The Student Room Group

Referencing under Harvard system counting towards actual word count?

I am in the process of finishing my esssay, and one issue that is annoying me is that I am happy with my current essay. It falls within the word limit as well as it being written the way I wanted it to be.

However, I am slightly worried about the harvard system of referencing. Do these references in text (within these here brackets/whatever you call them) count towards the technical word limit? As it stands my word count is added on by 69 words. I realise the bibliography doesn't count, and thank god for that, as it takes up my word count to almost an extra 200 words.

Just let me know, quite simply, if references made in text count towards the actual word limt. It would help a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by Stanley Baldwin
I am in the process of finishing my esssay, and one issue that is annoying me is that I am happy with my current essay. It falls within the word limit as well as it being written the way I wanted it to be.

However, I am slightly worried about the harvard system of referencing. Do these references in text (within these here brackets/whatever you call them) count towards the technical word limit? As it stands my word count is added on by 69 words. I realise the bibliography doesn't count, and thank god for that, as it takes up my word count to almost an extra 200 words.

Just let me know, quite simply, if references made in text count towards the actual word limt. It would help a lot!

you would have to ask your university or tutor on that assignment. Some assignments under havard referencing counts and some doesn't.

You need second verification. The assignements that does not include word count states it on the Assessment Briefing.
Reply 2
I think this varies with university (and even department), but certainly in our CS department; in-text references don't count towards word count.

Thing is, you have to bear in mind that it's highly unlikely lecturers will count your paper word for word and will generally look at the overall layout to judge the amount you've typed....unless you're handing in an electronic copy, then I suppose they'll 'word count'.
Original post by MarcD
I think this varies with university (and even department), but certainly in our CS department; in-text references don't count towards word count.

Thing is, you have to bear in mind that it's highly unlikely lecturers will count your paper word for word and will generally look at the overall layout to judge the amount you've typed....unless you're handing in an electronic copy, then I suppose they'll 'word count'.

We hand in a paper copy (or two depending on which department is asking for the essay) and also submit it electronically for plagiarism reasons.

I will see what happens in the next thirty minutes. If I still don't hear from my tutor I will submit this as it is. Hell, with the current references I go over by 30 or so words. Surely they wouldn't fail me for such a small amount? Then again, they could always say "Ah, references". I could not imagine gutting my essay - as it stands it is perfect.

I have drawn one conclusion from this exercise - I hate Harvard Style. Chicago is far better and flexible.
Reply 4
Original post by Stanley Baldwin
We hand in a paper copy (or two depending on which department is asking for the essay) and also submit it electronically for plagiarism reasons.

I will see what happens in the next thirty minutes. If I still don't hear from my tutor I will submit this as it is. Hell, with the current references I go over by 30 or so words. Surely they wouldn't fail me for such a small amount? Then again, they could always say "Ah, references". I could not imagine gutting my essay - as it stands it is perfect.

I have drawn one conclusion from this exercise - I hate Harvard Style. Chicago is far better and flexible.

You're usually allowed to go over or under the word count by 10% anyway, so you'd be safe with 30 words, unless it's a really short essay. This depends on your university again though.
Varies by department/university. Also Harvard sucks major dick.
Reply 6
The bibliography typically won't count towards your final word count, but you may be able to slip the inline ones in.

Latest

Trending

Trending