The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

prospectivEEconomist
How much do cheap and decent aviators cost? I want one! Never had sunglasses.

You can get a pair from H&M for about a fiver, they're not overly good quality, but they do the job so to speak.
Reply 121
I'm quite sensitive to sunlight - quite photophobic, I wear my sunglasses a lot. I get dirty looks, laughed at and the names... its not nice but I'd take it as yes, I do look arrogant x
Depending whether they are big aviators, they are pouting and playing with their hair all the time.
Reply 123
Reblet
90% of people who wear them a lot either have ugly eyes or are trying to hide their alcoholism. FACT.

I have the former issue.

The remaining 10% are perverts looking at others' private part areas.

Oh and 64% of statistics are made up on the spot :p:
evil groove
Mine cost £10 off of ASOS :biggrin:

Do you not worry about scratching the lenses?

No. Why? Ha ha! My Ralph L. sunglasses (prescription lenses) have a pretty simple design (green frame) with very dark shade. I've been wearing them for a few years, and I don't go out without them. I just moved from a freaky place (but, I love the city as my 3rd home!) where there're at least 350 days of sunny days. I'm pretty careful with them (I tuck them into my neck area too), and don't have any scratch on the lenses. The dark-shade makes me look cool, I think.:cool:
My GUESS sunglasse have a white frame (light brownish shade), which just looks like one of the Paris Hilton's glasses. It's without prescription lenses. So I wouldn't wear them if I'm driving my car. Now, I live in such a big city, so driving is unthinkable! I'm not used to drive surrounded by aggressive drivers before in narrow (or 3-4 lanes) and endless one-way streets. Not exactly. Probably, someone (road rage) would put bullet holes on my forehead, if I do defensive driving in this area. Anyway, so I walk a lot block to block. I hate dirty subways too. It's so humid and sunny (hot) here mostly. Anyway, the GUESS sunglasses look cool too, and I can wear them more often here.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of GUESS. I bought a fancy GUESS watch before I moved, but man, I'm too afraid of being mugged in the mean streets of this city. There're scary beggers everywhere. Argh!
Then again, having to squint your eyes all the time because you DON'T wear sunglasses can make you look like a bit of a willy. I lost my Ray Bans last week :frown:
Reply 126
The Stig
:ditto: Some people pull them of very well.

It also makes it more difficult to spot if someone is good looking or not :p:

So badly this. The amount of times I've seen a girl who has a nice body, is in sunglasses, you think she is one fine girl! Then they come off and its like :eek: .

And not in a good way.

:frown:
Reply 127
The assertion that sunglass-wearers look arrogant is an absolutely ridicolous one. If someone is judging me purely because I'm wearing my shades then frankly that says more about their pathetic nature than it does about me.
Reply 128
Bavarian Motor Works
I dont have time to pitter patter so i just put my foot down and get there as fast and safe as possible without getting caught :wink:

i've seen your profile and you are not a fat balding middle aged man so i think you can be forgiven your beamer. is it a 6 series?
It does annoy me when people wear them unnecessarily, for example inside buildings and at night/ in darker conditions. But I don't know why really as in them cases sunglasses could be regarded as just another fashion accessory.

I think it's probably because it makes the wearer seem rude when talking to them, similar to when someone has headphones in perhaps? Not sure :confused:
We communicate subtly through facial expressions in social encounters, and the sunglasses could be preventing this??
Reply 130
it is not a fashion statement in my case but if one does want to make a statement with sunglasses what is wrong with that? you could say the same about people who wear scarfs in the summer or people who wear beanie hats when it is hot or baseball caps when it is not sunny or people who wear hoodies when it blatently isn't going to rain (even if the hood is down). why wear a rolex when you could have a cheap plastic watch? why wear anything that could be bought cheaper elsewhere?

i could go on but i think you get my point. If you're going to knock those who wear sunglasses when it isnt sunny you may as well knock everyone who ever made a fashion statement. the only reason i could think sunglasses get more stick than other accessories is that they can on some people look rather cool which has been known to evoke jealous reactions from some. a bit like when a beautiful girl is labelled a slut or a bitch by less attractive women.
jjbristol
i've seen your profile and you are not a fat balding middle aged man so i think you can be forgiven your beamer. is it a 6 series?

yup
Reply 132
I wear mine in the car mostly, as many ppl, do, i dont think they make people look arrogant, just helps keep the glare out of our eyes.

I think sunglasses in summer and sunny days are fine, if your walking about, car etc fine.

I think sun glasses when there is no sun is stupid, and i hate ppl that wear sunglasses inside. They just look stupid/poser/arrogant.
Reply 133
jjbristol

Are you kidding? Much better a fat balding man who's earnt it have it than this prick who was born with a silver spoon so far up his arse it's almost puncturing his lungs.
Depends, sometimes they can.
Elipsis
Are you kidding? Much better a fat balding man who's earnt it have it than this prick who was born with a silver spoon so far up his arse it's almost puncturing his lungs.

LMAO!!
When people wear them in clubs it's like, what are you doing?
I wouldn't really think that. But i find it annoying when people wear sunglasses on cloudy days but they might just have sensitive eyes.:cool:
Reply 138
Elipsis

do i smell jealousy???? :biggrin:

How do you know he hasn't earnt it? And even if he hasn't: so what? If your dad gave you keys to a new 6 series would you take the moral highground and say ''no thanks''? I didn't think so so stop knocking the guy for it.
Reply 139
SaintMattio
No, they look like they're protecting their eyes from the sun!

Exactly how I would have put it.

Latest

Trending

Trending