The Student Room Group

Chances of a 1st Class Degree

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so i guess a "hello" is in order! Anyway...

I've finished my final year and I've recieved my provisional marks for my third and final year (pre-moderated results). We've also been given a spreadsheet to work out what marks we'll get and thus what degree we'll end up with. Adding up my second year marks (30% of overall degree) and the provisional third year marks (70% of overall degree) it's all worked out to be 69.18%!

Now obviously 70% is the boundary for a 1st Class Degree, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether a moderator would look at that and try to bump it up at all? As these marks are provision thus far it means that two more moderators need to mark it and basically, I'm just wondering whether anyone thinks I have much of a chance of getting bumped up? Is it normal for moderators to mark work down? Is it normal to get a few more marks? I'm just really nervous! A 2:1 is a fantastic degree but as I'm literally 0.22% away from a 1st I'm really nervous!

Cheers for all of your help in advance! :smile:
Stefan

P.S - I'll list my marks below just for convenience:

Second Year:
1st Module - 70
2nd Module - 82
3rd Module - 59
4th Module - 66
5th Module - 68
6th Module - 68

Third Year:
1st Module - 66
2nd Module - 80
3rd Module - 65
4th Module - 65
5th Module - 70 (Double Credit/Dissertation)

Total Added: 69.18%
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Excuse me bumping the post, but basically my question is, how much can I expect my Provisional Final Results to differ from my Confirmed Final Results? Have people had much difference between the two? Do the moderators usually try to bump the marks up if you are extremely close to the boundary for the next class of degree? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GeckoPutt
Excuse me bumping the post, but basically my question is, how much can I expect my Provisional Final Results to differ from my Confirmed Final Results? Have people had much difference between the two? Do the moderators usually try to bump the marks up if you are extremely close to the boundary for the next class of degree? :smile:

Firstly well done :biggrin:

Secondly, the best people to ask is your uni/tutor as each university has its' own rules. For example, some unis give you a 5 minute meeting to see whether it should be bumped up or not. Whereas others have a set of rules for cases like this.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
I've just finished my second year so can't offer any real advice but you should check your course handbook/programme guide because it should explain what happens in such scenarios. I think ofr my own course they bump you to 1st class if you have got 70+ in most of your modules. Different courses in unis do different things.
Reply 4
This really does depend on the university and course you are on. It is 'normal' for you to be bumped up to a 1st, but by no means guaranteed. Moderators should have the discretion to change classes in borderline cases such as yours.

As each university is different, as others have said already the only definitive answer will have to come from your university.

When I graduated we had a particularly tough set of exams and the university scaled up some of our marks considerably to allow for many more people to get a first, so there may be hope.

Congrats on your performance; either way it turns out you should be pleased with your marks!
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your replies guys, I got a reply from my head lecturer after forwarding the same question and this was his reply:

"Hi Stefan

Thanks for your email and I'm happy to respond - though please don't take my word as final as my comments are only based on my calculations and nothing gets formalised until the exam board. I would hate to mislead and disappoint you through my mistaken take on maths! But I think you are in line for a first - just....Your 40 credit mark got uploaded before moderation and in fact did get upgraded from the original 70% to 72%. This was done by others without having access to the maths or the bigger picture as to your profile so I can be satisfied that the outcome is fair and without prejudice.
There are in fact several different calculations to be made and they are much more complex than a straight sum. Here it is in shorthand so you can recheck for yourself.....

If you achieve an overall aggregate percentage not more that 3.0 percent below the next classification, you can be awarded the higher classification provided that your aggregate percentage at Stage 3 is in the higher classification band. According to my maths your overall aggregate percentage was 69.64 and your aggregate percentage at Stage 3 was 70%. Therefore a first is awarded according to my maths. But as I say I would hate to misinform you so do your own maths and by all means get back to me if you're still anxious or if you think I can be of further help. The board sits on 21st June and whilst I am not permitted to divulge any decisions made we can have 'some kind of exchange'. Beyond all this though you have been a delightful / idiosyncratic student and rest assured we'll give you a good send-off at graduation.

Best wishes*

Phil"

What do you guys take from that?! :biggrin: godddd I do hope that I get a first!
Reply 6
Original post by GeckoPutt
Thank you so much for your replies guys, I got a reply from my head lecturer after forwarding the same question and this was his reply:

"Hi Stefan

Thanks for your email and I'm happy to respond - though please don't take my word as final as my comments are only based on my calculations and nothing gets formalised until the exam board. I would hate to mislead and disappoint you through my mistaken take on maths! But I think you are in line for a first - just....Your 40 credit mark got uploaded before moderation and in fact did get upgraded from the original 70% to 72%. This was done by others without having access to the maths or the bigger picture as to your profile so I can be satisfied that the outcome is fair and without prejudice.
There are in fact several different calculations to be made and they are much more complex than a straight sum. Here it is in shorthand so you can recheck for yourself.....

If you achieve an overall aggregate percentage not more that 3.0 percent below the next classification, you can be awarded the higher classification provided that your aggregate percentage at Stage 3 is in the higher classification band. According to my maths your overall aggregate percentage was 69.64 and your aggregate percentage at Stage 3 was 70%. Therefore a first is awarded according to my maths. But as I say I would hate to misinform you so do your own maths and by all means get back to me if you're still anxious or if you think I can be of further help. The board sits on 21st June and whilst I am not permitted to divulge any decisions made we can have 'some kind of exchange'. Beyond all this though you have been a delightful / idiosyncratic student and rest assured we'll give you a good send-off at graduation.

Best wishes*

Phil"

What do you guys take from that?! :biggrin: godddd I do hope that I get a first!

Probable, but I would still take it with caution. Congrats on doing really well and good luck on getting that first! :smile:
Reply 7
Your lecturer sounds awesome, it was really nice of him to go into so much detail with you. I would try to relax until you get told your final classification officially, safe in the knowledge that they are making informed, holistic decisions and still have the power to bump you up to a first (if other moderated results don't quite go your way).

If you haven't already, thank your lecturer via an email reply. Politeness can't hurt you at this point!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending