The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Has anyone been able to resit an exam if they misread their timetable (or similar)?

Hi everyone,

So I am at the University of Manchester in my 3rd year, and unfortunately missed an exam in January due to misreading an exam timetable, I then told the complete truth (when I could of said i was ill) and my university are saying I cannot do anything to change my mark. Due to being in third year there are no resits.

I have been awarded a 2:2 classification, but in order to of gotten a 2:1 I only would of needed to of gotten 16% in the exam (an exam which had 2 (had to answer 3) questions based upon an essay I had written in which I achieved a mark of 68.) It is obvious I would have gotten at least 16% so am definitely worthy of a 2:1.

My appeal to my school of social sciences was rejected by the mitigating circumstances committee, so I am now filing one with the Faculty of Humanities which is above it.

I have been advised to find cases where people have been allowed to resit, get an average mark or any other way in which they rectified their situation and received the grade which was clearly the most logical and deserved.

I realise it is my own fault for misreading the timetable etc....but I am going to submit an appeal regardless of what people say - any examples of similar situations or any other help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
Well, let me know how you get on, I can't help but it sounds really dick-ish of UoM to refuse to allow you to a)resit or b)given you an average grade granted that you achieved 68 in an essay based on the questions.

Good luck! Sounds really unfortunate for you to miss out on a 2:1 and that could greatly affect what you could do with your degree, certainly in the short term. Let us know how you get on!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Whilst I do symapthise with you as I have misread an exam timetable luckily it was at Alevel and realised in time so i could get to the exam,

You are currently asking UoM to overturn their 3rd year resit policy which again I think is a bit ridiculous but you will face a serious uphill battle.

The second option would be asking them to give an exam mark where you haven't actually done the exam which would harm their integrity.

Wish you good luck but hope you realise the battle ahead.
Reply 3
Original post by Christow
Hi everyone,

So I am at the University of Manchester in my 3rd year, and unfortunately missed an exam in January due to misreading an exam timetable, I then told the complete truth (when I could of said i was ill) and my university are saying I cannot do anything to change my mark. Due to being in third year there are no resits.

I have been awarded a 2:2 classification, but in order to of gotten a 2:1 I only would of needed to of gotten 16% in the exam (an exam which had 2 (had to answer 3) questions based upon an essay I had written in which I achieved a mark of 68.) It is obvious I would have gotten at least 16% so am definitely worthy of a 2:1.

My appeal to my school of social sciences was rejected by the mitigating circumstances committee, so I am now filing one with the Faculty of Humanities which is above it.

I have been advised to find cases where people have been allowed to resit, get an average mark or any other way in which they rectified their situation and received the grade which was clearly the most logical and deserved.

I realise it is my own fault for misreading the timetable etc....but I am going to submit an appeal regardless of what people say - any examples of similar situations or any other help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Unfortunately the rules are the rules, and I doubt the university will change their policy (as much as that sucks.) The regulations for mitigation specially exclude the possibility of misreading the exam timetable.

As for resits, I can't imagine they'll give you one because of the rule for mitigation.

Best of luck with your appeal anyway though; if you can say that you need a 2i for master's/job then you might be able to get away with something, although I wouldn't get my hopes up. Have you spoken to your tutor about this? Also, I'm assuming that you've graduated by now? If so, it's going to be a massive headache to rectify the situation because you've been invested with the degree already.

As I said before, good luck and let us know what happens!
This would make a great Specsavers advert...
Reply 5
Like others have said already, I highly doubt that the uni will overturn their decision but good luck anyway, keep us updated
Reply 6
Original post by suffocation1992

I do wear glasses aswell - well contacts ha
Reply 7
I have submitted a formal appeal anyway as I said, could take a few weeks to hear anything back!
Reply 8
Original post by Christow
I have submitted a formal appeal anyway as I said, could take a few weeks to hear anything back!

i know it's been a year now but how did it go?
Reply 9
Original post by treeoflife
i know it's been a year now but how did it go?

This person was last active a year ago! I don't think they'll reply :erm:
Reply 10
Original post by suffocation1992

This.
Reply 11
Original post by Levingne
This person was last active a year ago! I don't think they'll reply :erm:

he might check his email :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending