The Student Room Group

Help Regarding Counterpart Driving License

Hi i have my practical test booked on the 26th july, but ive lost my paper bit to the driving license. do you reckon i could get it in time if i ordered a new one and does anyone know how much it costs. also would it be better to say i lost both parts of the license or just the paper bit.

thanks
Reply 1
I've heard on here its easier to loose both parts of the licence than just the one.

Im not sure how long it takes to get a new licence but you MAY just get it in time but there are no guarantees.
Reply 2
Ohmigosh, I'm in exactly the same situation, only mine is on the 16th.

Who do I contact about it? I've looked on the website, but can''t find anything. Help! xo
Reply 3
It is easier to lose both parts of your licence than just one part. If you need to only replace one part they normally ask you to send the other bit you still have back in, and then they send you the replacements. Whereas if you have *lost* both parts they will just send you both parts straight away.

Have a look here for information about lost licences. Looking at the costs listed here it looks like it will be £22.00.
Reply 4
Yeah, it's better to replace the whole thing, as long as you don't mind the new black and white security card which seems to be just about useless as ID at the moment.
Reply 5
paper licence for a photocard licence (including removing expired endorsements)
£10.00

doesnt that mean its only £10 if i say ive lost justt the paper bit though?
Reply 6
PaKi_sOuLjA
£10.00

I think that means if you had the old style license made of paper.

I could be wrong :smile:
Reply 7
P1N3R
I think that means if you had the old style license made of paper.

I could be wrong :smile:

Thats what i was thinking, could you tell us the exact wording of what you've seen/read??
It'll come in a few days. On the eve of my first test I realised I couldn't find mine...tore my house to pieces looking for the ****er, couldn't find it, and i had to cancel my test without a refund, was a right nightmare...anyway, send off for it now and it'll def. come before your test.
Reply 9
PaKi_sOuLjA
£10.00

Short answer -no.

Essentially, there used to be only one part to a UK driving license, it was a piece of paper which AFAIK had no picture of you. Anyway, the DVLA changed the system quite a long time ago so that there are now two parts to a UK drivers license; the photocard -which is acceptable as ID, and the 'paper counterpart' which is what it sounds to me like you have lost; the paper counterpart is not the same as the paper license, as the paper counterpart is only one part of the license. So, as you can see from the "paper license for a photocard" means switching the old paper license for a new photocard and counterpart license. To do that, you'd need to have the old style paper license, and submit that to Swansea to be checked and a new license would be issued.

It is quicker to tell them you've lost both the paper counterpart and the photocard as they will then be able to immediately issue both again, as if you told them you had the photocard but not the paper counterpart, they would ask you to post them the photocard (at your expense), then when they received that, they would re-issue the counterpart and post them both back to you, taking about 4 working days longer than if you told them you'd lost both parts. I don't know if it is more expensive to do it this way though. The website with all the answers is; http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring/
or http://www.dvla.gov.uk/

Hope this helps, and good luck with your tests.

Latest