The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 2 18th January

The exam is on Wednesday and I'm struggling with my revision!
Any ideas on what is likely to come up?
Help would be appreciated please! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HollyL

aha same situation as you i just started revising last week, i been learning about plants and fishes gas exchange.
Reply 2
I really hated the jan 2011 paper, it was horrid!
I scored well in the other but this one really killed me! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by kingam
aha same situation as you i just started revising last week, i been learning about plants and fishes gas exchange.

Uhh ohhh...
Well I'm resitting it as I did awful in June!
Yeah, I guess it's hard to guess what will be on the paper really
Original post by HollyL
Uhh ohhh...

What'd you get?
I forgot most of the stuff from last year :frown: Need to finish plant transport.
Reply 5
Original post by HollyL

Mate I haven't even started yet.
Reply 6
Original post by HollyL
Uhh ohhh...

i Got a C pretty bad I haven't revised much hopefully will be easier paper than june
Reply 7
Usually when the exam is hard the lower the grade boundaries, between 70%-62% needed for an A.
Reply 8
Original post by ??????????????????
What'd you get?
I forgot most of the stuff from last year :frown: Need to finish plant transport.

I got an E. I was horrified!
I've just done that.. the transpiration?
Any notes peeps can share?
Reply 10
How is revision going.
Reply 11
I seem to be doing terribly in past papers.. and I still dont understand tissue fluid or plants :frown: Its a resit aswell
Reply 12
Original post by .Missy
I seem to be doing terribly in past papers.. and I still dont understand tissue fluid or plants :frown: Its a resit aswell

Ditto!

Does anyone know how to work ou the Mass of DNA/arbitrary units? :confused:
Reply 13
Even AQA are not consistent with their mark schemes. FML.
Original post by Master.K
Ditto!

Does anyone know how to work ou the Mass of DNA/arbitrary units? :confused:

Are you referring to that question that came up in the June 2009 paper or something? If so, I can explain it :smile:

I'm comfortable with the majority of except Cell Cycle so need to go over that tonight and do some exam practice.
Reply 15
Original post by LifeIsGood
Are you referring to that question that came up in the June 2009 paper or something? If so, I can explain it :smile:

I'm comfortable with the majority of except Cell Cycle so need to go over that tonight and do some exam practice.

Yeah I don't get it either surely if the number of chromosomes were the same the mass would be the same.
Original post by Besakt
Yeah I don't get it either surely if the number of chromosomes were the same the mass would be the same.

Ok look at this question, first fill in the sperm cell - which is half the chromosomes as it is a gamete. If it has half the chromosomes, it will have 1/4 of the mass of DNA. I'll explain this after I'm finished with the Telophase bit.

Look back at the concept of mitosis...what is it? It's the cell division which produces TWO IDENTICAL cells as the SAME number of CHROMOSOMES. So the chromosome number is 26. BUT the mass of the DNA halves as that one parent cell (at stage of prophase) splits equally into TWO so it halves.

Going back to the mass of the DNA of the sperm cell, the telophase is talking about TWO cells. The sperm cell only comes from ONE of those TWO cells so the mass of DNA also is halved again from the telophase one.

Hopefully that helps :smile:
Need to do the January 2011 past paper and make sure I can work on my mistakes, looks like the hardest paper so far :/
Reply 18
Original post by LifeIsGood

Ok look at this question, first fill in the sperm cell - which is half the chromosomes as it is a gamete. If it has half the chromosomes, it will have 1/4 of the mass of DNA. I'll explain this after I'm finished with the Telophase bit.

Look back at the concept of mitosis...what is it? It's the cell division which produces TWO IDENTICAL cells as the SAME number of CHROMOSOMES. So the chromosome number is 26. BUT the mass of the DNA halves as that one parent cell (at stage of prophase) splits equally into TWO so it halves.

Going back to the mass of the DNA of the sperm cell, the telophase is talking about TWO cells. The sperm cell only comes from ONE of those TWO cells so the mass of DNA also is halved again from the telophase one.

Hopefully that helps :smile:

Does that mean if a cell keeps reproducing via mitosis it will eventually have pretty much no mass? Or does the mass tart to increase when it enters the interphase stage.
Original post by Besakt
Does that mean if a cell keeps reproducing via mitosis it will eventually have pretty much no mass? Or does the mass tart to increase when it enters the interphase stage.

I think that goes into too much detail, they are simply asking if you understand how the concept 'works'.

Did my explanation help you though?

Quick Reply

Latest