The Student Room Group

Taking my driving test in my own car?

My driving test is in two weeks, and has luck would have it my driving instructor has suddenly had to cancel on me due to a commitment he can't get out of on that day (typical)

He gave me the option of either rebooking my test (the earliest date I can get is the 23rd of May...) or taking it in my own car. I drive my car a lot, almost daily (a lot more than my instructors) and am very confident in it, I am just concerned about not having a pre-test lesson and not having someone who has done it all before with me on that day to calm me down as it's my first test.

Has anyone got any advice? Or anyone taken the test in their own cars? Any advice much appreciated anyway :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I took my test in my own car and failed 7 times and passed on the 8th go. I don't think its because I was in my own car, probably just due to unfortunate circumstances.

Anyway, best wishes! Hope you pass your test :smile:
Original post by Loevly
My driving test is in two weeks, and has luck would have it my driving instructor has suddenly had to cancel on me due to a commitment he can't get out of on that day (typical)

He gave me the option of either rebooking my test (the earliest date I can get is the 23rd of May...) or taking it in my own car. I drive my car a lot, almost daily (a lot more than my instructors) and am very confident in it, I am just concerned about not having a pre-test lesson and not having someone who has done it all before with me on that day to calm me down as it's my first test.

Has anyone got any advice? Or anyone taken the test in their own cars? Any advice much appreciated anyway :smile:

I did, I just took it round all the worst points (we have veery narrow roads so there is one corner where you have to be in within an inch of a particular position else you will cross the white line and fail) and parking and discovered my own marks...
so when my left mirror is just past the post of the corner, i turn my wheel fully to the left... etc :smile:
Reply 4
I took my test in my car, mostly because I only took 5 lessons before taking my test, meaning I was more used to my own car. I'd certainly recommend it if you know your car well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Loevly

A girl i know from work did her test in her own car and passed first time. You should be fine, especially if you have had a lot of practice in your car.
If you have someone who has the time to drive around the test area with you for an hour or so before the test, then there's no reason why you can't pass in your car. I did that, and many other people have done that. Make sure you know where all the essentials are for the show me tell me questions. Oil, brake fluid, warning lights etc.

Make sure your car is roadworthy, no damage to the tyres, all lights working correctly, extra interior mirror fitted for the examiner. I know this sounds obvious, but they get a lot of people turning up for tests who have to be turned away because their car isn't suitable.
Reply 7
how can you do it if there is no controls for the examiner if you go dangerous?

also you need to get him a mirror
Reply 8
I passed my last driving test in my own car (my own fault for not checking with my instructor before booking). Apparently doing it in your own car does make the examiner a bit more nervous and more likely to be paying more attention because they don't have any controls. But at the same time, if you've been driving it around for a while, you're more likely to feel comfortable with it.
Like somebody else said, make sure you have an extra mirror fitted and it complies with the requirements, otherwise go for it!
It also saves you money as you don't have to pay for your lessons before or the car whilst you take your test.
Reply 9
Original post by shinytoy
how can you do it if there is no controls for the examiner if you go dangerous?

also you need to get him a mirror

The point of your driving test is that you are ready to drive independently. You shouldn't need dual controls. If you thought that you did, that person shouldn't be taking their test.
Reply 10
Original post by Sarky
The point of your driving test is that you are ready to drive independently. You shouldn't need dual controls. If you thought that you did, that person shouldn't be taking their test.

so what happens of somesone does a test in their own car and gets a 'dangerous' after all, it wouldnt be on the green test sheet if no-one doing a test ever got it. at least with dual controls an accident can be averted. but what happens withuout if you do a dangerous?
Reply 11
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Lol, similar thing happened to me. My instructor was on holiday the week of my test.

But I was worse off than you because I hadn't driven another car and didn't have my own. So on the day of the test I had to hire an Arnold Clark Corsa and sit it in that. My only experience of driving it pre-test was driving it from Arnold Clark to the Test Centre with my dad in the passenger seat.

The bloody thing broke down on the way there!

But, I made it to the test centre, passed the test with 3 minors. So, if I can do it under those conditions then you should be fine.

how comes could you hire a car?

DRIVERS
Drivers must be aged 23 years or over (Standard upwards 25 years or over) and possess a full category British driving licence for the type of vehicle rented. Overseas visitors must produce a valid domestic driving licence or an international driving permit accompanied by a passport. Drivers are required to have held a full, clean driving licence for a minimum of 12 months and have a clear insurance record

http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/guide-to-renting/terms-of-hire

did you dad hire it for you or what?

i want to hire cars since whn i drive i only need for a day a week but cant find anyone to rent me for one day a week
Reply 12
Original post by bluebell100
I took my test in my own car and failed 7 times and passed on the 8th go. I don't think its because I was in my own car, probably just due to unfortunate circumstances.

Anyway, best wishes! Hope you pass your test :smile:

ooooh im so glad im not the only person (7th attempt next saturday)
My test is coming up very soon I've already took five tests in my instructors car but gave my own car which I drive daily I'm thinking of doing it my own car for my next test do I have to inform the test centre I'm bringing my own car for the test or just turn up ?
Reply 14
ive also got my driving test im taking my own car as ive been driving it all the time u are allowed to take the person u drove with with u in the back but they are not allowed to speak at all if u fill your comfortable with that person then take them with you hope this helps good luck its also my first test as well
Do i need my instructor there if i do my test in my own car
Original post by Niallmc54
Do i need my instructor there if i do my test in my own car

No, but someone has to drive with you there....usually you pay your instructor for the time and to use the car in the test
Reply 17
You also need a second interior mirror for the examiner according to the DVLA website (which I don't really understand the reasoning behind - is this the case if you use an instructor's car?).
Reply 18
If you need someone to "calm you down" perhaps you are not ready?Instead of wasting money and confidence on failing tests use your money to have more lessons with an instructor.Slow and steady and you will pass.You can hir dual control cars from Arnold Clark for £9 per hour if a friend supervises who has a clen licence and is ?over 25 years .Don't rush and good luck when the test comes up next
Original post by JD95
You also need a second interior mirror for the examiner according to the DVLA website (which I don't really understand the reasoning behind - is this the case if you use an instructor's car?).

I'bvve never seen a driving school car without a second interior mirroer for instructor / examiner use - it;s so they can check oto the rear before the emergency stop etc and to observe the effect of your driving on others