The Student Room Group

Help with Topics for Math Studies Internal Assessment

I have to come up with three topics for my Math Studies Internal Assessment as summer work but I am completely lost. My teacher didn't really explain how we form these topics. Can someone sort of explain this to me and give me examples of topics for Math Studies Internal Assessment?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard of an Italian group that just published a paper, in which it was claimed that the frequency of world records in all sports follow an s-curve, and that we now are on the upper part of it - fewer new world records are being set. You could choose a sport of your interest, look at the history of world records, and by applying some model to it, extrapolate from the data and suggest if the competitors have reached the peak performance or when thay will reach it. You could give the investigation a slight twist by including yet another sport and analysing it similarly. In that case, you would be able to compare the potential for new world records being broken, etc.

The most important thing you shouold think of when choosing a topic is that you are certain that a lot and different math can be applied.
Reply 2
Hi!

I think I could help you! I did math studies, got a 19/20 on my IA. The title and the RQ were:

Investigation of the biological relationship between body length and shoe size in a group of women

RQ: Does a relationship between the two variables body length and shoe size in a group of women exist, or do they vary independently of each other?

I collected data from 386 women, it's a lot better to have an abundance of data than small samples of data. However my method was not random, as I explain and motivate in the section called Evaluation of methods used:

"Notice how the word “group” was included in the RQ;
Does a relationship between the two variables body length and shoe size in a group of women exist, or do they vary independently of each other?
This fact effectively conveys the message that it is not this investigation’s intention to discuss whether or not the results of this investigation can be applicable on the whole Swedish female population; the focus is primarily the group of 386 women in the group. Additionally, without the inclusion of the word “group” the method of the investigation would have had to be simple random sampling, a method which was consciously rejected as the method of sampling due to the amount of time that had to be spent in that case, due to the procedures of generating random numbers, assigning them to the subjects etcetera."

I did the following calculations:

1. Scatterplot
2. Correlation analysis including Pearson's product-moment correlation coefficient and the sample coefficient of determination
3. Regression analysis including least square regression line and the standard error of estimate

These calculations was then critically discussed (such as the fact that Pearson's tend to generate an incorrect picture of the strength of the relationship whilst the sample coefficient of determination doesn't).

I was much aided by the book Hamburg, Morris. Basic Statistics: A Modern Approach (Third Edition). I used my GDC and the Minitab statistical package (free trial).

Hope that gave you an idea
Reply 3
I was thinking of investigating the stroop effect and doing stats and standard deviation.
any ideas of other mathematical processes i could use?
Reply 4
johan_89
Hi!

I think I could help you! I did math studies, got a 19/20 on my IA. The title and the RQ were:

Investigation of the biological relationship between body length and shoe size in a group of women

RQ: Does a relationship between the two variables body length and shoe size in a group of women exist, or do they vary independently of each other?

I collected data from 386 women, it's a lot better to have an abundance of data than small samples of data. However my method was not random, as I explain and motivate in the section called Evaluation of methods used:

Does a relationship between the two variables body length and shoe size in a group of women exist, or do they vary independently of each other?
This fact effectively conveys the message that it is not this investigation’s intention to discuss whether or not the results of this investigation can be applicable on the whole Swedish female population; the focus is primarily the group of 386 women in the group. Additionally, without the inclusion of the word “group” the method of the investigation would have had to be simple random sampling, a method which was consciously rejected as the method of sampling due to the amount of time that had to be spent in that case, due to the procedures of generating random numbers, assigning them to the subjects etcetera."

1. Scatterplot
2. Correlation analysis including Pearson's product-moment correlation coefficient and the sample coefficient of determination
3. Regression analysis including least square regression line and the standard error of estimate

These calculations was then critically discussed (such as the fact that Pearson's tend to generate an incorrect picture of the strength of the relationship whilst the sample coefficient of determination doesn't).

I was much aided by the book Hamburg, Morris. Basic Statistics: A Modern Approach (Third Edition). I used my GDC and the Minitab statistical package (free trial).

Hi Johan I was wondering if you could give me a brief idea on what I should include in my conclusion. Thanks!
Reply 5
johan_89
Hi!

1. Scatterplot

Heey!
I was thinking about investigating if there is a relationship between length between arms, and body length....what do you think about that?
:o:
Reply 6
I was going to do gender and memory... but that's going to take forever because I need to do that concetration card game for like 40 people... and I don't have that kind of time! :frown: .... The bodylength/shoe size thing sounds good though, did you just measure them? How did your data look though?
Reply 7
I did a stats report - comparing the literacy rates of 50 countries and their birth rates. After doing geography I already knew there would be a correlation, so I just did tables, scatterplots, regression analysis, box and whisker plots ... whatever you can think of. I got a 7. To be honest, I would suggest getting your data from elsewhere rather than collecting it yourself. The IB aren't looking at how well you can collect data (and it takes up so much time). As long as you can verify its validity (i.e. I emailed the editor of the book I got the results from and asked him some questions about sources etc) they're happy.
Reply 8
Yeah but i've already collected my data so I guess I'm over the hard part. But now I have my data and I don't know what to do with it. Mean median and mode just seem too simple. Any suggestions Kate?
Reply 9
Saandrah
Heey!
I was thinking about investigating if there is a relationship between length between arms, and body length....what do you think about that?
:o:

Can anyone help understand how to use pearson's correlation coefficient? I'm trying to see whether height and foot length are dependant of each other.
my topic was if the height and weight of an NHL player affected how many goals they scored in a season. it was really easy and i got a 19/20 on it- lost a point in the conclusion apparently. hope that helps
Reply 11
Ok...I need a little help with my project, too.:frown: I can't figure out a good topic. I came up with
1)-Study on student sleeping patterns and grades
2)-Study on student BMI level and ability to run a mile or something (still a bit vague on that)
And that's it. :confused: HELP ME PLEASE!
Reply 12
25 kate
I did a stats report - comparing the literacy rates of 50 countries and their birth rates. After doing geography I already knew there would be a correlation, so I just did tables, scatterplots, regression analysis, box and whisker plots ... whatever you can think of. I got a 7. To be honest, I would suggest getting your data from elsewhere rather than collecting it yourself. The IB aren't looking at how well you can collect data (and it takes up so much time). As long as you can verify its validity (i.e. I emailed the editor of the book I got the results from and asked him some questions about sources etc) they're happy.

Hey , im finding it hard to get a topic for maths, this topic sounds really good, just wondering where you founds the stats for it...any website you would recomend?
thanks
seeblueforever
my topic was if the height and weight of an NHL player affected how many goals they scored in a season. it was really easy and i got a 19/20 on it- lost a point in the conclusion apparently. hope that helps

Hey, can you tell me what calculations you used to this theme?
I'll try to do the same idea but with NBA players.
please help me.. :wink:
Reply 14
Yea even i plan to do it
a little help needed please :frown:
Reply 15
hello,..my maths project is on age and facebook usage and my research question is Investigating the relationship between gender, age and facebook usage at ‘XYZ school’. I think it is a nice and basic question where lots of data can be collected and analised..what you you think?
Reply 16
dude i am supposed to submit the topic by tomorrow and do it in summer vacation. :'(
Reply 17
25 kate

Hi! This sounds so interesting, what a great idea! Do you mind sharing with me where you found your data? I have looked at UN and FedStats but it's hard to find. Also, if you have any other tips concerning your IA please let me know! :smile:

Thank youuu

Andrea
Reply 18
hey guys i need help with my math IA SL....i would like to do it about trigonometry but i cant define the example...thanks!!
Reply 19
johan_89
Hi!

1. Scatterplot

i think that topic is really good and suggested the same to my teacher when she asked me what my topic was but she said it's too simple :s-smilie: another one of my friends had done the same topic when he was in IB too and he got a 17 but i don't understand why my teacher doesn't approve. can you help me ? what other information did you include for your data collection? thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending