The Student Room Group

A* possible?

I love psychology! its an amazing course I want to get an A* overall.

I am doing Psychology A and doing unit 1, unit 2 and unit 4 in the summer

For unit 3 I got 51/75

What do I need in unit 1, unit 2 and unit 4 to get A*?

Scroll to see replies

Well to get an A* you need over 90% at A2 and 80% overall average.

Unit 3, is that A2 or AS? If it's A2 then I'm not sure if that will be enough, if it's AS then you could still manage it if you get the highest possible marks in your other Units.
Reply 2
Unit 3 is A2
Original post by Historophilia
Well to get an A* you need over 90% at A2 and 80% overall average.

Unit 3, is that A2 or AS? If it's A2 then I'm not sure if that will be enough, if it's AS then you could still manage it if you get the highest possible marks in your other Units.

Unit 3 is A2, yes.

I don't actually know, but I just thought I should clarify that :colondollar:
Reply 4
Sorry, you can't.

68% is not sufficient in unit 3; even if you got 100% in unit 4, you'd only average 84% at A2 and you require 90% overall at A2.
Reply 5
sorry but you cant :frown: You need to retake to get an A*
Reply 6
Original post by Jam'
Sorry, you can't.

68% is not sufficient in unit 3; even if you got 100% in unit 4, you'd only average 84% at A2 and you require 90% overall at A2.

Isn't the OPs mark raw (as I assume the ums mark would be out of 100).

Therefore we need the ums mark to answer the question
Reply 7
ums mark for unit 3 was 68
You need to be me and be amazing
Original post by raman1

In which case the answer is no, your UMS would generally have to be over 90 (percentage and UMS aren't the same thing but there is a correlation, if you've got over 90 UMS that usually means your percentage was over that as well).
Reply 10
Original post by raman1

No you can't get it unless you retake unit 3.
Also 68/100 does NOT mean 51/75.
According to the grade boundaries you achieved 37/75
Reply 11
Original post by raman1
I love psychology! its an amazing course I want to get an A* overall.

I am doing Psychology A and doing unit 1, unit 2 and unit 4 in the summer

For unit 3 I got 51/75

What do I need in unit 1, unit 2 and unit 4 to get A*?

As stated already you wont be able to achieve the A* unless you retake unit 3 and get atleast 90% in the paper.

To get an A* you need to get over 80% on both AS papers and then over 90% on both A2 papers.

I would aim for an A, its more possible but you need to work your socks off.
Original post by Mephestic
As stated already you wont be able to achieve the A* unless you retake unit 3 and get atleast 90% in the paper.

To get an A* you need to get over 80% on both AS papers and then over 90% on both A2 papers.

Interestingly enough that's not the case, your average over the whole of AS and A2 needs to be 80%, each individual paper at AS doesn't need to be though.
Reply 13
Interestingly enough that's not the case, your average over the whole of AS and A2 needs to be 80%, each individual paper at AS doesn't need to be though.

yeah sorry my bad was trying to remember from memory :biggrin:

I'm curious. Would you need 90% in each A2 paper or would it need to average out to 90 ums i.e. 84 ums in one paper and 96 ums in another.
Reply 15
sorry can someone clarify for me.. you need 80% overall at AS level and 90% at A2 to get an A*?
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
I'm curious. Would you need 90% in each A2 paper or would it need to average out to 90 ums i.e. 84 ums in one paper and 96 ums in another.

No I think that at A2 both papers have to be over 90%.
No I think that at A2 both papers have to be over 90%.

Oh ok, I see.
Reply 18
Original post by Mephestic

So what do you advise I do?
Reply 19
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
You need to be me and be amazing

What did you get? Where you in the same situation as me?

Quick Reply

Latest