The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Was just wondering whether anybody had attended
one of the week long courses with UNIQ & what they thought? I was thinking of applying for French, and the opening deadline is coming up
pretty soon, so I just had a few questions like what is the
app. process like, and is the personal statement they ask for
like a 'real' personal statement? Thanks (: xx

Scroll to see replies

hey,

I'm also interested in this, albiet for medicine

any help???
Reply 2
Also hoping to apply for one of these but it'd be Law so would like to know. I know they used to be part of Sutton Trust so maybe change the question to that because UNIQ's only come in this year as Oxford have basically created their own Sutton Trust Summer School :smile:
/bump
Reply 4
I thought UNIQ was basically taking over from the sutton trust scheme :holmes: either way I'll probably be applying for the maths one.
Reply 5
What do you think the gcse requirement for the summer school would be for medicine?
Reply 6
ahh I didn't know about the sutton trust thing, thanks! (: The website is pretty useful generally, and it says students who excelled in GCSE so I'm guessing A* in whatever
you wanted to do? Or at least relevant for law......
Reply 7
Ro91
What do you think the gcse requirement for the summer school would be for medicine?

The 'Selection criteria' section on page 27/28 of http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/uniq/ says "In the past, participants on the medicine course have had a minimum of 5 A*."
Reply 8
its says looked after children will be considered as individual circumstances which i am :yes:
i wanna apply for medicine i got A* RS AAAAAAA(all 3 sciences, maths, IT, History, Art) BBB(french eng lang eng lit) redoing eng lang tho

shall i even bother applying as thats nowhere near 5A*s :frown:
Reply 9
Sheriann
its says looked after children will be considered as individual circumstances which i am :yes:
i wanna apply for medicine i got A* RS AAAAAAA(all 3 sciences, maths, IT, History, Art) BBB(french eng lang eng lit) redoing eng lang tho

shall i even bother applying as thats nowhere near 5A*s :frown:

Of course you shall bother applying, You can't win if you don't try. :smile: A defeatist attitude will never get you ANYWHERE.
+ It doesn't cost you anything (I assume - if there is an application fee you can probably get it waived)
+ will be a useful experience even if all you learn is how to write a personal statement (in case they don't accept you)
Reply 10
Hello guys! I work for the UNIQ Summer Schools and am happy to answer some of your questions.

The Personal Statement is intended to be like a mini-UCAS personal statement, to prepare you for writing a 'real' personal statement. You should write about why you've chosen the summer school course i.e., why you like Physics or Maths, what you've done in school and outside to support this. Also we want to know why you want to come on UNIQ, what you think you'll get out of it etc. There isn't a golden formula - just be yourself.

The UNIQ summer schools will be replacing the Sutton Trust summer schools at Oxford this year, and will run until 2014, getting bigger every year. This year we'll take 500 students on our courses. We are generally looking for higher GCSE grades than the Sutton Trust asked for, but we will look at your GCSEs in the context of the average GCSE grades gained at your school. So if you have done well, but generally your school hasn't got a high GCSE record, then even if you haven't got many A*s it would be worth applying. Basically, we're looking for people who do better than average in the context of their school, and have an interest in the subject they have applied for.

Hope this helps. Contact me at [email protected] if you have questions!
So if the performance of my school was fairly average should I apply even if my school isn't a target school? What are the chances of gaining a place?
Reply 12
There is always a point in applying. For a start, our application system is managed by UCAS, so it's a sort of 'trial' for a 'proper' UCAS form. Remember that some subjects are far more oversubscribed than others, so you've got less of a chance of getting a place if you're applying for Medicine, English, History, Law or Maths - think outside the box!

About 1 in 4 students on average who apply will get a place - give it a go, you might be surprised. But keep in mind that if you don't get a place, it won't in any way affect any eventual application to the University of Oxford, because the applications are completely separate.

Hope this helps!
Reply 13
i got 3A* 7A 1B at gcse is it worth for me to apply for the medicine one
kas85
Hello guys! I work for the UNIQ Summer Schools and am happy to answer some of your questions.

The Personal Statement is intended to be like a mini-UCAS personal statement, to prepare you for writing a 'real' personal statement. You should write about why you've chosen the summer school course i.e., why you like Physics or Maths, what you've done in school and outside to support this. Also we want to know why you want to come on UNIQ, what you think you'll get out of it etc. There isn't a golden formula - just be yourself.

The UNIQ summer schools will be replacing the Sutton Trust summer schools at Oxford this year, and will run until 2014, getting bigger every year. This year we'll take 500 students on our courses. We are generally looking for higher GCSE grades than the Sutton Trust asked for, but we will look at your GCSEs in the context of the average GCSE grades gained at your school. So if you have done well, but generally your school hasn't got a high GCSE record, then even if you haven't got many A*s it would be worth applying. Basically, we're looking for people who do better than average in the context of their school, and have an interest in the subject they have applied for.

Hope this helps. Contact me at [email protected] if you have questions!

I'm not entirely sure if I'll even apply to Oxford, do you have to be 100% sure?

And is it possible to apply if you've applied for Sutton Trust at another uni (and been rejected)?

Reply 15
I am thinking of applying but I want to do Economics which they don't have. Not quite sure how to show enthusiasm for something else as Economics is really what I like. =/
kai4321
I am thinking of applying but I want to do Economics which they don't have. Not quite sure how to show enthusiasm for something else as Economics is really what I like. =/

They don't have Politics either, which is what I'm probably going to apply for, despite being more passionate about/interested in English Lit (what I'm applying for in this).
I've still got to get shot of another 459 characters :colonhash:
I got to 30. And I want to be a writer :sad:
micky022
I gave up at about 1200. There's only so much you can say about how much I bum Law.

I really hope they just bin the statements as soon as they receive them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending