The Student Room Group

Jobs with a criminology degree?

What jobs are available to go into once i have completed a criminology degree?

Also, i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.

Thanks, ems x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/online_guides/Criminology.pdf

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/For_parents/Choosing_a_course_at_university/Subjects_to_study/Your_degree_in_criminology/Job_options/p!ecdebee
Reply 2
Emsy

Also, i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.

Thanks, ems x

I think with the police there are no opportunities to enter at a higher level. You can get put on a graduate fast track scheme to get experience and promotion quicker but you have to begin as a constable. Im sure I read that if you are on the grad scheme you only have to do one year as a constable though...most other people have to do 2 years.
Reply 3
tomdav
I think with the police there are no opportunities to enter at a higher level. You can get put on a graduate fast track scheme to get experience and promotion quicker but you have to begin as a constable. Im sure I read that if you are on the grad scheme you only have to do one year as a constable though...most other people have to do 2 years.

Yeah i've read that too about not being able to enter at a higher level. Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ... The MI5 thinks so. :cool: I guess it's mainly forensics?
Emsy

You can be a copper. Or you can do a PhD and struggle for an academic position.
Some do the PGCE and become school teachers.

Emsy
i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.

That is the entry point.

Emsy
Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ..
The MI5 thinks so. :cool:

The police have far too many criminology graduates applying, since they are sort of the default option for criminology students.
To realistically do anything at a higher level, you would need either forensic science qualifications (Masters/Phd)
or management qualifications (MBA ) and a track record.
You could go and take the CPE (common practise exam) its designed for non law students and then you cold go on to take the LPC or the BVC exams to become either a solicitor or a barrister! I'm thinking of dropping out of the LLB law and studying Criminology and English or Crim and Law, Is crim intresting?? xx
Reply 6
LawyerPrincess
You could go and take the CPE (common practise exam) its designed for non law students and then you cold go on to take the LPC or the BVC exams to become either a solicitor or a barrister! I'm thinking of dropping out of the LLB law and studying Criminology and English or Crim and Law, Is crim intresting?? xx

I really like criminology .. it is easy! Its also interesting and good fun. Im doing a joint degree with LLb Law and i have to say i have had my doubts too. I'm just looking at places where i could apply for work experience this Summer so i can see and maybe find something i'd like to do.

Ems x
Reply 7
i have a problem too...what do u do with a criminal justice degree... is it better to have a criminology one?
Reply 8
Criminal justice and criminology are near enough the same thing. Usual careers are police, probation, prison service, social worker, teacher, general graduate schemes, youth work, train to become a lawyer, CPS, business schemes etc. The list is endless really.
Mackem85
Criminal justice and criminology are near enough the same thing. Usual careers are police, probation, prison service, social worker, teacher, general graduate schemes, youth work, train to become a lawyer, CPS, business schemes etc. The list is endless really.

Ditto . . :yep:
Reply 10
Business, Law (conversion course), civil service are some examples.
Government criminologist. :yes:
Reply 12
WokSz
Business, Law (conversion course), civil service are some examples.

I was thinking of studying criminology then doing a coversion course to law after it, just wondering whether you knew how easy is it to get a place in taking a law conversion course?
Also, can you take the course at almost any university which offers law as a subject? or are there only specific universities which offer conversion courses for law :/ e.g. if i took crim at durham, could i do a coversion course there aswell
Reply 13
I think you can join the RAF as a criminologist, £29,000 a year after training, looks interesting :smile:
Emsy
Yeah i've read that too about not being able to enter at a higher level. Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ... The MI5 thinks so. I guess it's mainly forensics?

Haha. I thought of a job with MI5/SIS a while back because I found the concept of security, and its related themes, such as plural policing, interesting. But then, looking at the criminological literature, intelligence only came about because terrorism kicked it off from 9/11. Yeah, because terrorism wasn't considered a major topic of crime before then. :rolleyes:

Was never really interested in the police except for SOCA. Closest thing we have to the CIA I guess.
I'm interested in pursuing a career in criminology. I don't want to become a police officer, but instead become a professor and teach at a university. Would I need a B.A, M.A and Phd?
Reply 16
the po po
Reply 17
Original post by aheadbyacentury
I'm interested in pursuing a career in criminology. I don't want to become a police officer, but instead become a professor and teach at a university. Would I need a B.A, M.A and Phd?

You would need a MA and then a PhD to become a Professor/Doctor. Speak to your Criminology lecturers about which route you can take.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
What kind well paying careers are there with a criminology degree? Im set to study criminology in the UK(Im not from the UK). I dont realy care if the job is high-paying, just want a career il find interesting. But still would be good to make good money while working :P
Original post by Nezer
What kind well paying careers are there with a criminology degree? Im set to study criminology in the UK(Im not from the UK). I dont realy care if the job is high-paying, just want a career il find interesting. But still would be good to make good money while working :P

Put it this way, if you want to better yourself with a Criminology degree, you're going to have to go that extra mile and maybe study more!!!! I not long ago graduated, and I am struggling!! And the only way my friend and I can see to better ourselves, is to go back to the ''classroom''!!!! My friend is, however (I am having a year out, to just concentrate on getting better - I have been v v ill), going to do a course, in order to get her Legal Executive career started.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed doing my degree, but in a sense I feel like I have wasted 3yrs, and rung up unnecessary debts!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending