but music is a tool for expression, and has to bring messages, history and legacy,” she wrote. “This way, I wanted to take this opportunity so rare in history -- seeing on stage an Israeli group and a Lebanese dancer -- to say that beyond the artistic exchange and our collaboration for the love of art, we were willing to make it a symbol of peace. And these two flags that we held as high as the fist can rise transcend all these years of war and suffering.”

Orphaned Land publicist Eitan Levi attributed Hezbollah's rage to the popularity the band enjoys among Arab and Muslim listeners.

Fahri said he hoped the embrace was the first of many peace gestures.

“The past and history are just too bloody and tragic,” Fahri said. “And If Johanna and I can live as brother and sister -- even our last names, Fakhri and Fahri, are similar -- as friends and neighbors, then why shouldn’t we influence our nations to do the same?”

Fahri said he had spoken to Fakhri and had invited her to Israel. “I hope she will come,” he said. [Musicians] have no enemies. Music has no borders and no army. We will continue to have concerts and sing the language of peace.”

------------------------------

This is about as sad as the time Hamas orientated news outlets expressed disdain over the joint Israeli/Palestinian football team that played in Canada...

Or the times the vile BDS group denounced and boycotted a joint Israeli/Palestinian film project amongst other things.

These are the types of image every sane and morally sound person should be envisaging for the future of Israel and Palestine but alas groups like Hamas and their BDS "peace camp" goons lament over such images.
(edited 12 years ago)
So I wonder how people are going to frame this one as the Jew's fault...
Original post by thisisnew
http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=492

Fakhri with Lebanese and Israeli flags. "Willing to make it a symbol of peace."
Photo credit: Festival website

A Lebanese belly dancer is facing death threats and cannot return to her homeland after embracing an Israeli musician at an international festival in France.

On June 19, Israeli heavy metal band Orphaned Land performed alongside Lebanese belly dancer Johanna Fakhri at the Hellfest music festival in the western French town of Clisson. At the end of their performance, the Lebanese dancer held up her country’s flag while Orphaned Land's singer, Kobi Fahri, held up an Israeli flag. The two then hugged and clasped each other's hands.

Israel and Lebanon are technically at war and it is illegal under Lebanese law for any citizen to have public interactions with an Israeli. Media outlets around the world carried the image of Fakhri and Fahri brandishing their national flags, prompting a seething Hezbollah to declare Fakhri a traitor and issue a death warrant for her. The dancer has since been hiding out in France, fearing for her life if she returns to her homeland.

The threats against Fakhri have now spread from Lebanon. Last week, the French Muslim party PMF, which is closely tied to Hezbollah, carried a quote from Hezbollah on its website, declaring Fakhri “a traitor who collaborates with the Zionist enemy.”

In response, Fakhri released a statement calling her appearance with Fahri an act of peace.

“I know that politics, religion or other matters, moreover foreign ones, don’t hold an important place in a festival, but music is a tool for expression, and has to bring messages, history and legacy,” she wrote. “This way, I wanted to take this opportunity so rare in history -- seeing on stage an Israeli group and a Lebanese dancer -- to say that beyond the artistic exchange and our collaboration for the love of art, we were willing to make it a symbol of peace. And these two flags that we held as high as the fist can rise transcend all these years of war and suffering.”

Orphaned Land publicist Eitan Levi attributed Hezbollah's rage to the popularity the band enjoys among Arab and Muslim listeners.

Fahri said he hoped the embrace was the first of many peace gestures.

“The past and history are just too bloody and tragic,” Fahri said. “And If Johanna and I can live as brother and sister -- even our last names, Fakhri and Fahri, are similar -- as friends and neighbors, then why shouldn’t we influence our nations to do the same?”

Fahri said he had spoken to Fakhri and had invited her to Israel. “I hope she will come,” he said. [Musicians] have no enemies. Music has no borders and no army. We will continue to have concerts and sing the language of peace.”

------------------------------

This is about as sad as the time Hamas orientated news outlets expressed disdain over the joint Israeli/Palestinian football team that played in Canada...

Or the times the vile BDS group denounced and boycotted a joint Israeli/Palestinian film project amongst other things.

These are the types of image every sane and morally sound person should be envisaging for the future of Israel and Palestine but alas groups like Hamas and their BDS "peace camp" goons lament over such images.

Jeez people call Israel a racist state whilst ignoring this, Europe still hasn't progressed from it's antisemetic ways of the middle ages.
These people are enough to make you insane

the vile BDS group denounced and boycotted a joint Israeli/Palestinian film project amongst other things.

Not the act of people who want peace
Reply 4

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Hezbollah but Israel has invaded Lebanon multiple times and the organisation has resisted these invasions - it isn't a suprise they get support amongst Shiias and even Christians in Lebanon. Given incidents like the awful Sabra and Shatila massacres it is hardly a suprise it exists no?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ferdowsi

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Hezbollah but Israel has invaded Lebanon multiple times and the organisation has resisted these invasions - it isn't a suprise they get support amongst Shiias and even Christians in Lebanon. Given incidents like the awful Sabra and Shatila massacres it is hardly a suprise it exists no?

The Sabra and Shatila massacres were committed by Maronite Christians not Israeli's. I find it hard to understand why you would paint it as some kind of cross-religious rallying point for the people of Lebanon when in fact it is perhaps the foremost example of division amongst the Lebanese.
Reply 6
Original post by Wucker
The Sabra and Shatila massacres were committed by Maronite Christians not Israeli's. I find it hard to understand why you would paint it as some kind of cross-religious rallying point for the people of Lebanon when in fact it is perhaps the foremost example of division amongst the Lebanese.

