The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Biology at Bath 2012

Ive got offers froma all my other unis leeds, queens belfast, queens london and lincoln but im still waiting for a reply from bath
so was wondering has anyone else got an offer for biology at bath and do they always take this long
DD applied and her offer arrived after all of the others. Don't give up hope!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
What date did you send your application? I got offers from all my other universities in December, this is the only one I'm waiting on. I've not got the option of waiting too long though, cause my other firm choice has limited accommodation!
Reply 3
i applied end of november/start of december
Reply 4
I applied on the 5th of October and had my offer on the 14th. It was probably just because I applied early though.
Unfortunately Bath tend to be one of the last uni's to send out offers. Best of luck to you all though
Reply 6
Does anyone know if it is possible to switch from biology to biochem as soon as the course starts? (Applied Bio but wish to change)
Reply 7
I do Bio at Bath. Very good course, a lot of hard work though and LOTS of content to learn - it's what you'd expect from a top university though.

Highly recommended.
Original post by thecdon
I do Bio at Bath. Very good course, a lot of hard work though and LOTS of content to learn - it's what you'd expect from a top university though.

Highly recommended.

Hi :smile:, I might be a biology fresher in september :smile:, I really like the look of the modules :biggrin:
I was just wondering about the lab work aspect of it though, I would love to accept my offer but I'm really unsure of my capability :frown: is it a difficult aspect? Does it get assessed? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by RebeccaLydia
Hi :smile:, I might be a biology fresher in september :smile:, I really like the look of the modules :biggrin:
I was just wondering about the lab work aspect of it though, I would love to accept my offer but I'm really unsure of my capability :frown: is it a difficult aspect? Does it get assessed? Thanks :smile:

Hey!
You'll be assessed on basic lab skills for part of your tutorial units. It seems hard as it's new skills and quite a bit of work, but that's university for you! It's important for use in your whole degree though! I am rubbish at practical work and I get by ok! anymore questions I'll be happy to help :smile:
Original post by thecdon
Hey!
You'll be assessed on basic lab skills for part of your tutorial units. It seems hard as it's new skills and quite a bit of work, but that's university for you! It's important for use in your whole degree though! I am rubbish at practical work and I get by ok! anymore questions I'll be happy to help :smile:

Hehe I think it's one of those things I'm going to have to stick in and deal with then :P is there many people in a tutorial?
Thanks :smile: another thing Ive been wondering about is the amount of work... How much revision do you think is needed when it comes to exam time?:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by RebeccaLydia
Hehe I think it's one of those things I'm going to have to stick in and deal with then :P is there many people in a tutorial?
Thanks :smile: another thing Ive been wondering about is the amount of work... How much revision do you think is needed when it comes to exam time?:smile:

Umm well like I said there's a tutorial unit "BB10001" I think it's called...consists of the practical aspect of the course, and for semester 1 you will be set assessed work consisting of a presentation, a couple of essays and just some general work set - whatever your tutor desires. There are roughly 4-6 people per tutorial group.

The thing I've personally learnt, I guess I can't really judge as I'm only a first year - but university is about putting in the work - nobody will make you do anything, it's all about being a responsible adult, organising and motivating yourself.

I managed to get a first for my semester 1 examinations and I probably did about 5 days solid revision for my 5 exams. There are people who were revising straight through from October - early January who managed a 2:2 though so it's hard to gauge really.

Put the work in and you'll do well - that's a rule of thumb :smile: x
Original post by thecdon
Umm well like I said there's a tutorial unit "BB10001" I think it's called...consists of the practical aspect of the course, and for semester 1 you will be set assessed work consisting of a presentation, a couple of essays and just some general work set - whatever your tutor desires. There are roughly 4-6 people per tutorial group.

The thing I've personally learnt, I guess I can't really judge as I'm only a first year - but university is about putting in the work - nobody will make you do anything, it's all about being a responsible adult, organising and motivating yourself.

I managed to get a first for my semester 1 examinations and I probably did about 5 days solid revision for my 5 exams. There are people who were revising straight through from October - early January who managed a 2:2 though so it's hard to gauge really.

Put the work in and you'll do well - that's a rule of thumb :smile: x

Thanks for the advice :smile: I really hope I manage to stay on top of it all. xxx
Reply 13
Great, tough and interesting course. First year will seem hard, but when it comes to exam time make thorough use of the past papers. People tend to gauge what will come up in what section and focus their learning there. First year involves scary new topics, huge lecture theatres and a workload that nobodies used to, but it gets better. Be happy in the knowledge that first year won't effect your degree and just focus on building up some knowledge, and coursework/exam technique.

The practicals really aren't tough. You just have to read the booklets step by step instructions carefully.

One word of advise if you do choose to attend; do NOT underestimate genetics in the first year. Be prepared to give it your all.

It's honestly a lovely place and the workload isn't too bad though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest