The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature F661

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
So what's everyone doing for the night before then?
I....am panicking :wink:
Original post by gingernat
So what's everyone doing for the night before then?
I....am panicking :wink:

Yeah I'm panicking too :frown: Just going over Yeats again...
Not so nervous about prose, learnt a good amount of quotes and critics...

Also, if in doubt as to who the critic is, just put down 'Harold Bloom', that guy has essays on like every book, every poem, every everthing ever :P
Reply 82
Nice! I'm frantically doing poetry notes!
Really very stupid question here: when analysing structure and form....which is which?!

By this I mean, isn't there an overlap? Surely structure is part of form and vice versa? Any ideas? :biggrin:
Really very stupid question here: when analysing structure and form....which is which?!

By this I mean, isn't there an overlap? Surely structure is part of form and vice versa? Any ideas? :biggrin:

The poetry question will always be: Discuss ways in which X presents Y in ‘Z’. In your answer, explore the effects of language, imagery and verse form, and consider how this poem relates to other poems by X that you have studied.

Just remember FLIRT
F-Form
L-Language
I-Imagery
R-Reader's response/context
T-Tone

That's what you need to integrate into the themes you discuss in your answer :smile:
Original post by purple-owl
The poetry question will always be: Discuss ways in which X presents Y in ‘Z’. In your answer, explore the effects of language, imagery and verse form, and consider how this poem relates to other poems by X that you have studied.

Our quesiton:

"Yeats. Discuss (30marks)"
Reply 86
I hope the questions will be nice and broad seeing that it's the first year. But you never know with ruddy OCR- they like to challenge.
Which poet/novel is everyone doing? I've got Edward Thomas and Jane Eyre. Feeling pretty chilled really.
Reply 88
Original post by harrietparrot
Which poet/novel is everyone doing? I've got Edward Thomas and Jane Eyre. Feeling pretty chilled really.

Thomas and Frankenstein. I think Ill surprise myself but....damn, I'm a bit nervy!
Reply 89
ahhh I am panicking slightly too... I've been doing poetry revision ALL day, I still need to revise some maths as well...

Also, I read the OCR report for the Jan 2012 exam and the comment under one of the prose essay questions was 'As ever, candidates seemed to be more attracted to questions about characters and themes than to those about language and structure' which hints what the two essay questions might be! My teachers have been saying they might be more lenient because it's the first year, so fingers crossed....
Reply 90

I'm doing Thomas as well! And Mrs Dalloway.

Browning and Henry James. I'm not that calm. The last two essays I did on each I got 27 on but I just don't feel prepared at all!
Original post by katles
ahhh I am panicking slightly too... I've been doing poetry revision ALL day, I still need to revise some maths as well...

Also, I read the OCR report for the Jan 2012 exam and the comment under one of the prose essay questions was 'As ever, candidates seemed to be more attracted to questions about characters and themes than to those about language and structure' which hints what the two essay questions might be! My teachers have been saying they might be more lenient because it's the first year, so fingers crossed....

Surely they can't do two questions on language and structure?! :frown: There's no way I'd be able to answer one of those.
It's really hard to revise for arts subjects! Especially when there are no past papers. Has everyone seen these sample answers from OCR?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_59959_sm_gce_unit_f661_csa.pdf
They're on Thomas and Jane Eyre but handy for examiners comments.
Reply 94
Surely they can't do two questions on language and structure?! :frown: There's no way I'd be able to answer one of those.

The examiner's comment suggests that for the past papers for other texts there's normally always been one question based on a theme (e.g. 'Explore how x represents the role of women in y) and then the second on the narrative technique or structure of the novel. If it comes down to this I will probably pick the thematic one to do!

I think (and hope) the questions will be nice and broad this year, allowing us scope to explore as much as possible
Reply 95
It's really hard to revise for arts subjects! Especially when there are no past papers. Has everyone seen these sample answers from OCR?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_59959_sm_gce_unit_f661_csa.pdf
They're on Thomas and Jane Eyre but handy for examiners comments.

Ohh yeah my teacher printed the Thomas essay out for us at the beginning of the year. It has some good points but it's structured so erratically! The paragraphs are soo short.
Original post by katles

I think (and hope) the questions will be nice and broad this year, allowing us scope to explore as much as possible

Oh good, I hope so too!
Reply 97
You all seem to know what you're talking about unlike myself. Going to be late night revision I suppose - so so many quotations to learn :frown:
Reply 98
Original post by sweetiepie
Finally!!! Another victim of a crazy teacher who chose Conrad!
How's revision going for you? I hate it so much I only finished reading the novel about 2 weeks ago no joke it was so hard to read :frown:

You'll laugh even harder when i say i haven't even read the whole book - class has been a nightmare, i just don't understand this book or the point of this book!
Do you have any ideas on what the questions could be like?
so so so worried! good luck
Original post by katles
Ohh yeah my teacher printed the Thomas essay out for us at the beginning of the year. It has some good points but it's structured so erratically! The paragraphs are soo short.

Might just be OCR editing, spacing them out to make the AO's clearer.

Quick Reply