It is a well known fact that the camps were surrounded by the IDF.

The Israeli government themselves concluded that, at best, the IDF was indirectly responsible.

I didn't paint it as a cross-religious rallying point, most Shias in Lebanon are sympathetic to/in favour of Hezbollah, it has some Christian support and minimal Sunni support in Lebanon. And in a lot of the Sunni Arab world; Hezbollah is viewed as a legitimate resistance movement that has defended Southern Lebanon against an Israeli occupying force and has consistently stood up to the Israeli army.
It is a well known fact that the camps were surrounded by the IDF.

The Israeli government themselves concluded that, at best, the IDF was indirectly responsible.

I didn't paint it as a cross-religious rallying point, most Shias in Lebanon are sympathetic to/in favour of Hezbollah, it has some Christian support and minimal Sunni support in Lebanon. And in a lot of the Sunni Arab world; Hezbollah is viewed as a legitimate resistance movement that has defended Southern Lebanon against an Israeli occupying force and has consistently stood up to the Israeli army.

So why bring up the massacre? Again, it seems like a poor example when the violence was Lebanese on Lebanese.
Reply 8

Uh, I think the vast majority of Lebanese Christians would love to see the back of Hezbollah. It was the PLO themselves who caused Israel to invade Lebanon due to them created a militarized quasi state whilst exercising considerable political influence. Hezbollah itself was created off of the back of the Lebanese civil war which saw 130 - 250 thousand people dead and 1m injured–this is the war in which the Sabra and Shatila massacres took place, the attack itself was a revenge attack from a Lebanese Christian militia who were allowed in to root out PLO terrorists which had set up there but yes, the IDF should have known that a massacre was inevitable and as such their own inquiry found Israel to be indirectly responsible.

What people don't mention when talking about Sabra and Shatila is that within the same period of time, Muslim militias also attacked these camps in what was dubbed 'the war of the camps', killing hundreds and injuring thousands yet nobody ever mentions these things.

Given Syria's bloody involvement in Lebanon and indeed their occupation of it (which sought to take advantage of Arab/Israelis warring to annex Lebanon) which ended as recently as 2005 however how do you think most Lebanese feel knowing the relationship between Hezbollah, Syria and Iran and what they did to Lebanon as a country? I mean two Syrian backed groups attacked the Christian town of Darmour at one point, massacring almost 600 civilians so yeah, I'd expect most Christians loathe Hezbollah.

Edit
: Had a look around and it seems Christian support for Hezbollah was very high just after 2006 but to put this into perspective, Lebanese attitudes towards Israel have always been incredibly negative despite having a considerable Christian population, just goes to show how hatred for Israel trumps all else in the Middle East. Also the way Israel conducted that war probably unified all Lebanese sects against Israel.

We'll see how Hezbollah stand up should Assad fall and how their popularity diminishes should they coax Israel into a conflict to save Assad.

Another edit: More recent polls (2010) suggest that support for Hezbollah amongst Muslims in Lebanon is considerably low.

According to this poll: http://pewglobal.org/2010/02/04/mixed-views-of-hamas-and-hezbollah-in-largely-muslim-nations/ 64% of those surveyed in Lebanon view Hezbollah unfavorably and only 37% express confidence in Nasrallah but some things don't change, >90% still have unfavorable attitudes towards Jews but yeah, I suspect support for Hezbollah is in decline and it'll plummet further should they plunge Lebanon into conflict.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

wasn't israel the one that viciously attacked the uss liberty - killing tens of americans - and blamed it on lebanon to try and get america into a war with them? which by the way, NEARLY, worked? didn't israel bombard lebanon with chemical weapons, killing thousands of civilians? can you blame the lebanese for not wanting to interact with israelis, given the atrocities inflicted upon them? isn't it also israeli law for a jew not to marry a non-jew? for jews to be segregated from goyim in schools, etc? thisisnew, you are a hypocrite. you support the same jewish supremacist state of israel, despite the fact they exercise the brutalities you spend all day moaning and whining about. are we really to be you are not a jew? or are you that sort of jew where "religion isn't for me"? like those jewish radical zionists?
Reply 10
I just find it rather amusing that she refers to dancing scantily clad in front of greasy Israeli men and scum of the earth Arab leaders as a form of "art" that will further peace. Someone should explain to her that Hezbollah has afforded more peace to Lebanon than her semi nude body ever could.

:rolleyes:

That being said, this death threat business is ridiculous because

1) it is rather uncivilized and barbaric, no? 2) it is counter intuitive and does no more then give fodder to disingenuous Zionists who would sooner champion the rights of a imbecilic Lebanese belly dancer then stop raining white phosphorus on Palestinian children.

Oh and BDS is the mothafooking shizzle :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Saryfina~
I just find it rather amusing that she refers to dancing scantily clad in front of greasy Israeli men and scum of the earth Arab leaders as a form of "art" that will further peace. Someone should explain to her that Hezbollah has afforded more peace to Lebanon than her semi nude body ever could.

Oh yes, how dare she wave a lebanese flag alongside an Israeli one. How dare she offer hope for the two states living in peace side by side! Surely shouting 'death to Israel' is the only way to bring lasting peace to the region am I rite? :rolleyes:

also, 'greasy Israeli men and scum of the earth arab leaders'? eh? I think you will find 'orphaned land' are a very popular metal band, especially in the arab world. In fact I think 'scum of the earth arab leaders' are probably quite annoyed that the people they rule secretly listen to a band from a country they have been indocrinated to hate since the day they were born.

Anyway, 'Orphaned land' are an awesome band and everyone here should check them out - middle eastern heavy metal for the win :biggrin:
Reply 12
:facepalm2:....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending