The Student Room Group

My Strength Blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
1. Learn to dump the bar safely when you fail, this is possible.

2. As said before get him to spot you. He basically just needs to hug and squat up with you when you fail, that should be fine with 105 or anything up to a very high weight tbh.
Reply 41
he used to squat 150kg. Hasnt trained for years and he is out of shape, he has a torn ligament from years ago which he didnt sort out. So he just does upper body. But since he is getting back into this stuff, he's going to have is operation soon, but NHS waiting lists are long and this isnt critical (life and death).

Will just replace them with Front Squats
Reply 42
Original post by Mdawg
1. Learn to dump the bar safely when you fail, this is possible.

2. As said before get him to spot you. He basically just needs to hug and squat up with you when you fail, that should be fine with 105 or anything up to a very high weight tbh.

He has it in his mind that 1 isnt an option for some reason, and i explained 2
Reply 43
Build your own squat rack-
http://www.joeskopec.com/scaffold.html

Mite b a good father-son bonding experience.
Reply 44
weighed in at 68.3kg this morning, up 1.2kg from two weeks ago. Brings my total weight gain to 8kg/18lbs in 12 weeks. I couldnt workout today, did some work in the morning and afternoon, then went to my cousins house, whole family there, etc and just got back so i was there for ~6 hours. Not complaining as it was a good time, will just have to make up for it with mon/wed/fri
Reply 45
Front Squats
25x5x3
35x5
45x5
55x5
65x5x3

Bench
20x5
30x5
45x4
55x2
65 5,3,2

Power Cleans
20x5x2
25x5
30x5
40x3
50 3,3,2,3,4

First time i front squated.. could have gone higher but my wrists were feeling it as well as my back for some reason.
Bench was worse than last time, i think it's my mentality going into this was very relaxed.
Power Clean - in my 3rd set i couldnt get the 3rd set out for some reason, but made up with it with 4 in the last set somehow......
Reply 46
Just chiming in here with my advice that isn't in the least based on personal experience (:tongue:), but zercher squats might be a better substitution for back squats, given that back angle has more of a resemblance to a back squat than a regular front squat.
How are you taking to the power clean technique anyway?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
zercher squats look painful on your bicep tendons...

Power Clean technique is going ok, my main 2 problems are catching the damn bar on my shoulders and concentrating my clean into a short burst, when i concentrate on my second point the bar flies, which is why i failed on the 3rd set but got an extra rep on my last
Reply 48
Front Squats
25x10
25x5
35x5
45x5
55x3
70x3x5

OHP
20x5x3
25x3
30x2
40x3x5

DL
60x5
60x5 (mixed grip)
80x3
105x2
125x5 (mixed grip)

Squats - Meh, just getting the positioning on my shoulders right, not too challenging atm
OHP - I reset it, this wasnt difficut but not easy either.
DL - Going up very slowly on these, i want to make it to 3 plate with no missed reps, but it's gonna be tough

I managed to somehow make my dad see the light in getting a power rack. We arent getting it soon as we're having work done on our house so spending some money when we're spending a bit on other stuff isnt gonna happen. Maybe in about a month we will get it. Front squats are a temp thing basically
Reply 49
Front Squats
20x5x2
30x5
45x3
65x2
75x5x3

Bench
20x5
30x5
45x5
55x5
65 5,4,3

Power Cleans
20x5
30x5
35x5
40x3
52.5 3,3,3,4,3

Front Squats were tiring but done them easily
Bench was better than last time by 2 reps, but gonna rest weight as ive been on it for too long.
Power Clean - Did 4 reps on my 4th set as my 3rd rep was **** on that set. Realized what i was doing wrong on the catch. Wasnt bending my knees slightly and partial squatting the rest.
Reply 50
Been ill since Sunday so missed my sunday and today's workout. will see if i'm ok for friday
Reply 51
DISCLAIMER-NOT TO DO WITH STRENGTH

I signed up for a 6 mile run before I started weights, my mate reminded me on monday that it was on sunday... Great. So today i had a little kick around in the park and felt ok. So, with my cousin who is in good running condition, i did a 4 mile run, my first "run" in over 3 months. Only times ive run in this time is 3 11 a side matches and 2 5 a side one hour kick arounds.

I remember them saying "40 minutes".. I was thinking, "nah they mean high 40s". (for the 6 mile run)

Anyways, my cousin was left thinking he could do another 2 miles but i was close to giving up 3/4 of the way in, my glutes/hams were literally burning at this point, and my lower back and left trap randomly started hurting at random points in the run. Anyway the time was 29:45. 14:45 in the first 2 miles. My cousin also reckons that was the fastest we've ever done that route. We usually use that as a warm up for martial arts you see.

Tomorow im doing weights, saturday match and sunday weights followed by this run. It's only a charity run but i want to know in what condition im in for it. I reckon if i did the same run again it would improve quite a bit....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Didnt train on friday or today, felt i would be overtraining with a 6 mile run in here. Got 52 minutes. I feel knackered but it was frustrating because it was so packed and it was like a slalom, i felt 5 minutes could have been taken off due to the stop start nature of that run. Ah well, it was still a fun day.

Tuesday back on that SS 3 times a week till end of april... Then i have some summer football tournaments so i will be doing this less frequently for a few month, then back on it full time again
Reply 53
BACK TO WEIGHTS WOOOO

Front Squats
20x5
20x5
30x5
45x3
60x2
80x3x5

OHP
20x5x3
30x3
35x2
42.5x3x5

DL
60x5 (mixed grip)
60x5
85x3
110x2
130x5 (mixed grip)

I managed to maintain my progress but it was killer, i think my forms gone off, going to hammer the form back into my head
Reply 54
Just to add my back is knackered, I think obviously it's mainly to do with the Deadlifts but also Front Squats, what would be the cause of it from the front squats?
Reply 55
Front Squats
20x5x2
30x5
45x5
65x3
82.5x5x3

Bench
20x5
30x5
40x3
50x2
57.5x5x3

Power Cleans
20x5
30x5
35x3
45x2
55x3x5

Front Squat was still weird, i think it's my flexibility.
Bench was okay, no struggle
Power Clean - Same as bench, technique is getting better
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
into watch, just added front-squats into my own training, why are you not doing back-squats? defo do a hamstring movement if you don't plan on back-squatting.
Reply 57
It's only temporary... I workout at home and we only have a squat stand. I got to 105kg but I was close to stalling so my dad reckoned it's not safe to dump the weight without a proper rack. Just need to get a power rack now.
Reply 58
I need to sort my sleep out, it's the last thing that I need to do in terms or Strength Training. I should go to sleep 10/11 but I end up doing nothing and wasting a few hours like now. I'm off to bed now
Reply 59
Front Squats
20x5
20x5
30x5
50x3
65x2
80x5
80x5
80x5

OHP
20x5
20x5
20x5
30x3
35x2
45x5
45x5
45x4

DL
60x5 (mixed grip)
60x5
85x3
115x2
135x4 (mixed grip)

Front Squats were ok, technique was better this time. First time i did 45kg since the deload, definately easier than last time I attempted it, managed 2x5 on it for the first time but that last rep was soo close!!! The barbell was slanted though like this / (not that extreme) I guess imbalances were shown. It was the first time i deadlifted in chucks, i felt it more on my back, but i saw this coming after my last deadlift at 130. My legs were shaking too much on the 5th rep, i raised it a few inches, but no more :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest